shape
carat
color
clarity

HCA score v. GIA/AGS Ideal Cut Stds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kaylynn

Rough_Rock

Hello all! Love this discussion board and website! I''ve learned so much - this is my first post.

I''ve been married 16 years and my husband wants to upgrade my wedding ring for our anniversary this year. (We were the victim of a bait and switch years ago, but that''s another story.) I''ve been looking at 1.75 Brilliant Ideal Cut, G SI1''s and keep coming back to 1 stone in particular because it has more fire, brilliance and spread than the others. I''ve been using the HCA a lot in my search as it validates what I see when comparing diamonds, and has definitely helped in the elimintion process. The diamond I really like has a EGL lab cert, with the following specs:

Color = F-G (my expert says it''s borderline, so I''m assuming G)
Clarity = SI1 (my expert says it''s probably an SI2, but it is eye clean; one feather located on the upper girdle facet, but could be covered by a prong.)
Size = 1.71
Depth = 60%
Table = 56%
Crown Height % = 15%
Pavilion Depth % = 42%
Girdle - Thin to Medium
Girdle Thickness - 3%
Proportions - Excellent
Culet = None
HCA Grade = 1.3
Excellent Fire, Scintillation & Spread; Very Good Light Return

The diamond above does not fit into GIA or AGS Ideal Cut standards as indicated on the HCA color graph, but has a very good HCA score. I''ve been reading about GIA''s 10 year study in which they concluded that there was not any single set of cut proportions that could be identifed as "best".

That being said... should it bother me that the diamond I''m considering doesn''t fit into either GIA or AGS ideal cut standards? I''ve looked at about 5 other GIA certified diamonds (1.75 BIC''s, G, SI1) and although they are classified by GIA as Excellent Ideal cuts, they don''t score as well on the HCA... and I''ve been able to confirm that visually. I''m thinking the "ideal" would be to find a diamond that fits into both AGS and GIA cut standards AND scores well on HCA, but how difficult is that to find and how expensive is that going to get? Does anyone see anything about this diamond that concerns them?

Thanks for any comments or input you have...

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Warning...not an expert.

I think that option may be nice, and that a) you''re looking at it, too, and b) using an expert partner makes the process favorable. Make sure for pricing comparisons, when you consider value, you compare to other options and their prices with similar certs. And try to find, as you say, a comparable that does fall within the traditional lines, and compare visually, if you can. Presuming you''d pay a premium for this, you''ll be judge if the premius is worth it. So, perhaps it''s because it''s well outside the traditional lines that it was sent to EGL. I''m favorably disposed to using the HCA for this, this may get you good value here.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results