shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose the best

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

harley77

Rough_Rock
After reading as much as I could, I decided on purchasing a ACA 1 Carat G VS2 from WF. They have about 7 to choose from and Im trying to narrow it down. The first one rates a 1.6 on the HCA and the second one a 1.3. I know both will be fantastic but I want the best. Any opinions?

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-586202.htm#
A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.020
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.8
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 34.8
Crown %: 15.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: 0.9%-1.4%FACETED
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.55-6.57X3.99
Price: $6911

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-714358.htm#
A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.018
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 60.8
Table: 57
Crown Angle: 34.6
Crown %: 15
Pavilion Angle: 40.8
Pavilion %: 43
Girdle: 0.9%-1.8%FACETED
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 6.50-6.54X3.96
Price: $7210

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
It may just be the lighting/whatever in the photograph, but I like the look of the second one better. On paper they both sound great!!!
tongue.gif

fanimey

Rough_Rock
I agree with Rowan that the 2nd diamond is looked better for me, both of them are great but I would choose one then I will choose the 2nd one. If you check the chart of American Ideal Cut, then you will be more sure why the 2nd is better.

If you try the Halloway chart and DIY chart, you will see that the 2nd has better quality. For Halloway chart the 1st=1.6 with Ex/vg/vg/vg for light return/fire/scitilation/spread; and the 2nd=1.3 (better score) with Exc/Exc/Exc/VG. For DIY chart, the 1st has 1B grade, and the 2nd has 1A grade. If you want the reason why, see closer the crown angle of the 1st diamond, you will see that it's a little bit out of range to be graded as 1A.

Good luck with your proposal!!

fani

Magnum

Shiny_Rock
fani,
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with the two points you made about the DIY chart and the HCA.

If you actually plug the numbers into the DIY chart, you'll see that both stones actually get a grade of 1A. It's true that the crown angle of the first stone is slightly outside of the 1A range, but if you read the grading criteria, it's o.k. for one of the parameters to be slightly outside the range and still get the higher grade.

As far as the HCA, there is too much margin of error to say that a score of 1.3 is better than 1.5. For all intensive purposes they are the same score (within the margin of error of the hca), so it's not really wise to use the difference in the HCA score as a factor in picking one of these stones over the other. There are too many factors the HCA doesn't take into consideration thatg can affect the beauty of the stone.

As far as the idealscope pictures, assuming they were taken under the same conditions and with the same lighting (which isn't necessariloy true, even though they were both done at whiteflash), I actually think the first one is a better IS image. It's got a verry little bit of leakage around the table, but it has very dark red and black saturation all throughout the stone. The second one has a litle white leakage, which isn't necessarily bad (since it can provide contrast), but does have a lot of light pink instead of dark red, which would give me a little concern. It could just be because of a stronger light source, but it's hard to say. One other thing to mention is that the first stone is the new version of ACA, whereas the second looks to be the older version. That doesn't mean one version is better than the other. it's more a matter of personal preference and just something to point out. Their stone cutter, Brian, acutally says he prefers the old version. If it were me, since they are both from whiteflash, I'd ask Brian to look at the two stones side by side and give you his impression. He has an expert eye and will give you an honest opinion.

Best of luck in your search.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Since both stones are from the same vendor, you have the benefit of being able to let the vendor "be your eyes" and talk you through the differences. Otherwise, since the stones are so close, you might consider having both sent either to you or to a local appraiser where you can compare side by side yourself and pick the one that looks best to your eyes. You'd have to pay the return shipping on the one you didn't pick, or on both if you want WF to set it for you, but that isn't significant in the grand scheme of things.
I'd talk to WF about your options, and see if you can talk to Brian directly, now that he is back from vacation.

harley77

Rough_Rock
I also thought the IS image of the first looked better but wasn't sure if it was just the lighting. How can you tell if the stone is the newer version?

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Why not just get both of them sent to an appraiser where you can look at he and decide for yourself? You don't have to pay before hand. If you have the credit card limit you could have them both sent to you. It will cost something like $40 or $50 to send one back. Small price to pay to be sure.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Harley, the first one appears to me to be one the "new generation" ACAs. You can tell because it has what I believe is called a tweaked girdle. This all but eliminates light leakage around the edge of the girdle. How this changes the appearance in person, I really don't know. I think that some of the experts say that a little leakage around the girdle is not bad because it can add to the contrast of the diamond (which I think helps with the scintillation). New generation, old generation...they are both awesome. I think at this point it comes down to personal preference. Call WF and talk to Brian. Tell him what you want to see in your diamond, and he can tell you which one better fits the bill for you. Hope this helps. (BTW, I am not an expert. Just a diamond lover trying to help others. If I have mis-remembered any info, please correct me.)

Shay

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These two seem identical by all means and for all purposes... only the first was lucky to get better lighting for it's IS. This may not have much to do with the diamond itself, but with no better reason to tell the stones apart, this one would do
2.gif

harley77

Rough_Rock
I'd like to thank everybody for their opinions and useful information. It has been a big help.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results