shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose Bead, channel, or prong setting??? WG or platinum??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pishi76

Rough_Rock
I would appreciate all of your opinions and advice about this. My ring is to be 2.5mm wide with a 3ct princess cut center stone and 2.5 pts on the top of the band, 2 pointers on the inner sides and 1-1.5 on the prongs.

I like the sidestones to stand out and I don''t want to see too much metal as I like the clean look. I would like to know how should I have the sidestones set, bead, channel, prong, shared prongs, 3sided pave etc... and why?? And which one of these settings if any will make the sidestones show more or look bigger?

Also, I am not sure if I should go with platinum or WG and if WG does is matter if it is 14/18K? And my jeweler is telling me to go with G/SI1 sidestones but I am wondering if we spend the extra and get F VS or even E VVS would it make a noticeable difference in such small size of stones ( as otherwise I wouldn''t want to spend more as the tcw for the sidestones is almost 3cts so I don''t want to spend so much more if it will not be noticeable) Oh I am not sure about the specs of the centerstone I know it is E-F color I think VS or VVS.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/desperate-need-help-with-my-ring-specs-please.53210/

knuman

Rough_Rock
Personally I would prefer a bead setting or a channel setting - because I like the look the best and they don''t take attention away from the main stone.

I would also go for Platinum if I can afford it.

As to the quality of the sidestones, it kind of depends on your main center stone - you wouldn''t want there to be too much of a difference. I think 1-2 colour grades and clarity grades lower than the center stone is acceptable if you can''t tell the difference. Cut of the side stones is important too!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like bead set best with your setting design but do make sure to check with what your jewelers policy is regarding a lost stone. I also prefer platinum but there are pros and cons with both metals.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I really wouldn''t go for Si clarity for sidestones, partic when there will be that many. This is just my opinion, but clarity grading is all about how difficult or easy it is for a human grader to spot the flaws. With really tiny melee diamonds it''s got to be just natrually harder to spot anything. I would worry that it diamonds that size the imperfections would impede the light bouncing about in the diamond and make it a little less sparkly. But I''m no expert. I don''t think you need to up the color grade that much because of the reflections of all that metal should swamp any tint.

I''m a huge fan of channel setting! It''s so clean and shows off the lines of the ring more. But it is a more modern look, not that they didn''t channel set in the 30''s of course.
5.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/13/2006 10:32:59 AM
Author: IndieJones
I really wouldn''t go for Si clarity for sidestones, partic when there will be that many. This is just my opinion, but clarity grading is all about how difficult or easy it is for a human grader to spot the flaws. With really tiny melee diamonds it''s got to be just natrually harder to spot anything. I would worry that it diamonds that size the imperfections would impede the light bouncing about in the diamond and make it a little less sparkly. But I''m no expert. I don''t think you need to up the color grade that much because of the reflections of all that metal should swamp any tint.

I''m a huge fan of channel setting! It''s so clean and shows off the lines of the ring more. But it is a more modern look, not that they didn''t channel set in the 30''s of course.
5.gif
don''t be so sure about not being able to spot inclusions in melee!! sometimes because the stones are so small almost the whole diamond IS an inclusion!!!

pishi76

Rough_Rock
ok, so I guess I should pay the difference to get VS stones at least then and ask to make sure they are well cut but since smaller stones don''t come with certificates how do I know I am getting good cut diamonds, will the appraisal of the final product state anything about the sidestones?

Also, I was told by a couple of people that in thin bands and three sided pave, platinum has a tendency to bend, is that true?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2006 2:21:14 AM
Author: pishi76
ok, so I guess I should pay the difference to get VS stones at least then and ask to make sure they are well cut but since smaller stones don''t come with certificates how do I know I am getting good cut diamonds, will the appraisal of the final product state anything about the sidestones?

Also, I was told by a couple of people that in thin bands and three sided pave, platinum has a tendency to bend, is that true?
in thin bands and 3 sided pave - you''re looking at an increased risk factor any way you look at it. Gold breaks and plat bends - that''s the rule of thumb i''m using... but I''m not convinced they do it at equal pressure points... I think plat will bend before gold will break. Of course with gold you''ll eventually need to get every single one of those little diamonds retipped since it wears away... as long as the beauty outweighs the maintenance and risk - it really is a tossup which you choose.

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Please don''t get 14K or 18K white gold. If you want a white metal, get palladium or platinum. Palladium should be right around the cost of 14K or 18K white gold. If you''re jeweler doesn''t sell palladium rings or can''t make one from scratch then find a new jeweler :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2006 2:25:39 PM
Author: Adylon
Please don''t get 14K or 18K white gold. If you want a white metal, get palladium or platinum. Palladium should be right around the cost of 14K or 18K white gold. If you''re jeweler doesn''t sell palladium rings or can''t make one from scratch then find a new jeweler :)
I could have sworn I''ve read that palladium is even softer than platinum....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results