shape
carat
color
clarity

Help a UK buyer choose a 2 ct +?

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Hello there,

I am a UK lurker and (very) small-time contributor. FIrstly thanks to all of you for the glorious pictures and amazing education. I have learned a lot but have a long way to go.

We are looking to buy me a solitaire of between 2 and 3 carats and I have identified two current front runners, one in the UK that I have seen in person and the other from a popular Pricescope internet vendor ( I am happy to name if ethical) The US stone has an Aset, Idealscope and Sarin and I have attached the Idealscope to this post. The numbers are as follows:
Round
J
SI1 (eye-clean)
Ideal
AGS
Depth % 61.7
Table % 57.6
Crown Angle 35.0
Star 55.0
Pavilion Angle 40.8
Crown % 14.8
Lower Girdle % 76.0
Measurements 9.01x9.05x5.57
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Slightly Thick Faceted

So far, the vendor has been excellent to deal with. The upside is that they are strongly endorsed by Pricescope members and I like one of their settings, - a fairly simple pave solitaire. The downside is buying unseen and the significant tax and duty I will have to pay on shipment. The wire price for the above stone alone is $29,427, tax and duty on the finished ring will be about $7,000 :o , however this still looks okayish compared to UK prices. The total cost will be around $40,000.

The UK stone is considerably smaller and there are no Aset or Idealscope images available, however I have seen it and it is beautiful and the numbers score and HCA of 1.2 with excellent on all criteria but "spread" for which it gets a "very good". Here are the numbers:

2.14ct
‘G’ Rare White.
VS2
Cut: Excellent
Polish: Excellent.
Symmetry: Excellent.
Measurements: 8.27-8.29mm x 5.13mm.
Girdle: Med 35% faceted.
Total depth: 62.0%
Table Width: 55%
Crown height: 16% (35.0 deg) (a)
Pavillion depth: 43% (40.7deg) (b)
Length half crown: 50%
Length half pavilion: 80%
Sum of a & b: 75.7deg

All of the above details have been taken from the Diamond Cert, which is HRD Antwerp Diamond Lab.

This is on sale for £25,000 as a finished ring that is a lovely platinum solitaire but without pave. I do love pave bands although my partner prefers the plain band. £25,000 equates to $40,349.

The upside for this option is the fact that I have seen it and being local, the supplier can provide after-care. The G is a safer bet than an unseen J perhaps?

US members should be aware that unfortunately and surprisingly, there isn't the same availability of beautifully cut stones in the UK and prices are higher than in the US, hence the US vendor being competitive despite the added tax and duty.

Please, please advise on the Aset and numbers I have posted on the J stone and on the other. All feedback is welcome as this is a huge purchase for us and a once in a lifetime one too. I promise to keep you posted with the journey if you are interested!
Kind regards,
Zizzy x

zizzy_2.jpg

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am no expert but I think HRD are one of the more respected 'other' labs, but I would wait for a better person than I to confirm that!

Do you have the certificate and/or number available?

Is the US stone AGS000?

FWIW I checked out UK B&M stores for rings with stones of the same size as the CBI diamond I bought - I have got anywhere between 1 and 3 colour grades, and 2 to 3 clarity grades better than those in the shop windows of a same size, band material, style and price, so in my experience going 'DIY' and buying stone and setting separately worked out much cheaper for the end result than it would have been buying over here (I am also in the UK) even taking into account the 20% VAT on the stone. (I didn't have to pay the 2.5% Import Tax on set jewellery as the stone was loose.)

I imagine you would therefore be able to source a much larger stone with equivalent colour/clarity from the US for a set budget, so I think you will need to decide whether you want size or colour as a priority, assuming you stick to choosing from two stones detailed!

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Hi OoohShiny,

The US stone is AGS triple 0. Hopefully the certificate is now attached. I don't have the HRD certificate number for the G stone although I did see it at the jewellers.

I am leaning towards the US J because of the size and also the cut. It is a branded very high spec cut. Interesting point about the additional duty on importing set jewellery as opposed to loose stones. I might consider just bringing in the loose stone. I'll look at the figures. So many decisions!

Thank you for replying!

Attachments

• 104073192003-pgrh.pdf
    394.9 KB · Views: 34

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The numbers on the HRD stone are quite good.

Also HRD is one of the respected other labs. If you've seen it in person and liked it, I think it's a great choice.

charks

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

Buy the US stone.

And buy the setting from US as well.

Unless you get a custom setting the choice of settings available here is very limited.

When I wanted to reset my stone into a halo setting I couldn't find a stock setting I liked and was quoted prices of £3200 from UK jewellers for a custom setting.

In the end I took a chance and bought a Ritani setting from Pearlmans for £1200 - that price includes duties - and couldn't be happier.

You know it makes sense!!!

Johannes89

Rough_Rock
i would also favour the US stone, firstly because its a HUGE size difference and 2nd because its AGS triple 0 where u basicly cant go wrong with.
Then again u need to ask urself if ure fine with a J colour ( which id be ^^)
because it will probably look a little tinted in this big stone compared to the G.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the UK, and if I were in the market for another significant diamond purchase, I would not hesitate to buy online via one of the trusted PS vendors, such as White Flash, Gold Old Gold, and James Allen.

The price difference alone even after adding courier handling charges and import duties is worth risk of buying online and importing from US.

I bought my EC in Amsterdam via Diamond House (highly recommended) after researching on PS for suitable vendor and it was HRD certified. I enjoyed the buying process, as I was given 3 stones to choose from, and selected the one I liked the most based on the shape (I prefer a longer shape) and budget. However, that was for an EC, not a MRB.

Good luck with your purchase!

DK :))

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your generous replies and help. I am still processing it all and haven't yet made a decision. The Bloke is away for a second night tonight so I haven't had time to chat with him about it. I can't count the times I've scoured the threads here on Js and warmer coloured stones. I think I quite like warmer hues but I haven't seen enough diamonds to be sure. I know that fire and scintillation are by far the most exciting thing to me and I'm confident the Whiteflash stone will have that in abundance.
If I go silent it will only be indecision and I promise I'll get back to you as soon as we're on our way!

Kind regards,

Zizzy

canvasback

Shiny_Rock
I like warmer stones in the August Vintage Rounds from Good Old Gold. But I'm going to be quiet now so I don't overload you with ideas. :shhh:

LondonGal

Rough_Rock
Hi. I'm in the UK, too.

I see much better deals (on everything, not just diamonds) in the US. If you're happy to buy from there, can you look around a little bit longer and with more vendors? I looked at a lot of diamonds in my search and was going to buy online from the US until I saw my "perfect" stone in a window in a small independent jewellers.

All the stones I saw in chain store jewellers were overpriced and frankly, very poor quality.

I was initially set on getting a certified diamond, preferably H&A with an excellent grading but wanted to see certified diamonds in the flesh first, so I went to a high-end local store and asked them to get some in to look at (just so I could familiarise myself with what the difference between good cuts and chain store quality was). I'm glad I did as I've found some stunners that are uncertified along the way, too.

I finally came across my stone in a setting I didn't really like, but something about it just kept calling my name. I kept looking online and in stores further afield, but kept going back to that one small store. Eventually, every other stone I looked at just seemed further away from what I was looking for, but every time I looked at mine while it was still in the store, I fell in love with it a little bit more - and not just the stone, but the whole ring!

The jeweller was very patient, pointed out the reasons why it's a G, SI1 under a loupe, let me take it outside, then into his poorly lit store-room. Allowed me to look at it every time I passed (a lot!). Most importantly, he explained the cut - OEC - which is totally different to the stock I'd been looking at online and in other stores!

I eventually went back and bought the ring for half the price at what I'd been looking to pay. I'm notoriously finicky and will change my mind like the wind, but I've had it (her!) over a year now and love it a little bit more (even the setting) every time I look at it.

I guess my advice is to make your journey as long as this post! Take your time and if you buy online make sure you can return it easily. It might arrive and when you open it you may be underwhelmed (as I was when I opened the box that held the stone one jeweller had promised was the "best cut, most perfect" stone he'd seen in my price range). You'll know your "one" when you see it. Just don't jump in, especially with a stone that may be hard to upgrade later (e.g. there was a lovely second-hand 2ct stone in a local jewellers yesterday, sitting proudly amongst the new, significantly cloudier rings. The only thing is it was a much lower colour. I overheard the couple next to me discussing what was "wrong" with it, eventually deciding to look elsewhere).

Good luck and have fun looking.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Well my goodness! This thread has a twist in its tail. Ring buying was waiting and I had 99.9% decided on the Whiteflash option.
This weekend we were in London celebrating some good business news. We went to Westminster Abbey on Friday and as we stood under a Guiness chandelier under the Abbey Lantern where the Royal Wedding took place, my partner said he had something to give me, I saw a small box and although it wasn't blue, I immedsiately thought it was a Tiffany charm he'd said he would buy me that weekend, anyway as you will have guessed, his next words were "Will you marry me?"
We have been together for 11 years and have both been married before so it was a big surprise. Such a big surprise I apparently forgot to say yes until he told me I hadn't answered. He had decided that he wanted to surprise me with a ring as it was a proposal rather than a joint purchase as I was anticipating.
The ring he bought me is beautiful, a De Beers solitaire of just over 2 carats. I would have chosen a pave band but I am totally converted to the plain band he bought - the stone really sings. It is a GIA excellent and a J. I was looking at Js but still a little nervous about a tinted appearance but I can't believe how white it looks. When I manage to take some decent photos I will post lots on the Show Me Your Js thread. Even against a colourless CZ it looks white. I can only see a difference in daylight when it is literally right next to the CZ.
I am going to post some dreadful photos that don't do it justice and make my hands look deformed. I hope I manage to take some better photos soon!

_24266.jpg

_24267.jpg

_24265.jpg

_24268.jpg

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
It looks cloudy on these iPad photos but it isn't at all! It's a VS1 by the way.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!! I hope you post many more pictures!

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I must give a shout out for Sheerah at Whiteflash. We won't now be buying from there but she has been so good to deal with: informative, helpful and attentive but never pushy. I am very impressed by their operation and while I'll now never get to see that 2.81 J (smallest twinge of regret) I bet it is stunning, particularly now I've seen in the flesh just how white my own new J looks.

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
Aw thanks! I've got some better photos now and your kind comments are all the encouragement I need. One shot shows it next to a CZ pave ring I bought to compare the colour. Only in certain lighting can I discern a slight difference between them in colour terms.

_25736.jpg

_25737.jpg

_25738.jpg

_25739.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a wonderful surprise! Your ring is absolutely stunning!!! Congratulations on your engagement.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its gorgeous! Congratulations!!! You can pair the plain band with a sparkly eternity :bigsmile: !

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
really beautiful and such a lovely surprise! You must have small hands because your 2 ct looks so huge on you. I wish mine looked as huge on me, lol. It does look incredibly white and lively compared to cz.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a little late to the party but anyways, congrats again! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results