shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on an Engagement Ring?!

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Help! I've been hanging out over in the Antique/Vintage forum, and they have been SO incredible (see link if you want to see the history). https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-me-decide-between-2-rings.215745/

Now I am asking for some guidance from y'all! Short story? I am trying to decide between (1) a platinum filigree piece and (2) a yellow gold solitaire.

Long story? Well, since you asked :)

Quite frankly, I'm a settings girl. I love a beautiful diamond, but I am much pickier about settings. I prefer yellow gold for solitaires, and all other jewelry. But for e-ring diamonds with vintage filigree detail, platinum has a magical air about it. Some days I think I want platinum, other days I think that yellow gold is more classically me. I worry about regretting the metal I choose either way. How do you know what you want when you've never had a ring before?

I need your help as I make a decision! Ideally I would spend $1000-$2000, but I am willing to spend up to $3500. I have the cash, but I live frugally, am saving for a down payment, and don't want to get carried away.

RING #1

I've found a contender for ring #1. It is:
- .98ct Old Mine Cut with .2ct in accent diamonds
- Platinum
- I Color
- SI2 Clarity
- Not certified
- Consignment listing at $4200; dropped the price to $3400 when I asked them to come down

ring_214.jpg

img_20150702_145521564.jpg

Additional videos and photos of the ring on my hand can be found here: https://goo.gl/photos/HahNe4LQmMg2BHsu8

I LOVE the setting on Ring #1 much. I'm a size 4.75, so it's hard to find something that is delicate, bling-y and doesn't overwhelm my hand. I am a little concerned about spending at the higher range of my budget. And I definitely want to make sure I am getting a good price, just in case I decide I no longer want the ring and consign it.

Some vintage forum gals suggested that I ask the jeweler for Ring #1 to send the stone to get GIA certified. Others said not to worry about that if I like the ring. I'm not obsessed with having the perfect diamond, but I don't want to overpay. Several folks said the ring was a total steal and I could sell it for twice that if I consigned it on a site like Jewels by Grace; one thought I could get a better deal if I was smart about it and watched ebay.

QUESTION: What do you think about Ring #1? And the price! Would you negotiate even further? What do you think is a good range to pay for it? If you were me, would you get it GIA certified or skip the paperwork?

RING #2:

I haven't found a contender for a Yellow Gold Ring #2 in my price range yet, but here are a few examples of things I like (all of which feel overpriced and/or out of my budget). I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the "Yale" ring and was going to call and see if they would negotiate down, but it sold the day before I planned to call!

1.02ct EGL certified Transitional Brilliant Cut. J, SI1.
capture_32.jpg

.58 EGL certified Old Mine Brilliant Cut diamond. H, VS1.
capture_33.jpg

.64 EGL certified Old European Cut. F, SI1.
capture_34.jpg

Unknown specs; photo of acquaintance's ring I like.
capture_35.jpg

I love vintage settings but would consider buying a stone and having it set. I am open to old diamonds and new. I prefer round, old mine cut, transitional, old european cut, or old mine brilliant. Ideally between .75cts and .99cts, but would consider anything over .5 if I love the setting. I would love bigger than 1ct, but they are probably out of budget. I also like bigger emerald cuts... like my friend's ring pictured above. No idea what size hers is or if it's feasible to think I could find something like that in budget.

Is a Ring #2 out there? And in budget? Where do I hunt for such a piece? I've looked all over the internet it seems, and locally in Northern CA (Sonoma County and the Bay Area). Local stuff I liked was well over budget. Oy! Should I go for Ring #1 that I love so much? If so, what are my next steps?

I so appreciate any advice you have for me!!!

Bring it on :D

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there!

I totally relate to your quandary of which metal to get. I love both platinum and yellow gold too. This is your e-ring so there's something so permanent in the choice. It's not just another piece of jewelry you can switch out! Although if you hang out on PS long enough you'll soon see that many of us change out our settings many times over. :bigsmile:

I don't have any answers for you on which metal, but looking at your inspiration pieces I wondered if you have looked at the e-rings at Lang's in San Francisco? They have a beautiful assortment of antique engagement and wedding rings in a wide range of prices. Check out their website. Or maybe you've already looked!

http://www.langantiques.com/products/type/engagement-rings

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi @JDDN: I looked at Lang's awhile back but there was some new stuff since I last looked, so thanks for reminding me of the store. I do like a lot of their stuff.

Right now what I'm "struggling" with is that Ring #1 seems to be a pretty darn great price for what it is. I haven't found anything I like nearly as much within my budget, even if it's at the upper end. The only thing that has come close was the Yale ring (pictured above) from Trumpet & Horn... and they were asking $1000 more. (No clue if Trumpet & Horn negotiates on prices).

I love Ring #1, and if it sold because I'm dragging my feet I would be SUPER bummed out. I'd be even more bummed out if over time I can't find something I like as much as Ring #1... I don't want it to be The One That Got Away. I don't think I'll find anything in platinum and within budget that I like as much as this ring. But it's hard to pull the trigger, because I'm worried that I'll find something in yellow gold that I like better in a month or three.

Is $3400 a good price for Ring #1? If it is, it makes it feel a *little* less permanent if I decide I want change it up later. If I really don't like it over time - and I don't think that will be the case - at least I could recoup a fair amount if I consign it and am patient.

Essentially, I'm weighing Ring #1 against an unknown other option. I need help determining if the type of yellow gold piece I'm looking for exists in my budget, because I'm not certain that it does... So far I haven't found one. I don't want to let Ring #1 go waiting for something that's not likely to happen.

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
Also, if I do decide to move forward with Ring #1, do you think I should ask the jeweler to get a GIA grading report? Even if the stone isn't as reported, the ring still feels like a good deal to me so I'm having trouble justifying the trouble and expense... any thoughts on this? I don't want to make a rookie mistake, but I'm also not looking for the perfect stone.

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think to truly know if $3400 is a good price, you really need to know what you're getting. If it's not certified (and by a reputable lab, i.e. GIA or AGS), then you have no idea what you're buying. Some labs would grade the stone an I and SI2, but it's totally possible GIA would grade it a K, I2. Do you see what I'm saying? So by that end, $3400 isn't looking like such a great price.

Would the jeweler/vendor allow you to take it to an independent appraiser? Also, if you are really serious about it and the money is a lot to you, then I would have it certified so you know you are getting or not getting what you are paying for.

As far as your dream yellow gold setting. What about going custom? Custom doesn't have to be expensive as many will attest to that. Seems like you'll always be longing for that perfect yellow gold setting anyway ;-) . Are you looking for an antique stone, i.e. old cut?

Check out David Klass for affordable work. He does all different kinds of creations, and does vintage very beautifully.

https://www.facebook.com/david.klass.jewelry

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple other thoughts. If you consign a piece with someone like Jewels by Grace, she will likely get it certified and then price it accordingly. If it were to come back a lower color/clarity than you thought (and paid for) then you won't "recoup" as much as you hoped for.

If you simply love it and don't care what it is and you can live with the price (no matter the stats of the stone/ring), then sure, it probably doesn't make much sense to get it certified unless you simply want to know.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glitter, have you seen the rings made by Van Craeynest and Singlestone? They tend to be highly priced, but they do the kind of design work you describe in rich yellow gold.

As for the ones you list above ... the first ring is stunning, and I can see why it's caught your heart! But I have to agree with the other posters that you need to get it certified before you can properly evaluate the value. Is the seller amenable to that?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have to have an antique setting or can it be new with an antique look?

Another posted this setting in yellow gold that I love. ...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/172046867/yellow-chrysoberyl-engagement-ring-in?ref=shop_home_active_18

There is also this one from shuller that a lot of people like (including me) that you could do in yellow gold. This setting
is fairly inexpensive (my jeweler quoted me $300 which seems like a great price).

http://www.stuller.com/products/build/122004/?groupId=113775#/metal-quality

You can see a white gold version in this thread...
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/recommendations-for-thin-band-settings-mountings.217136/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/recommendations-for-thin-band-settings-mountings.217136/[/URL]

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

blingmeup

Rough_Rock
so I don't know if you'll like these exact rings: http://www.doyledoyle.com/shop/rings/engagement-rings/103470r & http://www.doyledoyle.com/shop/rings/engagement-rings/103431r but Doyle and Doyle has a lovely collection of vintage rings, and I feel like I tried one on a month or so ago that looks a lot like your ring #2 that sold pretty quickly. I feel like if you wrote to them with a description of what you're looking for, they could let you know if they have anything close to what you're looking for in their store, since I've noticed most their rings never make it on to their website!

glitterglitter

Rough_Rock
Premium
I am a really big fan of this ring from Doyle and Doyle! :love: Thank you for the suggestion.

It is a *bit* more than I am hoping to spend. Do you know if it is possible to negotiate with vendors? And if so, any suggestions for how to do that?

Keep the suggestions coming!

Wish list
- Yellow gold
- Platinum or white gold prongs
- open to vintage setting, new setting, a vintage ring with stone or new ring with stone

blingmeup

Rough_Rock

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that first ring and it seems like it might be reasonable price in spite of the unknowns, but I'm concerned because all of your other examples are so different - I wonder if you'd regret going the very vintage route later on. Also my personal experience is that old mine cuts rarely have the kind of sparkle that Old European and modern cut diamonds have - so while you might be getting a lot of diamond for the money, you might not be getting a lot of sparkle.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results