shape
carat
color
clarity

help! broken diamond??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bewildered

Rough_Rock
hi everyone,

what does a diamond look like when viewed from the side? i was looking at my diamond ring earlier and i thought i saw a crack through it! it's a vvs2! i seem to recall that in the past, when i looked at it from between the prongs on the side, there was a smooth image without any break in between... now there seems to be a horizontal break in the image! and this break extends all round the ring! am i being paranoid or is there really an internal crack?? :confused:

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Bewildered. What you're seeing is a reflection of the internal girdle edge being reflected all around by the "mirrors" of the pavilion.

This is just the diamond doing it's job. You just didn't notice it first time around.

Congrats on the new diamond.

Rich, GG
Sarasota Gemological Laboratory

bewildered

Rough_Rock
Hi Rich,

so glad to hear your reply! cos the "break" in the image is about 1/2 - 1/3 the total depth counting up from the culet and i was ultra worried cos there's a teeny little feather in the diamond, right about there... was afraid that it'd worsened into a crack! really thought my diamond had broken! i know i'm paranoid but with these additional facts, u still think the diamond's fine? :)) thanks so much for your help!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.goodoldgold.com/clarity_tips.htm

If you look up this link towards the bottom of the page there is a photo of a reflection of a girdle in the pavillion. If you look at Diamondtalk forum this question has been asked a few times by people thinking their diamond has cracked.

bewildered

Rough_Rock
hi pyramid,

way cool!! sure got me worried for a while there... thanks so much for your tip and the link! must have missed it while i was doing research before the diamond purchase! thanks again! and you too, rich! :bigsmile:

golfer

Shiny_Rock
I had the same fear when I had my girlfriend's e-ring set, here's the thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/girdle-reflection.3285/

FalleN

Rough_Rock
Thank God I found this thread...

My woman didn''t know what to think...it''s amazing that it passed our scrutiny for so long, only to show up and worry her.....

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
We''ve all got cracks in our diamonds
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results