shape
carat
color
clarity

Hearts and Arrows

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since there is no definition of "ideal cut" there is no answe to this Q either
1.gif

If the Q is: are all H&A top notch brilliant, the answer would be... yeah. Buut there is still variation between them and some are better than others. The H&A pattern depends on great symetry, but does allow some variation of proportions which means more or less light return and fire.

The IdealScope tutorial somehow explain this by showing "arrows" patterns both in the top category and below (LINK to 'medium brilliance with high symmetry' and One more). However, the variation does not seem to be tremendous. There were no examples yet of H&A being terrible in terms of light return.

I cannot know how scarce are those H&A with top ptics, but they are surely a pain to locate unless from a specialized seller
9.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Jeff:

The answer is "no", not all H&A are Ideal cuts, if you are thinking of the AGS-defined Ideal cut proportion ranges. Also, not all AGS-defined Ideal cuts are H&A.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
"Since there is no definition of "ideal cut" there is no answer to this Q either"

Not true. Ideal cut is an American Gem Society term and the AGS sets the standards for ideal cut. The standards are in the AGS Diamond Grading Standards Manual which I have right here in front of me.

Over the years the industry has basterdized the terms ideal, AGS-0, triple zero and others to water down the AGS standards but the standards still stand.

To answer the first question. No, not all diamonds
"selling as H&A" are ideal cut. Also, not all diamonds selling as H&A are true H&A. Unfortunately the H&A industry does not recognize a standard for what constitutes a uniform Hearts and Arrows diamond so we are left with the real deal and the want-to-be H&A. We have set a standard for our ACA H&A but that does not mean that others have chosen to attain that standard.

robbe

Shiny_Rock
--------------------

The standards are in the AGS Diamond Grading Standards Manual which I have right here in front of me.
--------------------

i'm affraid you can trow the ags manual to the garbage because ags is working on a totally new & different way of describing "ideal". robbe

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-cut-conference.15098/}

Major announcements

AGS
showed all their cards regarding the development of their new round and fancy cut grading system that will combine new parametric and direct assessment techniques.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
LOL! I think we're unnecessarily confusing this poor newbie with complicated semantics. To paraphrase Dimondbob: a true H&A can be considered an ideal diamond as far as the general consumer thinks of ideal. The trick is making sure you're buying a true H&A.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

----------------
On 5/11/2004 12:28:23 PM jeff0514 wrote:

Are hearts and arrows cut diamonds always going to be ideal cut?
----------------
Generally yes but there are always exceptions to the rule. Ie. I have not seen many non ideal cut (according to the AGS definition of "ideal") that exhibit a true H&A pattern. I think I've only come across one or so.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results