color
clarity

Help! Need opinions about this cushion cut diamond *PICS*

urasia

Rough_Rock
Re: Help! Need opinions about this cushion cut diamond *PICS

Gypsy|1414115367|3771899 said:
Have ERD make the setting if you go customer

They have a VERY VERY good bench. Don't get it made in AUS. Almost all our Aussie members deeply lament the use of Australian jewelers and usually end up using US jewelers instead.

You want a diamond collar around the stone with a plain solitaire.

So do you want it like this one? http://www.dvatche.com/index.php?page=collection&search=caroline%20&id=53 (obviously made for a cushion)

Because if this is what you want, Vatche makes it, and GOG carries it. But ERD can get it too. So either stone vendor could get you want you want.

There's also this one (personal favorite): http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-julia-solitaire/ (made for a cushion).

Yes! Thanks Gypsy, something along those lines but with a finer flat band (I'm thinking flat tapered band rather than round) and the prongs going through the inside of the diamond collar and set a little lower under the girdle than those ones. I also want to have the prongs set on the sides of the stone rather than on the corners as they are usually held.

Do you think any of these vendors would be able to custom something like that? Also if I get the diamond from one vendor can I send it to another to be set?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

BE can do that for you very simply. I do not recommend setting your stone that way though. Ask BE what they think.

Yes, you can have the setting made by one vendor and buy the stone from another. But it's better to have the setting sent to the stone vendor and have the stone vendor set it. Why? They will insure the stone while it is being set. The setting vendor won't.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just becareful and make sure you get CADs from BE.

You don't want it to turn out all awkward like this:
74501_797339089067_15606488_42617833_697318_n.jpg

But is more like this:
file.jpg

I recommend bright cut pave.

urasia

Rough_Rock

Tekate|1414051836|3771455 said:
David was great when I bought my AVC early this year.. great company to work with. Love their AVC and AVRs.. best of luck!

Hi Tekate! David and Jon have been wonderful so far, I've really enjoyed my whole experience with GOG. Mark at BE has been extremely helpful and informative also :) They're both totally cream of the crop and each have been able so source an amazing diamond within my specs and preferences with ASETS, Videos etc.. also included.

Hopefully I can decide on the winner soon and start thinking about setting options!!

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414127425|3771975 said:
BE can do that for you very simply. I do not recommend setting your stone that way though. Ask BE what they think.

Yes, you can have the setting made by one vendor and buy the stone from another. But it's better to have the setting sent to the stone vendor and have the stone vendor set it. Why? They will insure the stone while it is being set. The setting vendor won't.

Thank you for the advice regarding settings Gypsy! I think I need to have a good think about which direction to go in regards to custom or ready made. If I do go with BE i'll ask Mark for his opinion as I know he is very highly regarded in the PS community.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you think it's a good idea to set the stone the way I was thinking?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

If you meant that the prongs would be set on the straight sides, not the corners I'm not sure it's a secure way to set a stone. But I am not a jeweler, so you need to know from a jeweler if it is.

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1414217804|3772387 said:
If you meant that the prongs would be set on the straight sides, not the corners I'm not sure it's a secure way to set a stone. But I am not a jeweler, so you need to know from a jeweler if it is.

Thanks Gypsy, I've seen it has been done this way by some very famous (and expensive) celebrity jewelers on some very significant sized stones so I thought it might possibly be even easier to pull off on a much smaller diamond. I'll be sure to do my research and get some professional advice either way before I proceed in that direction (if I do).

Again, I really appreciate all the advice you've given, I'm sure I'll be back on this thread asking more questions soon lol

But seriously, you have been incredible and have contributed to making this experience an informative and enjoyable one when it seemed so daunting and overwhelming at the start of my search. Thank you so so much!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

That's what we are here for.

You can start a thread, a new one, titled "Aussie jeweler experiences" if you like. We have quite a few Aussie posters. :wavey:

urasia

Rough_Rock

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd post an update.

I received both daylight videos from GOG and BE and decided to go with the 1.58 G VS2 diamond from GOG.

It wasn't an easy decision, something about the 1.58 just appealed to me more personally. I think it was the slightly more rectangular shape and the sharp splintery faceting.

The BE diamond is gorgeous too though and was sourced and hand picked my Mark who said this one really impressed and surprised him, since modern faceted cushions don't usually perform so well.

Below are links to the 2 videos, I would love to hear the thoughts of the experts here (especially you Gypsy!) in regards to an unbiased comparison of these diamonds for all of us amateurs out there :)

1.58 G VS2 and 2.01 I VVS1 from GOG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDe789zuPIg

1.61 G VS2 from BE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVZolSsNpw4

urasia

Rough_Rock

Just an FYI update for anyone who might read this thread, in then end I went with the 1.58 G VS2 Modified Brilliant Cushion diamond from GOG, custom made platinum solitaire setting (1.8mm shank width) with open profile u cut pave basket by ERD/BE. I have yet to see the diamond or the setting in real life but am so excited now after seeing these pics of the finished product. I'll post a proper review in SMTB or Testimonials section with more pics, hand shots etc... and a detailed review of my overall experience after the ring arrives.

_25315.jpg

_25314.jpg

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

I love the diamond you chose and that setting is really beautiful! :love: I'm obsessed with that prong placement & am determined to go that route if I ever get a cushion cut diamond. Please come back and do a SMTB thread once you receive your ring :))

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful! Can't wait to see hand shots.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Oh my. That turned out lovely. Can't wait for your pics of it! On pins and needles.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

urasia|1418905071|3803524 said:
Just an FYI update for anyone who might read this thread, in then end I went with the 1.58 G VS2 Modified Brilliant Cushion diamond from GOG, custom made platinum solitaire setting (1.8mm shank width) with open profile u cut pave basket by ERD/BE. I have yet to see the diamond or the setting in real life but am so excited now after seeing these pics of the finished product. I'll post a proper review in SMTB or Testimonials section with more pics, hand shots etc... and a detailed review of my overall experience after the ring arrives.

I *adore* your ring setting! Out of curiosity (and no small part self-interest), though I'm assuming Mark said your diamond would be secure in this setting, would you mind providing his specific comments regarding this prong placement and stone safety?

urasia

Rough_Rock

marymm|1418938005|3803807 said:
urasia|1418905071|3803524 said:

I *adore* your ring setting! Out of curiosity (and no small part self-interest), though I'm assuming Mark said your diamond would be secure in this setting, would you mind providing his specific comments regarding this prong placement and stone safety?

Hi Marymm, Mark didn't have any issues with this prong setting to be honest so I would assume it's secure. If anything he was more concerned about the shank width, I wanted 1.5mm initially and he suggested for integrity purposes we should do 2mm, we compromised and agreed with 1.8mm in the end. The prong orientation wasn't really discussed so I assume all good in that regard :)

urasia

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1418927737|3803697 said:
Oh my. That turned out lovely. Can't wait for your pics of it! On pins and needles.

Hi Gypsy, so glad you responded to this thread. You were an invaluable source of information during this journey and I don't think I could have got to this point without your help!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

I love the prong placement for your cushion! :love:

urasia

Rough_Rock

woofmama|1418910012|3803572 said:
I love the diamond you chose and that setting is really beautiful! :love: I'm obsessed with that prong placement & am determined to go that route if I ever get a cushion cut diamond. Please come back and do a SMTB thread once you receive your ring :))

telephone89|1418926413|3803687 said:
Beautiful! Can't wait to see hand shots.

lknvrb4|1418987539|3804119 said:
I love the prong placement for your cushion! :love:

Thank you everyone!! I knew it might be a bit risky but I chose this prong placement mainly because I really wanted to showcase the shape of the cushion diamond while also being a little edgy. My modern take on the 'classic' solitaire!

I think it has worked out well although I'm not allowed to see the ring in person until it's 'time', if you know what I mean ;-) hehe
My partner has opened the package and seen the diamond and setting IRL and is blown away, he can't wait for me to see it myself! I'll definitely do a SMTB thread with hand shots and all once I receive the ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results