shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on Cushion Setting

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I am kind of confused on your stone selection I thought she wanted it to be square? That stone is not square

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wolverine_man|1324992797|3089183 said:
Here is the antique cushion that I am going with:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS1-Good-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1441288.asp

I'm trying to do white gold, while keeping the setting $900 or less from the James Allen selections. Interested in solitaire or pave options that would nicely compliment the above diamond. Size would be a 6.75, if that helps.

Thanks for all of your opinions and help

Did you get an aset image of this stone?

EDIT - FarmerGal made some nice recommendations.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wolverine_man|1324999834|3089252 said:
No, I did not. I have maxed out my ASETs from James Allen.

I'm sure they would be willing to do another for a fee if you want?

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
I do have 60 days to return it. I can try and ask for another ASET, but I have gotten 3 already, cancelled a fourth request, and have had a total of 8 different diamonds on hold over the last week or so. I realize that the cut is marked as good, and that may give pause for concern, but I really need to make a decision here very soon. I will see what I can come up with.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wolverine_man|1325000763|3089260 said:
I do have 60 days to return it. I can try and ask for another ASET, but I have gotten 3 already, cancelled a fourth request, and have had a total of 8 different diamonds on hold over the last week or so. I realize that the cut is marked as good, and that may give pause for concern, but I really need to make a decision here very soon. I will see what I can come up with.

Not concerned with the "good" cut grade from JA - what did your rep have to say about the stone?
ETA: what was wrong with this one? http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/H-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Cushion-Diamond-1376324.asp

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
That stone doesn't look like an antique cushion to me.
It does have an interesting facet pattern, though.

My one concern with the setting you chose is that it has a channel set look to it because of the metal that comes up on either side of the stones. I don't know if your GF requested a pave setting, but if she did, this particular setting just doesn't have that pave look IMO. I know the stones are pave set, according to the JA website, but the way they're set into the band gives the ring a channel set look. I love pave but really dislike channel settings, so that's why I point it out, just in case your GF is the same way.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1325010135|3089371 said:
My one concern with the setting you chose is that it has a channel set look to it because of the metal that comes up on either side of the stones. I don't know if your GF requested a pave setting, but if she did, this particular setting just doesn't have that pave look IMO. I know the stones are pave set, according to the JA website, but the way they're set into the band gives the ring a channel set look. I love pave but really dislike channel settings, so that's why I point it out, just in case your GF is the same way.

I think a lot of that is simply the weird way JA setting images look. My ering is brightcut pave like that, and it looks way, way different than channel-set things. I dislike channel-set as well, and the brightcut pave doesn't look like it in real life.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with Haven that the stone you posted doesn't look like an antique/antique cut to me and if I'm being honest, it doesn't really appeal to me. I realize that you may have maxed out the free ASET images from JA, but for such an important purchase, I'd fork over the extra cash to keep looking. Farmergal posted a couple of stones that look pretty good.

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
So the consensus seems to be that the stone I picked from JA is not very desirable. Seemed like it would be a good one, having a large top up dimension, smaller depth and though smaller than table, being within 10 percent of each other. I've just looked at so many, had so many holds, that I really would like to move on something.

How about these:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8992/

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8996/

or Farmer Girls Rec:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8991/

and EGR options

http://www.engagementringsdirect.co...cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-15233.html

http://www.engagementringsdirect.co...cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-15234.html

vs the one I already posted above from JA.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If she wants square you've eliminated all but these two:

http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8991/
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/1.01-carat-g-si1-a-cut-beyond-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-15233.html

The ERD is bigger and antique style, but you'll want to call and ask about the exthn girdle.
The GOG is also pretty, slightly smaller, but safer girdle and a little bit cheaper.

It sounds like you're getting tired of the search - just call ERD and GOG and ask about these two specifically, and pick whichever sounds like a better fit after you've chatted with them. Both will be sparklers.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
I like that kind of halo hybrid myself. You guys think I would be making a good decision with the farmer girl stone from GOG? would it look good in the halo, without looking too small, since I originally wanted bigger than 1 carat? I'm all for saving money. Only bad part is I would have to cancel my order with JA after the worked so much with me over the last week, but I just didn't feel 100 percent comfortable on pulling the trigger.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I like the stone you posted with the first setting (the one Yssie liked). I also like that first stone from ERD, as long as they give the extra thin girdle the thumbs up.

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
I think I am leaning heavily towards the GOG option with the Halo to provide some extra width and sparkle. You are correct in that I am very tired of the search. GOG is not open but I left a message for them to call me. Mark has been helpful and will contact me tomorrow. Will chat with both.

So for a modern faceted cushion, the GOG option is pretty good, correct?

For a Vintage, the ERD option 1, so long as girdle is good, would be a good option? the ERD settings are a little pricier which would relegate me to a solitaire again, so perhaps I'm better off with the GOG and Halo.

She did try on a halo with pave down the side, and liked it. Heck, it was only a .32 carat cushion!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wolverine_man|1325029256|3089631 said:
I think I am leaning heavily towards the GOG option with the Halo to provide some extra width and sparkle. You are correct in that I am very tired of the search. GOG is not open but I left a message for them to call me. Mark has been helpful and will contact me tomorrow. Will chat with both.

So for a modern faceted cushion, the GOG option is pretty good, correct?

For a Vintage, the ERD option 1, so long as girdle is good, would be a good option? the ERD settings are a little pricier which would relegate me to a solitaire again, so perhaps I'm better off with the GOG and Halo.

She did try on a halo with pave down the side, and liked it. Heck, it was only a .32 carat cushion!

I would personally not feel comfortable with an exthin (knife-edge) girdle - I know that sometimes it's unavoidable w/ antiques, but unless you feel strongly about the vintage style I'd recommend the safer GOG. It looks like a really pretty option and I think it'll be lovely in a halo :))

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go with the GOG stone and halo too :))

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, late to the party! I think you ended up with the right stone choices. They appear on images more appealing than the initial choice.

Of the two, despite the 1.2ct being larger, I actually prefer the 1ct stone. And not because of the J colour... just from the facet pattern and the images on GOG.

Between the Halo choices, I agree that http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7818W44JJ is the nicer setting (bonus that it is cheaper)

But I prefer the cathedral pave ring you pointed out http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER8031W44JJ to the Halo.

But then, I'm a guy, so I'll defer to the tastes of the ladies :) If it were up to me option 1 would be the vintage cathedral, option 2 would be the halo.

Do you know what style your lovely lady will prefer? Congrats by the way!

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
Tristan that was my top choice on the pave setting. I do know she saw a halo in a store and liked it. So I should perhaps go the route of the halo above. I guess it's kind of a nice mix of halo without too much bling. I just don't want to detract much if at all from what I believe is an excellent sparkly stone. I hope the halo won't do that. I sometimes think a ring can get so busy that it looks like a dizzying array of glitz, and I am unable to separate out the center stone. Of course, I don't mInd at all the fact that the halo will give a slight appearance of larger face up presentation.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushions face up small, so I do highly recommend the halo. That stone is gorgeous, but it faces up a little smaller than my .80 round stone. I am so pleased to see you move on to that GOG cushion because it is WAY nicer than the JA stone you were considering. I like this one much better because it is a cushion shape and not so squarish:

http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7819W44JJ

Usually engraving of the date etc. goes in the wedding band, not in the engagement ring. But of course GOG can do it.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, the thing is that she saw a halo on a .32 ring, a 1 ct, even if it faces up .8 would have already the same finger coverage that the haloed .32 would have. So if it was a matter of size impression, then you've already got it covered with the cathedral with pave.

I do know that in a lot of places bigger is better. That isn't necessarily my style, or my SO's, but of course, we are likely the minority.

Ultimately, what needs to happen is that she needs to love the style. So if she is drawn to halos, then halo it should be.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tristan, there wouldn't be a lot of places in the US where a 6mm diamond with a very small halo like these would be considered over the top. But I agree there are places in the world that it would be.

Wolverine_Man, I just want to say again that I really, really like the cushion shaped halo better because it will complement the shape of your stone better than the other one with pointed edges. It would be very much worth an extra $100+ to me.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll add another opinion to the mix.

I prefer the 1ct G SI1 mainly because its very square and have a beautiful facet pattern. The other is nice but to mean this one is more appealing. And I would put it in the http://www.gabrielengaged.com/style/ER7819W44JJ as I think this will do better justice to the natural shape of the cushion than the other setting options.

Do let us know what you decide.

wolverine_man

Rough_Rock
Thank you. I did not even realize there was much of a difference in those halo options. I shall go with the 7819W4JJ and GOG stone 8991. I am waiting to hear confirmation that the the stone is 100 percent eye clean, and some additional details. Unfortunately, their store is closed until New Year's Eve. I got a reply back and would like confirmation that the stone can be held until I can speak with someone in person.

As a separate issue, are Halo settings higher maintenance or due to possibility of loosing some of the tiny diamonds? I suspect like everything else, it depends upon how hard you are on your jewelry.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really, all fine jewelry should be treated with care. Certainly when there are small diamonds there is the possibility of losing one if you hit the ring on something, but if the same diamond without a halo got hit on something, it could chip, which would be far worse! So as long as she takes the ring off to do housework, exercising, yard work, to sleep, etc., the ring should hold up well!

I am glad you decided on the cushion halo! You left one 4 out of that last stock # so be sure you give the correct # to GOG! My understanding is that the internet dept. is working limited hours this week, so you should be able to reach them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results