shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me pick a MRB - not my forte :-)

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
I have a $1300 credit at Pearlman's...tried to sell it on LT, but I am so impatient! :lol:

Even though they have amazing pieces, I have my heart set on just a few pieces to round out my collection (which currently just consists of my e-ring).

Keep in mind that my e-ring is a 3.55 GIA M and I'm currently having an alternating FC/OEC band made in YG milgrained bezels.

I have been planning to add 1 cttw OEC studs and an AC or AVC pendant in the future, but I really need to use this credit as I've been sitting on it for too long.

So, I am thinking of getting the biggest MRB I can for the money and putting it in a pendant for now. Then when the bling tree grows again, find a match and make them studs.

I "know" old cuts...don't know ANYTHING about MRBs so help me please :bigsmile: :

I will most likely set pendant/earrings in YG bezels ala "Barbara milgrain"...

Questions:
1. Will it look strange to have a MRB pendant or studs with my current pieces?
2. I am obviously not too color sensitive, but I would like to know how low in color/clarity it is safe to go with MRB pendant/studs?
3. If you are so inclined, please take a look at the stones offered on their website...I would love a starting point.

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/diamond-search/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is there a reason you don't want to ask Bill to find you a nice OEC for the pendant? It sounds like you prefer old cuts. And Bill can source them for you.

As for a nice RB. Just call Bill and tell him you want an AGS0.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not do what you are proposing to do. I think you will regret it later. I think you'd want OEC (or AVR) studs. This diamond would be so small in comparison to your e-ring that I don't think you'd be happy with it for studs or a pendant.

One other note, I can deal with lower colors in antique stones but not in MRB. I just would encourage you to maybe get a pair of BK earrings or something with the credit. Or give it more time to find a buyer.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy|1408845153|3738334 said:
Is there a reason you don't want to ask Bill to find you a nice OEC for the pendant? It sounds like you prefer old cuts. And Bill can source them for you.

As for a nice RB. Just call Bill and tell him you want an AGS0.

I do have a reason! It's because I had NO IDEA he could source OECs!!! :D :appl: Didn't even think of it! I do prefer old cuts. That is exactly what I will do Monday. Thanks Gypsy...seriously, I was getting desperate!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you don't have any luck with that look at some of their preloved pieces they sometimes have antique things or for the amount you have credited I personally would go for a Beverly K band, have a look on their website some of them are beautiful and they would go with what you have already, or ask them to help you make a pair of OEC studs.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1408845475|3738335 said:
I would not do what you are proposing to do. I think you will regret it later. I think you'd want OEC (or AVR) studs. This diamond would be so small in comparison to your e-ring that I don't think you'd be happy with it for studs or a pendant.

One other note, I can deal with lower colors in antique stones but not in MRB. I just would encourage you to maybe get a pair of BK earrings or something with the credit. Or give it more time to find a buyer.

Hi DS! :wavey: Always the voice of reason. :D

So, I am wondering what you think a good size for OEC studs would be for me? It's funny...I have double pierced ears but never wear earrings and all the sudden I "woke up" to the idea of studs and now it's an obsession. :Up_to_something: How about for a pendant?

I didn't really think they needed to be in proportion to my e-ring, but please enlighten me. :confused: :read:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1408846608|3738342 said:
Ohhhh! And who is making your band??? I really want one of those, too!

Caysie is making the band. I'm so excited! I've been sitting on 5 3mm FCs from GemFever for about a year trying to decide what to do with them. It will be alternating with OECs...bezels...milgrain...YG. She posted a pic of the CAD recently on her FB page. :D

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1408847716|3738349 said:
If you don't have any luck with that look at some of their preloved pieces they sometimes have antique things or for the amount you have credited I personally would go for a Beverly K band, have a look on their website some of them are beautiful and they would go with what you have already, or ask them to help you make a pair of OEC studs.

Hi arkie! :wavey:

I'm such a ridiculously picky person. Seriously! :nono: I just don't like anything. Or as my 3 yo says much cuter "I don yike it". I have tried finding something on the website, but I have such clear ideas of what I want to spend money on right now. I want an ACC/AVC pendant, OEC studs, my frenchie band and that's pretty much it....oh well, besides a Cartier Love bracelet that I strangely covet and will probably never get. :lol:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmmm, in that case I'd go for getting them to source a nice pair of OECs for earrings for you that way if you are uber fussy about the cut they are on your ears rather than in a pendant. What size AVC do you want? I am trying to sell a .99 one at the moment that I am about to consign somewhere that would look amazing in a pendant.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
valmanin|1408847975|3738351 said:
diamondseeker2006|1408846608|3738342 said:
Ohhhh! And who is making your band??? I really want one of those, too!

Caysie is making the band. I'm so excited! I've been sitting on 5 3mm FCs from GemFever for about a year trying to decide what to do with them. It will be alternating with OECs...bezels...milgrain...YG. She posted a pic of the CAD recently on her FB page. :D

Awesome! She will do a great job! I love the one she made me, but I still think about one with all diamonds!

As to size, I think less than a carat for a pendant would be too small, because I have a .80 mrb in a pendant now and feel like it is too small compared to my 2.3 ct diamond. My studs are .80 each and I think 1 ct each would be ideal. So really for me, if I were to do a pendant, I'd either do a delicate halo or do a larger solitaire like 1.25-1.5. I think that is NOT going to happen, so the delicate halo probably will be what happens! My pendant stone is a family stone so I have to keep it. It is well cut because I had BG recut it down from 1 ct. BUT, I find that I like old cut styles so much that I wish all my diamonds were old cut, with the exception of things like my DBTY where the sparkle of the rb's is advantageous and the old cuts wouldn't really show in stones that small.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1408849617|3738354 said:
Hmmmm, in that case I'd go for getting them to source a nice pair of OECs for earrings for you that way if you are uber fussy about the cut they are on your ears rather than in a pendant. What size AVC do you want? I am trying to sell a .99 one at the moment that I am about to consign somewhere that would look amazing in a pendant.

That AVC is tempting. :naughty:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
arkieb1|1408849617|3738354 said:

yep...already saw your AVC for sale. Believe me, I was trying to come up with a "get rich quick" scheme so I could snag it! That is exactly what I want for a pendant, but out of my budget right now. Drat! I have a $1300 credit at Pearlmans and can probably double it for studs, but that is my limit for the time being.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bill can source anything you need, in terms of diamonds. Just give him a call. :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In that case then I'd definitely see what they can source you for studs. I think you will need around a carat at least for a pendant otherwise, I agree with DS it will seem small compared to your ring.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Update: I called Bill last week and asked for him to source some OECs for studs. I just talked to him and apparently he found an antique bypass ring with 2 .60 - .65 carat white, clean OECs that are well-matched. I am excited and nervous to see pics! He, of course, probably doesn't know how picky I am. :snooty: They could be really bubbly OMCs which I like but wouldn't want for my studs. They could be anything. :errrr: We shall see! I really have my fingers crossed that this works out...he is such a nice man!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds promising! Bill is truly a gem of a guy - pun intended! Can't wait to see what you think of the stones!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
He is great! Unfortunately, the stones were not. :cry: It was a bypass ring...one stone was more tranny and the other more OEC...plus they were not a good color match. Oh well!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results