Which diamond would you pick?

• Diamond A

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Pass and wait for one that meets your heart''s desire

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Of the 2, and just seeing the photos, I preferred stone B. I can''t sey that I was too excited about either one. Photos can be tough. I think you will have to look at the stones in person. If one blows you away, go for it. If not, wait until you find one that blows you away. Do you have a time constraint?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 9:31:43 PM
Author: DiamanteBlu
Of the 2, and just seeing the photos, I preferred stone B. I can''t sey that I was too excited about either one. Photos can be tough. I think you will have to look at the stones in person. If one blows you away, go for it. If not, wait until you find one that blows you away. Do you have a time constraint?
I have seen both stones in person and couldn''t choose even after looking at them for an hour. Neither was perfect and just what I was looking for but I could be waiting half a year before something comes along. I don''t have a specific time constraint but I am holding up my boyfriend''s proposal. We both want the proposal to happen with the ring we keep for a long time.

lovewhitediamonds

Brilliant_Rock
I like B better... but I''m not a fan of fluorescence....

Honestly, if neither one "makes your heart sing" then I would wait for "the one" -- it will be worth it.
Remember you will be wearing and looking at this stone every day... you should LOVE it!

Good luck!

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
I know you don''t want to hear this, but I want to see you get the stone that you feel you couldn''t possibly conceive of passing up. If none of these fit that description, then maybe you should wait. Something will come up. Mark wants you to be happy and so does your boyfriend, so why not just hang tight? If you''re having trouble deciding, maybe it''s because there is not one that completely does it for you.

Personally, I prefer the faceting on stone A better, but the VSB fluor would bug me if my setting had other diamonds in it. Maybe if you listed the pros and cons of each stone a bit and their performance characteristics, it would help.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Pixley - I appreciate your response. The question you pose is one I have been asking myself - am I willing to pass on these stones? I am hesistant because what if nothing better comes along. You should see the model I set up with a whole scoring method included weighted priorities. My model ended up having all 3 diamonds with an equal score!! I tried figuring out what was the most important to me and it appears everything is. I need the white color, beautiful shape, relatively flawless, and super bright and sparkly.

I think the floursence is really cool but I am worried the coolness will wear off really quickly and the diamond will look strange to me. Diamond A is a beautiful white in real life under normal light but I am not too keen on the shape. My current diamond is also slightly bigger. Diamond B is more square and larger (a bonus) but I actually love the shape of the diamond I own right now. I also would like a smaller table and culet. In real life, my eye was drawn to Diamond B (perhaps due to size) yet something kept pulling me back to Diamond A. Diamond A was whitter (if that is even possible since they are both D). I also kept thinking about the inclusions in Diamond B which I can only see under the loupe. In photos, Diamond A appears to be the clear winner.

I know .. I am just so darn picky!

Are you loving either of the stones?

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Charmy, I''m sorry I know you want an answer, but it seems like you are settling...
I know we can''t really judge by photos, but TBH neither really jumped out at me - at least not like when I have seen pics of others'' chunky cushions on here and thought "phwoaar"!

They are both pretty, but it doesn''t seem like you really love either?
Have you considered an antique cushion, do you like them?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 1:21:15 AM
Author: arjunajane

I am considering anything and everything as long as it somewhat meets my requirements. It is really hard to find a true antique stone that is colorless. I found that I really do need a colorless stone - I don''t like any warmth at all. Wahhh... why is it so hard to find a nice stone for me!

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto to Pixley''s post. Something will come along...you probably won''t have to wait as long as you think.

It might help to think of it like this...if he presented you with just one of these, either one, and not both. Would you go for it? Sounds like you have your reservations about each one individually.

If I had to choose, I''d go with A...I like the SBF. But, maybe not if you will have large sidestones??

And, don''t worry about holding up your engagement...mine is 6 years and counting, don''t I think it is ABOUT TIME?!?!
10.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 1:27:13 AM
Author: CharmyPoo

They are both pretty, but it doesn't seem like you really love either?
I am considering anything and everything as long as it somewhat meets my requirements. It is really hard to find a true antique stone that is colorless. I found that I really do need a colorless stone - I don't like any warmth at all. Wahhh... why is it so hard to find a nice stone for me!
Thats right, I forgot about your colour needs.
Have you asked Erica and Grace? They really do get amazing cushions.
Was the colour the only thing you don't like about current one?

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Charmy, I''m sorry I know you want an answer, but it seems like you are settling...

I know we can''t really judge by photos, but TBH neither really jumped out at me - at least not like when I have seen pics of others'' chunky cushions on here and thought ''phwoaar''!

Ditto, and I don''t think you should settle either, you want to be 110% happy have you talked to other vendors as well I would give GOG a call and see what they can pull in for you.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
As you know I am not an expert but I know what I like. I also grabbed DH for an independent POV for you too!

I posted on your other thread before I saw this new one and felt that stone A (flour) looked bigger and brighter white than B. And I see here that you observed the brightness yourself.

About the novelty, only you know that. But novelty wears off on all diamonds* - that is why we are here. We get itchy and like different (shhh- bigger, better) stones. So yeah you may tire of the flour...but you may tire of the stone without that interest sooner. And what the hay; you will probably get itchy in x number of years anyhoo. It is the curse of PS'ers.

So the results of my independent survey of DH concluded: He voted stone A. (I might even have planted the seed that I NEED one too!) I mentioned about getting tired of the lavender hue and he thought not; he liked the interest and brighter D look.

I voted A on your survey. I would snap it up.

[*Runs and hides]

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Just based on the photos and the information you provided, I''m going to have to go with my instinct. You mentioned that you are torn between two stones, but you are not exactly thrilled with either one of them. And if this decision is causing a delay in your proposal, then a little practicality (sp?) might help.

1) Regarding the stones: I am drawn to Stone A because of its unique flourescence. I love the way it glows violet/blue in sunlight. That in itself would make it stand out. But this is just my preference. I LOVE flourescene, especially blue, but you may not. Size, clarity and color wise, they seem neck-to-neck. Stone B seems to have a little warmth, which I love. But the violet/blue flourescene in Stone A would fascinate me.

2) Regarding the timeline: You mention that you may have to wait a while if you pass over any of these stones. But how long can you go without a beautiful ring on your finger? If you are okay with waiting, then you have the opportunity to search and scour for your dream stone. But how long will you have to wait? And will you find it? My husband and I didn''t plan on upgrading for a few more years, but I became enamoured with colored diamonds this year. So I searched all over to see if I can find a colored diamond in the size, color and price that we can afford. Lo and behold, I found her! Sure we could have passed her up until we found something better, but I was more afraid that I would regret not snatching her up. In our case, I already had an e-ring. But it fell in the "good enough for now" category. And it served its purpose until I found my peachy gray. But how comfortable are you with that?

3) Compromise: Remember, you don''t need a ring to get engaged. In the same fashion that you don''t need to get engaged to get a ring. If you and your BF truly want to spend the rest of your lives with each other, then a ring shouldn''t cause a delay. If I was in your situation, I would choose Stone A because its violet/blue flourescence would fascinate me. That way, I''d have a stone that is "good enough for now" and there would be a ring to propose with. Then I''d be engaged with a beautiful rock on my hand. In the meantime, I''d be on a look-out for my "dream stone". In a few years, I''d be able to upgrade to the stone that truly "makes my heart sing unlike no other". Again, that is just me. That''s my way of having my cake and eat it too.
9.gif

In the end, the decision is yours. Only you and your BF can truly decide what is the best for the both of you.

Good luck!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
I apologize for butchering "fluorescence". Grrr....
14.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 11:40:56 PM
Author: lovewhitediamonds
I like B better... but I'm not a fan of fluorescence....

Honestly, if neither one 'makes your heart sing' then I would wait for 'the one' -- it will be worth it.
Remember you will be wearing and looking at this stone every day... you should LOVE it!

Good luck!
My thoughts exactly. You should look at your hand and LOVE what you see. You should not look at your hand and wish you had waited, or be disappointed in the stone. ((HUGS))

ETA: I'm with platinumrock on this one - you CAN get engaged without the ring, if the right one just hasn't come along yet!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly favor stone A of these two stones...I think the symmetry is better, I like the VVS1, the flourescence is beautiful in the rare occasion that you would see it, nice shape, etc.

But if you don''t love it, then it''s just not "the one" (see my tag line). However, with fancies, I think it is really hard to find perfection.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for all the advice. I am still at a lost because I do like these diamonds. It seems like Diamond A is a clear winner but Diamond B is a deal breaker for the ones who don''t like floursence. I haven''t figured out how I felt yet - I wish I could walk around with a test diamond while I decide!

Here is another photo under the loupe. I didn''t crop it.

Charmy-2DiamondsLoupe.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Here is a photo with my current stone. My stone isn''t that much bigger but just closer to the camera.

Charmy-3Diamonds.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 1:08:37 PM
Here is a photo with my current stone. My stone isn''t that much bigger but just closer to the camera.

Your current stone seems to have more presence than Stone A or B, IMO. It certainly dwarfs your two options in the photo. I can see why you are having trouble deciding. With a stone like that, anything smaller will have to perform extra tricks to impress you.

Now that I know what your current stone looks like compared to A and B, I actually like your current stone better. I don''t know why. It just seems to have more personality and presence. I know this doesn''t help. For what it''s worth, if you feel like you are settling for A or B, then you should wait. You already have a gorgeous ring that you can wear.

Your current stone has definitely set the bar high. Any stone that follows will have to knock your socks off. And a violet/blue fluorescence may not be enough, in my opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgive my poor memory, but why are you wanting to replace your current stone? Is this stone going in the same setting?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 1:38:48 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Forgive my poor memory, but why are you wanting to replace your current stone? Is this stone going in the same setting?
The setting is getting remade and will have a new stone. My current stone is a G and in certain lighting the yellow / warmth really bothered me. I am just really sensitive to color. I also much prefer the chunky faceted look which I didn't thinK i did before but after seeing a few - it was very clear. Part of me still loves my current diamond. It has a beautiful shape and something special about it - I would be inclined to keep it if it was whiter.

platinumrock - Thanks for your compliments. I do like my current diamond and it is special. There is something about it that isn't all me though. You nailed the problem - I am not sure if either of these two new options are enough to make me give up my current diamond. All three have equal pros and cons.

Another photo of my current diamond. It's a beauty in itself if I must say so myself.
MaytalHannahCushionERing.jpg

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I echo this....

Your stone certainly was NOT hit with the ugly stick*...why the change at all?

(*Translation =
30.gif
)

ETA: Oh, I see you want higher colour - is that right?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 1:48:01 PM
Author: Steel

ETA: Oh, I see you want higher colour - is that right?
Yes, that''s why I am looking at D and E stones and pretty tight on staying in that range. In a lot of lighting, the G is perfectly fine but some lighting just bothered me. The diamond performs wonderfully in poor lighting but in bright lights .. it pales. Does that even make sense? I can''t explain it.

pixley

Brilliant_Rock
These new pictures are great. Based on these photos, I would rule out stone B. I like the crisp, bright faceting on stone A. The faceting on stone B reads a bit muddled in each shot - but it may just be the photos
33.gif
. I also like the round culet on stone A instead of the sharp cornered, rectangular one on stone B.
I don''t know if I can help out with the shape question, because my preference always leans toward rectangular stones - mostly because I like the added vertical spread that you get relative to the shank, so naturally, I prefer stone A which is slightly less square... It''s hard for me to compare it to your current stone because they are completely different looks and only you know which one makes you happy. My only concern is the fluorescence. Maybe Maytal can give you some advice about setting a stone with VSB amidst all that beautiful melee
30.gif

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2009 1:45:07 PM

The setting is getting remade and will have a new stone. My current stone is a G and in certain lighting the yellow / warmth really bothered me. I am just really sensitive to color. I also much prefer the chunky faceted look which I didn''t thinK i did before but after seeing a few - it was very clear. Part of me still loves my current diamond. It has a beautiful shape and something special about it - I would be inclined to keep it if it was whiter.

platinumrock - Thanks for your compliments. I do like my current diamond and it is special. There is something about it that isn''t all me though. You nailed the problem - I am not sure if either of these two new options are enough to make me give up my current diamond. All three have equal pros and cons.

Another photo of my current diamond. It''s a beauty in itself if I must say so myself.
MaytalHannahCushionERing.jpg

You are very welcome. I would take your G any day! I''m the opposite. I LOVE warmer stones. The bottom line is, you are not happy with your current stone. But you haven''t found THE stone that would make you give up that G in a heartbeat. A million PS''rs can say it''s perfect, but YOU are not unhappy. Especially with its color. The warmth bothers you.

I completely understand. I was unhappy with my H RBC for a long time. It will always be special to me, it served its purpose...but in the end, I always fantasized about the diamond that made my heart skip a beat. After seeing all of the beautiful colored diamonds in this forum and online vendors, my H RBC just seemed factory made. Does that make sense? And who would have thought I would find THE ONE in a cleftless heart shape (say what?) and peachy gray (I thought peachy/pinkish stones were too girly). But I did, and I am happy at last.

Like diamondseeker''s wise signature says, "When in doubt, don''t." Don''t settle. Keep searching until you find the stone that your heart truly desires.
face23.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm the *one* person in the poll so far who said "Keep your current diamond and stop looking". Wow that is a nice ring. I agree with the issues you pointed out with the setting on a different topic but given that you've bought the diamond and had a several thousand dollar custom setting made for it, I just can't see any other reasonable solution than to have the jeweler tweak the setting to get it right, then enjoy it for what it is. Get a great 3-4 carat D for a milestone anniversary in the not too distant future; and make sure it's absolutely the one before having an elaborate setting made.

It's funny to me how many folks here talk about how white a G or lower cushion is - I agree with you, regardless of cushion style, starting about F to G the color starts to be visible face up in a cushion.

Also FWIW if you're like me your tastes will change by the time you get to that milestone anniversary. So even if you find perfect for now, it may end up being more sentimental than perfect some time down the road. Just a thought.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
elmo - I wore my ring out today for the whole day which is the second time I did that). My boyfriend would like me to keep the stone since he actually loves it and feels the setting is what makes it look a little less attractive. I think I am going to pass on these two stones and see what comes up in the next couple months. If nothing calls out to me, we will just go ahead and have this stone reset. My boyfriend wants us to head out west and discuss the setting in person to make sure it is right.

An anniversary ring is an option but it will not replace the e-ring. We would like to stick with the same e-ring for the rest of our lives. That is why it is so important that we get it right this time. Now, I won''t be surprised if my taste do change in a few years and I start another poll for setting options. He is adamant about a split shank and it is likely that we may not like it in the long run.

Ok time to get off my pedastal. I feel a little silly whining on a forum and coming off as a totally indecisive spoiled brat :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results