shape
carat
color
clarity

Help getting a ring made

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maulin80

Rough_Rock
I would like to get the ring made in the picture that I have attached.
It is an Emerald cut diamond in a fancy pave-yellow ribbon design.
I would like to spend around $6,000 for everything.

I am new at buying diamonds and this whole process of getting jewelery made so any help would be greatly appreciated. What kind of emerald ring can I get to fit my budget for this type of a ring? (Carat, Size, etc.)

What are the ideal dimensions for a ring like this as well.

Where would you recommend I buy this diamond online?

emaraldpavering.jpg

singer

Brilliant_Rock
Emeralds need to be high clarity (VVS, VS) because they are not brilliant and it is almost impossible for an inclusion to "hide." Therefore, a 1 carat diamond will be quite a bit more money than a 1 carat round or princess. I am guessing that a setting like that would cost anywhere from $1000 to $2000, which leaves about $4000 to $5000. I am guessing (just roughly) that you could get that setting and a .75 (3/4 carat) stone for $6000. This is pretty basic information, so it is not exactly the most accurate, but hopefully it gives you some kind of idea
2.gif

maulin80

Rough_Rock
Thanks for some of the information

Does a 1 ct emerald ring have as much wow to it? Would I be better of buying a simple setting and ring to go with a bigger diamond?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/25/2006 8:28:32 PM
Author: maulin80
Thanks for some of the information

Does a 1 ct emerald ring have as much wow to it? Would I be better of buying a simple setting and ring to go with a bigger diamond?
I think a nicely cut 1ct EC has alot of wow factor but it depends on what kind of ''wow'' you are talking about. If as in brillance and fire wise, a EC surely can''t hold a candle to a round ideal or even the square ideals. Don''t get me wrong, I love ECs as well and think they have their own flair, as in elegance and beauty all on its own. Have you gone ring shopping in person to be able to compare these cuts with your own eyes?

The setting looks expensive...are those fancy yellow diamonds? If so, do you know the price on it?

HTH
35.gif

maulin80

Rough_Rock
Yes, by wow factor I am talking about something that is elegant and beautiful and something that doesn''t look as common. By girlfriend, hopefully soon to be fiance, likes unique things and I believe that this ring looks different. As far as the setting goes I am not sure if they are fancy yellow diamonds and have not priced it out. I have seen a few diamonds, but not that many. What are the ideal dimensions for an EC in the type of setting that I like in the picture?

luthergirl

Rough_Rock
Though the design below is not exactly what you want, it reminded me of the look you are going for and could be an option for the pave--instead of canary diamonds it is set with micropave spessartites. This setting is Alex Soldier from pearlman''s website (I LOVE his stuff!!!) the website is: www.pearlmansjewelers.com. The setting is $2700

gold017855.jpg

luthergirl

Rough_Rock
Here is another one from Pearlman''s as well, another Alex Solider with the same spessartite pave. again, $2700

as798654.jpg

luthergirl

Rough_Rock
I also meant to say I think these would look really great with a "white" center diamond, in addition to what is shown!

maulin80

Rough_Rock
Thanks those do look beautiful... Geez, there are soooo many designs to choose from! I am an indecisive person and this just makes things worse... Ahh

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let me give you a little advice. I am hoping you have already done this, but this is just in case. :) Have you had her show you some unique settings that she really likes? Because I may like unique and you may like unique, but beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder! One person may adore the setting you have chosen and another might SO love something else much more. I would never take the chance on a fancy and unusual setting like that without making sure she likes it. Better to get the diamond in a $150 plain setting and let her help choose her permanent setting if you want it to be a complete surprise!

I am telling you this because while I think that is an interesting and pretty setting, there would be several on my list of preferences above it. But maybe she has shown you some like this...I hope so!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2006 10:13:22 AM
Author: maulin80
Thanks those do look beautiful... Geez, there are soooo many designs to choose from! I am an indecisive person and this just makes things worse... Ahh

No problem ... not on this forum, at least
5.gif

Re, 6k... it would probably be half/half between the diamond and setting - which is ok, of course. There are ni 'ideal numbers' set in stone for emerald cuts. Meaning, no one has yet put up standards for what makes a great cut as AGS has for round and princess cut diamonds. There are rumors step cuts are next - but I don't know about that.

The diamond in the Cartier setting seems to be more than 1 ct, but not that much more. It should probably be noted that size varies quite a bit with cut for these stones: so much so that I would not be surprised in the very least to find two stones, one 1 ct one 1.5 or more of precisely the same size (=diameter) face up. And neither ought to have a 'bad cut' for that much. IMO, the less deep (65% or so - not 75% as it is common) tend to look better. You may want to consider the guidelines for emerald cut diamonds set up by AGA (see 'Fancy Shapes' under 'Knowledge' on top of this page).

There are a couple of detailed stories of Pricescopers 'hunting' for the perfect emerald cut: you may want to follow the one of 'Kaleigh' and 'Windowshopper'
34.gif

About the design... what can I say: I am a big fan of yellow gold and colored pave (diamonds or not), and prefer bezel settings - that ring is a champ of precisely the right species and surely makes my heart skip a beat
5.gif
I'm not the 'end user' though.

Re. diamond: considering the yellow gold setting works great with near-colorless diamonds, and that the ring in the picture looks so nice with a relatively long emerald (=more rectangular than square) I'd be looking for some H-I/VS2, 1-1.2 cts or so, with a rectangular shape - about 1.5:1 length/width.

Just an idea.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results