shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding a diamond/building an engagement ring

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would ask them if they will make an exception for you.

I would tell them that you know that they only allow 3 ASETs as a rule.

But the pricescope members have picked one pear that they really think will be a knock out, but you really aren't sure about it because the shape is more elongated than you think you like. But if the performance really is THAT much better,
you want to know.

So you are wondering if they can make an exception and do you a favor and allow you 4 ASETs, so that you can include the pear the pricescopers picked along with your own choices.

That way you don't lose anything. And you get to see if this one really is a much better performer.

Just cut and paste this into the 'chat' window and change the "you" to "me" and so forth to make the tenses work.

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1408594099|3736666 said:
I would ask them if they will make an exception for you.

I would tell them that you know that they only allow 3 ASETs as a rule.

But the pricescope members have picked one pear that they really think will be a knock out, but you really aren't sure about it because the shape is more elongated than you think you like. But if the performance really is THAT much better,
you want to know.

So you are wondering if they can make an exception and do you a favor and allow you 4 ASETs, so that you can include the pear the pricescopers picked along with your own choices.

That way you don't lose anything. And you get to see if this one really is a much better performer.

Just cut and paste this into the 'chat' window and change the "you" to "me" and so forth to make the tenses work.

Hey Gypsy, thanks for the suggestion. If I do this, I still need to come up with a diamond for the third slot that is open because 250842 was not "eye clean". I've gotten several suggestions from Garrett, but none seem to be getting a ton of positive feedback. My favorite so far is the most recent:

http://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.21-carat-d-color-vs2-clarity-sku-240810

But it seems like people find it unimpressive, especially in comparison to the more ovular one. I'm definitely open to other options though!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah, that's not impressive at all.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
kypo1411|1408593825|3736663 said:
I'm sorry about all this and feel like I'm just getting on everyone's nerves.

No need to apologize, and no, you're not getting on anybody's nerves as far as I can tell. Certainly not mine.

Everybody here wants to help you, and I think we just want to make sure that you make your decisions for the right reasons. And, yes, if you (or your gf) don't like the shape or look of a particular diamond, that's a valid reason. Like I said, to a certain extent, you have to go with your gut.

But also, if you haven't looked at pear diamonds in person yet, you should know that once you do see the diamonds IRL, your overall impression and the things you notice will be different compared to what you notice in the hugely magnified images on the JA website. So size differences, shape differences, inclusions, color, etc. that seem to be deal-breakers based on the web images, may not in fact seem like such a big deal when you view the diamonds in person. For this reason, my personal recommendation (based on recently having gone through the first-time diamond shopping experience) would be to try to be slightly flexible about ruling out diamonds that have potential to be good performers.

Furthermore, again based on my own experience, I would recommend that after getting ASETs and the gemologist's opinion, you actually purchase the top two diamonds (if you have sufficient cash reserves or credit limit), so that you can compare them in person (and then return one of them -- JA will give you a 100% refund, including shipping).

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
drk14|1408642257|3736928 said:
kypo1411|1408593825|3736663 said:
I'm sorry about all this and feel like I'm just getting on everyone's nerves.

No need to apologize, and no, you're not getting on anybody's nerves as far as I can tell. Certainly not mine.

Everybody here wants to help you, and I think we just want to make sure that you make your decisions for the right reasons. And, yes, if you (or your gf) don't like the shape or look of a particular diamond, that's a valid reason. Like I said, to a certain extent, you have to go with your gut.

But also, if you haven't looked at pear diamonds in person yet, you should know that once you do see the diamonds IRL, your overall impression and the things you notice will be different compared to what you notice in the hugely magnified images on the JA website. So size differences, shape differences, inclusions, color, etc. that seem to be deal-breakers based on the web images, may not in fact seem like such a big deal when you view the diamonds in person. For this reason, my personal recommendation (based on recently having gone through the first-time diamond shopping experience) would be to try to be slightly flexible about ruling out diamonds that have potential to be good performers.

Furthermore, again based on my own experience, I would recommend that after getting ASETs and the gemologist's opinion, you actually purchase the top two diamonds (if you have sufficient cash reserves or credit limit), so that you can compare them in person (and then return one of them -- JA will give you a 100% refund, including shipping).

Thanks for the reassurance. I definitely appreciate everyone's help. I do agree that I don't want to be too particular on some things, which is why I'm torn on keeping:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.31-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-250842

despite Garrett saying it isn't fully eye clean. The alternative is:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.08-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-350426

Which was originally on my list of backups, and was also recently re-suggested by Gypsy. I might try Gypsy's plan of trying to get 4 through to ASET, but rather than the "poval", keep the non eye clean in.

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1408596725|3736693 said:

Thanks Gypsy, it looks like the second is no longer available. I like the first better anyway. I'm torn on whether or not to keep the 1.3, despite it not being fully eye-clean since it looks like it could be nice aside from that inclusion and you all seemed to think it would look good.

I may try getting 4 through to ASET as you suggested, keeping the non eye clean and adding 350426 from above.

kypo1411

Rough_Rock

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Great, that's awesome that they let you evaluate 4! Look forward to seeing the ASETs. Also, they will have a gemologist render an opinion, you may have seen some of these gemologist's reviews in some of the other JA threads. You should know that instead of having Garrett relay the gemologist's opinion by email, you have the option of setting up a telephone appointment with the gemologist to speak with them directly. If you're a good note-taker (and are able to accurately transcribe the gemologist's comments for review by your PS consultants/cheerleding squad =) ), then I would recommend this option, as it gives you the opportunity to ask him or her very specific questions.

For example, you may wish to ask very specific questions about the visibility of the inclusions in the 1.31ct stone: Are they distracting? Can they be seen at arms-length / at half-armslength? Are they very noticable when the stone is tilted? etc. The James Allen default definition of eye-clean is when inclusions are invisible to the naked eye when the diamond is face-up from a distance of 10 inches. If you haven't alread read this, this article should give you some good background to help you ask questions about eye-cleanliness:
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/what_eye_clean_diamond

Also, depending on what we see in the ASETs, we may suggest that you ask the gemologist to try to block the pavillion (with their hand) and re-evaluate brightness that way (because they normally evaluate the diamonds by placing them in a clear plastic tray, which allows light from all directions, including the pavilion; when your stone is set in a ring however, some or all of the pavillion light will be blocked by the basket and/or prongs).

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
While waiting on a diamond to come through, I thought I'd start putting some thought into a setting. As I mentioned before, I think I'm a fan of this setting:

http://www.rubylane.com/item/635099-R-1018-111124/Pear-Cut-Solitaire-Diamond-Ring-14k

However, I would make some modifications to it. One thing that I would prefer is to have the band come together as a single piece rather than having the split appearance that this has. What I really like about this is how the "prongs" are a little bit different than the traditional "rectangular" prongs (for lack of a better way to describe them). Anyway, since I doubt I'll find exactly what I'm looking for anywhere, I'm assuming it's going to be a custom job. What's the best way to go about starting this process? Is it better to deal with at a BM place vs. online? I'm in a city with many jewelers and several that specialize in custom designs so that could be an option. Obviously, I'd still have the same problem I saw with the diamonds in that there is a huge markup, but with the setting being relatively cheaper it could be easier to swallow. However, if there is a good way to go about this online and anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks!

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
Hey guys! I heard back from JA today and below is the email/images that I received. It looks like I have 24 hours before they take them off hold, so I'd love to get your guys opinions!

Thank you for your patience while waiting for the ASET images of diamonds 145415, 350426, 250842, and 325173. I've attached an interpretation guide for ASET images to the bottom of this email, so please read that over. Other customers have found it very helpful and I hope you agree!

You'll be happy to know that the gemologist found diamond 145415 to have excellent light performance! Its bowtie is minimal and its fire, brilliance, and scintillation balances beautifully throughout the diamond. Additionally, its inclusions are tiny and mostly confined to the girdle. They'll never be visible to the unaided eye (it's eye clean)! It has an icy white "E" and its fluorescence has no negative impact on its appearance.

145415:
145415aset_7.jpg

Diamond 350426 has a great balance of fire, brilliance, and scintillation also and ranks as your second brightest option. Its bowtie is minimal, it's eye clean, and it has an icy white "E" color as well.

350426:
350426aset.jpg

Diamond 250842 is bright and lively too, with comparable light performance to diamond 350426. It has an icy white "D" color and a small bowtie, but they ranked it as your third best option because a sharp eye may pick up on its crystal.

250842:
250842aset.jpg

Diamond 325173 has a medium sized bowtie with a little more contrast than your other diamonds, but it still has great light performance overall. It's eye clean and icy white, but it's medium blue fluorescence gives it slightly cloudy appearance.

325173:
325173aset.jpg

I recommend moving forward with diamond 145415. It's sizzles from end to end and will be very eye catching in any setting. It's the gemologist's favorite diamond and I'm confident you'll be very pleased with it when you see it in person.

Please take a moment to review this information and let me know if you have any additional questions. I have extended your hold on these diamonds for an additional 24 hours while you consider your options. If I don't hear back from you, I'll reach out to you within 24 hours to see if you need any assistance in finalizing a purchase. After that time we will release them back to our inventory.

To finalize a purchase, simply call our Customer Service department at 877-826-9866. We are staffed to assist you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any additional questions. I hope to hear from you soon.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the number 1 choice in your budget?

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409252212|3740888 said:

It's definitely high. I'm trying to get an idea for what the setting would cost, but I'm not sure what's reasonable for what I mentioned above. Also, did you mention something previously about a potential PriceScope discount? Anyway, my goal was to keep it around 10k, but had a hard upper limit of 12k. I guess what I'm trying to say is I suppose I would go for it if it's really that much better, especially because the number 2 rated is my least favorite of the 4 (shape wise).

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kypo1411|1409253093|3740890 said:

It's definitely high. I'm trying to get an idea for what the setting would cost, but I'm not sure what's reasonable for what I mentioned above. Also, did you mention something previously about a potential PriceScope discount? Anyway, my goal was to keep it around 10k, but had a hard upper limit of 12k. I guess what I'm trying to say is I suppose I would go for it if it's really that much better, especially because the number 2 rated is my least favorite of the 4 (shape wise).
Hmm. Well as for the discount, they don't call it a Pricescope discount but ask for the "preferred members" discount and that should help a little. I've had a few reps still not offer it so I'd be persistent.

As for the budget. Do you think you could compromise and get a more basic setting, great pear, and then go a little MIT wild with the wedding band when the time comes?

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
Niel|1409253336|3740892 said:
kypo1411|1409253093|3740890 said:

Hmm. Well as for the discount, they don't call it a Pricescope discount but ask for the "preferred members" discount and that should help a little. I've had a few reps still not offer it so I'd be persistent.

As for the budget. Do you think you could compromise and get a more basic setting, great pear, and then go a little MIT wild with the wedding band when the time comes?

Regarding the setting, I was planning on keeping it pretty simple. As I mentioned a few posts back, http://www.rubylane.com/item/635099-R-1018-111124/Pear-Cut-Solitaire-Diamond-Ring-14k
is a setting that I'm gathering some inspiration from. Just a pretty basic solitaire, but I like how the prongs are a bit untraditional. However, I'd prefer the ring part to merge into a fully single band rather than the pseudo-split in that one. Since I haven't found anything very similar to what I'm looking for, I figure it would probably be custom. I'm not really sure how much that would cost or if it's better to do it online or BM.

How should I approach the preferred members discount? Should I mention that I heard about it here, or should I simply ask for it.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know about the discount. I didn't think to ask when I made my JA purchase, because that was soon after the "No PS Discount" policy went into effect and I just assumed that was absolute. In any case, I don't think the discount is more than a few hundred dollars even if you're successful, so it probably wouldn't sway your decision making process.

I think all ASETs look pretty good, except for the last one, that is very leaky in the wings. I'm actually still partial to that 1.31ct D -- look at all that bright bright green! :mrgreen:

Do you have enough credit to order two diamonds and send one back? I did that, and a 100% refund was credited to my card about a week after I returned the diamond, so I didn't even have to pay any minimum balance on that purchase. And the return shipping was paid for by JA, too.

For the setting, I think your pick reminds me a bit of some of the settings from Vatche, so you might look at their website. Almost all of their pictures use round or princess stones, but I'm pretty sure they will modify the settings to fit other shapes. Here's their "Royal Crown" setting with an oval:

136_0.jpg

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
drk14|1409257166|3740930 said:
Don't know about the discount. I didn't think to ask when I made my JA purchase, because that was soon after the "No PS Discount" policy went into effect and I just assumed that was absolute. In any case, I don't think the discount is more than a few hundred dollars even if you're successful, so it probably wouldn't sway your decision making process.

I think all ASETs look pretty good, except for the last one, that is very leaky in the wings. I'm actually still partial to that 1.31ct D -- look at all that bright bright green! :mrgreen:

Do you have enough credit to order two diamonds and send one back? I did that, and a 100% refund was credited to my card about a week after I returned the diamond, so I didn't even have to pay any minimum balance on that purchase. And the return shipping was paid for by JA, too.

For the setting, I think your pick reminds me a bit of some of the settings from Vatche, so you might look at their website. Almost all of their pictures use round or princess stones, but I'm pretty sure they will modify the settings to fit other shapes. Here's their "Royal Crown" setting with an oval:

In theory I could probably purchase 2. However, the largest single card credit limit I have is $6,400 so I'd have to pay a pretty significant amount of cash.
Also, I'm not sure how their refund policy works. While I have the cash available to pay up front, my plan was to put $6400 on that card and pay the difference up front. The card has 0% interest until next August, which would let me pay it down over time. I realize using a large portion of your credit limit is bad (I do have other cards but only about 10k in total limit) and also know the dangers of "putting off payment", but this still probably makes the most sense for me. With that being said, I don't want them to end up refunding the card portion first and keeping the cash.

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
kypo1411|1409259002|3740946 said:
drk14|1409257166|3740930 said:

In theory I could probably purchase 2. However, the largest single card credit limit I have is $6,400 so I'd have to pay a pretty significant amount of cash.
Also, I'm not sure how their refund policy works. While I have the cash available to pay up front, my plan was to put $6400 on that card and pay the difference up front. The card has 0% interest until next August, which would let me pay it down over time. I realize using a large portion of your credit limit is bad (I do have other cards but only about 10k in total limit) and also know the dangers of "putting off payment", but this still probably makes the most sense for me. With that being said, I don't want them to end up refunding the card portion first and keeping the cash.

I also just saw that JA offers 6 month interest free financing (with an absurd interest rate attached if full payment isn't made). I wonder if they would let me ship two diamonds on their financing, with my plan being to return one and obviously pay off the balance in full within the required time frame.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
kypo1411|1409259002|3740946 said:
With that being said, I don't want them to end up refunding the card portion first and keeping the cash.

Well, this, and your other question about financing, would be an excellent topic of conversation with the JA customer service reps. Call them up and ask away!

I know that in my situation, I paid part of the purchase (of two diamonds) by credit card, and the balance by credit card. The way it was explained to me was that I could choose whether my refund was given in the form of credit to my card, or as a check (to return the cash that was wired). I was informed that a credit card refund would only take a few days to process after they receive and inspect the returned diamond, but that a refund by check would possibly take several weeks. Now, I don't think you can have any of your cash payment credited to the card, or vice versa (so hypothetically, if you purchase two diamonds for $5k each, and pay $6k by credit card and $4k by cash, if you return one diamond, your options would be to get any amount up to $4k back as a check, and the remainder as credit to your card). In my case, I preferred to have the refund made to my credit card.

Also, if you don't know already, there's like a 1.5% discount for any part of the payment that you make in cash (bank wire).

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking about trying to purchase the first and third options for in person comparison. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the ASETs?

FYI I also got this in response to some questions I asked:

Let me start off by addressing your questions regarding the ASET images. As you know, ASET images can be a good tool to get a feel for a diamond's light performance that you are unable to see in person. While they are a good tool, they don't tell the whole story of a diamond's light performance. They are stagnate images that only show the diamond from that particular angle. Once the diamond is slightly tilted, the various facets that show as red, green, and blue take turns for directly light, indirect light, and contrast. This is why our 360HD videos of the diamonds tell us much more than an ASET image will. Having done this for about four years, I can also say that many people have tunnel for the color red, when we are really looking for a good mix of red and green and a little blue. For the equipment we use, the images you received are pretty standard.

Since ASET images are only helpful when you can't see the diamonds in person, the gemologist who inspects them doesn't even see the ASET images. They hold no value when you see the diamonds for yourself. The gemologist strictly reports on what their trained, critical eye sees. If we were simplify the feedback and only focus on light performance, diamond 145415 is the rock star and is very bright and fiery, diamonds 350426 and 250842 are strong seconds, and diamond 325173 ranks third, but still has light performance that is above average. While I can see why you have some of the questions you do, I encourage you to put more weight on the gemologist's feedback.

Thanks!

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
Hey guys, just wanted to give this one last bump since I never really got an opinion on the ASETS aside from drk's. I'm planning on purchasing http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.50-carat-e-color-si1-clarity-sku-145415 and http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/1.31-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-250842 this afternoon before my hold runs out at 4:00. This will allow me to compare the two in person and see what I like better. If there are any other opinions on the ASETS or any advice for looking at them in person, please let me know.

Thanks!

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
Here are some pics of the loose stones, which arrived today:

hand_compare1.jpg

hand_compare2.jpg

In the clamp ring sent by JA:

1.3, D, SI1
1_3_ring.jpg

1.5, E, SI1
1_5_ring_0.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
which do you prefer?

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
the 1.5 looks much bigger to me, and it looks great, so that'd be my choice ;-)

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
kypo1411|1409874212|3745057 said:
Here are some pics of the loose stones, which arrived today:

Nice, I'm glad you purchased two. At this point, though, the ball is really in your court. The specs and and the ASETs of both of these looked fine, and the rest of the decision must be based on what you see with your own eyes, as well as on your personal preferences with regards to the various factors involved.

Admire the two diamonds under various lighting conditions. Observe them in motion, and from different angles and viewing distances.

Do you notice any color in the E? If you do, is it bothersome to you? Do you notice any of the inclusions, especially in the D? If you do, is it bothersome to you? Are you finding that you can't really tell much of a difference between the two, other than that one is bigger? =)

As nice as your photos are, 2D static images never really capture the true beauty of a moving, three-dimensional diamond. Thus, we wouldn't be able to offer really solid advice based on the photos. Howver, we might be able to help you weigh some of the pros and cons, if you tell us your impressions and thoughts.

Candygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I absolutely love the 1.5! I just love the shape and it just appeals to me so much more :love:

kypo1411

Rough_Rock
I'm leaning towards the 1.5 myself. They both look great and are really sparkly. There are some inclusions on both that can be seen but on the 1.5 the inclusion is along the edge and has the potential to be hidden by the setting. Also, the 1.3 is actually deeper than the 1.5, and so I think the 1.5 might help with my gf's request that the ring does not "stick-up". I met with a couple of jewelers last week and am awaiting their potential designs now.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results