shape
carat
color
clarity

Help! Diamond Size for Halo on 2.5 Cushion (pic included)

morrikl

Rough_Rock
We are having trouble deciding on the size stones to use on our Halo setting. We have a 2.5ct cushion cut center stone (dimensions are 8.1mm x 7.43mm)... 2 or 3 points maybe ??? We want the minimum amount of metal showing on the entire setting but don't want the smaller stones to overpower the center stone. This is our third go around with our jeweler on making the setting. The first one was not even close to being correct. The second one the jeweler went off topic and put 4 or 5 pointers around the halo and 10 pointers on the band. We didn't even see that one as we were totally disgusted with the idea of 10 pointers on the band and them not being identical on the Halo and band.
Attached is a photo of our center stone.
We don't want the halo to be too wide/big
We want the minimum amount of metal showing anywhere.
It will be a shared prong setting
We don't want that flowery look when people use big stones on the halo
We don't want it to look like a cocktail ring

The big question we have is what size points should we use to achieve our desired look and still have that bling look?

_2548.jpg

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Help! Diamond Size for Halo on 2.5 Cushion (pic included

Your jeweler messed up the ring big-time twice? Are you committed to this jeweler? If not, cut ties and find someone else to do the work. If he has the ability to do the ring correctly, he would have done so the first time around. I personally would not have any faith in this jeweler if he hasn't come close either time.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

orbaya|1356209093|3338177 said:
Your jeweler messed up the ring big-time twice? Are you committed to this jeweler? If not, cut ties and find someone else to do the work. If he has the ability to do the ring correctly, he would have done so the first time around. I personally would not have any faith in this jeweler if he hasn't come close either time.

+1

morrikl

Rough_Rock

I appreciate the responses.

Can anyone provide some assistance on choosing the right points to go with our center stone? We are committed to this jeweler.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

probably 0.5-1 pointers

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

morrikl|1356210741|3338189 said:
I appreciate the responses.

Can anyone provide some assistance on choosing the right points to go with our center stone? We are committed to this jeweler.

I hope that "third time's a charm" and that it works out. I would suggest that you go in armed with TON's of pictures of the types of halo's that you want - all angles. I'm sure you may have already done this, but this time, I'd highly recommend that you specify exactly what you want.

If I can find it... Gypsy has a written in the past a VERY specific contract that really nails it down what is expected of the jeweller. It is incredible how specific it is but its there to help avoid issues just like what you are having. Hmmm... not the most brilliant of minds, but I'll try and hunt it down! If not, hopefully she shows up on her own!!

I'm sorry that you are committed to him (you sound very loyal!) but I would have to agree with Orbaya, if he could have done it right the first time - even the second - he would have. I really do hope it works out for you. I had a local jeweller make a custom ring for me and it did NOT go well, even with adjustments so I'm sending you PS *DUST* that your situation is more successful! :halo:

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

Well, since you are committed, you should DEFINITELY provide detailed photographs of what you are looking for in a setting. Have you done this already? It sounds like you might be going for the Harry Winston halo? I'm not great with halo designs, but I was visualizing 1-1.5 pointers for the halo and down the shank.

Here's a great thread from Charmypoo on this style ring. If you scroll down a bit, there are many links to settings. Perhaps there is something there that will help you.

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...rience-in-making-a-harry-winston-halo.183473/

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Thanks orbaya for linking :)

There are couple things to consider when minimizing metal. The size of the melee does matter in that the dimensions of your diamond will impact how many melee they can fit. However, what is more important is actually the skill of the bench. Very few can accomplish setting pave with minimal metal - I think Leon, Steven and Victor are the best at this and I haven't seen anyone else as good. A skilled bench will also be able to space the melee out in a balanced and equal fashion.

Do you have photos of the failed jobs? We can evaluate if your jeweler is even skilled in accomplishing this look.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that you shouldn't use this jeweler. Since he's screwed it up twice, it's likely he simply can't make this design and even if it looks right it may have structural integrity problems (especially loose melee) far more often than a properly made one. If you have already paid, I'd try to get your money back on the basis that he's not the right person to execute your design. If you've put down a non refundable deposit, I'd walk away from it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results