shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me get started...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eb50

Rough_Rock
I've been doing some research on and off for the past few months on diamonds. Clearly buying online is the way to go considering my budget and common sense. I went to Zales yesterday with my gf to get a better idea of what she is looking for in a diamond.

She is really looking for a princess cut around 1carat. It will go into a solitaire setting.

I am looking to spend between $4000-$5000 on the stone. From what I am reading, it sounds like I can probably get a color = F,G and clarity = SI1-VS2, and still get something that looks great to the naked eye and still not breaking the bank.

Am I dreaming about this price point with the qualities I want? Is my budget too high for a 1carat?

What sort of depth and table %s are acceptable? From my research, it seems to be depth should be 57-64 and table should be 53-60?

For a princess cut, I seem to understand that I am looking for gridle = thin to slightly thick.

I am looking for bang for buck here so quality at the 1carat or maybe a little larger (1-1.05) is my hope. Any rock suggestions and guidance would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

eb50

Rough_Rock
thanks for the quick reply! in regards to "eye clean" do I just call and ask them if its eye clean? what else should I ask if I call. Are the prices there with the PS discount? They are showing up as 5500 to 5700 respectively

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Your research looks to be giving you some strange numbers, at least for a princess. If you truly want a beautiful gem, then you will need to look at the standards set by the American Gem Society and stick with an AGS 0 through 2 cut grade. The average princess that you will see in the stores is probably around an AGS 5 - 6 cut grade.

There are many vendors on this forum who deal with AGS papered princess cuts that can help you better to see princess cuts that truly do deserve to be worn on the hand of your princess.

Wink

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2008 8:20:00 AM
Author: eb50
thanks for the quick reply! in regards to ''eye clean'' do I just call and ask them if its eye clean? what else should I ask if I call. Are the prices there with the PS discount? They are showing up as 5500 to 5700 respectively
Yes, these are in house diamonds, so just ask your rep at WF if the SI1 diamond is eyeclean and they will be able to tell you. I was trying to check out the price for you, but I couldn''t get these diamonds to come up on the PS search, so it may be best to check the price with WF. Also if you decide you want either of these diamonds, it could be best to put it on hold to prevent it being grabbed!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

eb50

Rough_Rock
when you call WF or a vendor like that, do you usually end up haggling or paying what is posted? Do I just ask for the PS lowest price and go with it? If I have to haggle, what % do I need to haggle?

My budget can go slightly higher if its "the diamond." Hopefully she will keep it forever so I can spend some more. Unfortunately I wont be able to handle a bank transfer.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 8:32:18 AM
when you call WF or a vendor like that, do you usually end up haggling or paying what is posted? Do I just ask for the PS lowest price and go with it? If I have to haggle, what % do I need to haggle?

My budget can go slightly higher if its 'the diamond.' Hopefully she will keep it forever so I can spend some more. Unfortunately I wont be able to handle a bank transfer.
I suppose you could try asking for a lower price, but these are already priced very reasonably. I don't think too many try to haggle.

And yes, just ask for the PS dicount. But with some, I think that's only the bankwire.

eb50

Rough_Rock
thanks! i am leaning towards the 2 diamonds that lorelei recommended from WF. what are the main differences between the two other than price? the depth and table seem a little high to my research, but you guys are certainly the experts. also, how is WFs prices on settings? My gf wants something like this. Would you recommend getting the ring portion locally or doing it as a package?

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Sleek-Lines--Solitaire_688.htm

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are both really great stones. The ASET''s are almost identical, but I''d give the nudge to the F, which also happens to face up a little bigger. And it''s the cheaper one, so that would get my vote!

And it''s much easier to get the setting w/vendor. Also that way WF will take responsibility for the stone while setting. And the setting you picked would show off a Princess very well and make it "pop". Great choice!

eb50

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 9:06:48 AM
Author: Ellen
They are both really great stones. The ASET''s are almost identical, but I''d give the nudge to the F, which also happens to face up a little bigger. And it''s the cheaper one, so that would get my vote!

And it''s much easier to get the setting w/vendor. Also that way WF will take responsibility for the stone while setting. And the setting you picked would show off a Princess very well and make it ''pop''. Great choice!

thank you very much. i should have posted on here a long time ago. i will call today and ask if the F is eye clean and also ask about the PS discount. Is there anything else I should be asking? Thanks so much. I was getting really stressed out about this.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 9:10:06 AM

thank you very much. i should have posted on here a long time ago. i will call today and ask if the F is eye clean and also ask about the PS discount. Is there anything else I should be asking? Thanks so much. I was getting really stressed out about this.
Aw, you''re welcome. Don''t be stressed now, you''re on the right path.
2.gif

WF is closed today, they''ll be open tomorrow. I can''t think of anything else to ask besides what you''ve mentioned, except to ask them to reserve it for you, if you aren''t ready to commit right then. That way no one else can buy it while you''re thinking about it, that happens.

You''ve picked a really great stone, it''s going to knock her socks off.
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2008 9:15:04 AM

Date: 3/16/2008 9:10:06 AM

Aw, you''re welcome. Don''t be stressed now, you''re on the right path.
2.gif

WF is closed today, they''ll be open tomorrow. I can''t think of anything else to ask besides what you''ve mentioned, except to ask them to reserve it for you, if you aren''t ready to commit right then. That way no one else can buy it while you''re thinking about it, that happens.

You''ve picked a really great stone, it''s going to knock her socks off.
9.gif
Popping back, but Ellen said everything I would have anyway!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2008 9:16:13 AM
Author: Lorelei

Popping back, but Ellen said everything I would have anyway!
face20.gif

eb50

Rough_Rock
i will give them a call tomorrow. do they want a deposit if you put it on hold? how long will they hold it? i am going to be really disappointed if its not eye clean. well, at least i know i can come back here and ask for more help! now to find a 0% credit card so i dont go broke in the next month.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
No charge to hold it. I''m not sure how long they will, just ask.

I hope it''s eyeclean too!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2008 9:29:30 AM
No charge to hold it. I''m not sure how long they will, just ask.

I hope it''s eyeclean too!
Ditto. Also I should think it will be a thumbs up for '' eyecleanliness" * crosses fingers*

eb50

Rough_Rock
if i end up getting the combo discussed above, what are my next steps? appraisal? how do i go about insurance? seems like alot of people go through chubb. will WF give me an appraisal?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/16/2008 1:33:54 PM
if i end up getting the combo discussed above, what are my next steps? appraisal? how do i go about insurance? seems like alot of people go through chubb. will WF give me an appraisal?
WF will send you an appraisal you can use for insurance purposes. You could get an independant appraisal if you wished, but some don't worry as WF have such an excellent rep, but it depends on your own comfort level. With insurance, Chubb and Jewelers Mutual seem to be popular.

www.jewelersmutual.com

eb50

Rough_Rock
should i assume that the appraisal value will be the same or more than what i end up paying? i just dont want to be shocked when i see it

eb50

Rough_Rock
i called this afternoon and put the diamond on hold. it is eye clean and they will hold it for 24hrs. they said if i was to get it with a setting, it would take roughly 7 business days to ship

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you found a setting that you like either through them or elsewhere?

eb50

Rough_Rock
and the wait begins...

they are giving it a 10day lead time for setting

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
She made a lovely setting choice! It''s going to be an awesome ring!!! Can''t wait to see the finished product!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results