shape
carat
color
clarity

Have I Gone ABSOLUTELY BATTY? [:rodent:]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I think I have been staring at diamond rings on the web for too many hours per day and my brain is turning to mush.

BUT, you know how when you''ve seen enough of one designer''s work that you can sort of recognize it when you see it? Well, as some of you may know I am obsessed with Leon Mege''s stuff, and have spent hours pouring over pictures of his rings on the web and in his office to decide what I wanted for my own e-ring setting . . .

Well, I was just looking at Vivid Collection''s fabulous website (www.vividcollection.com)--utter eyecandy by the way--and I could SWEAR that some of the rings on there are his! I suppose this is totally possible, as he apparently does a lot of contract work for other jewelers, but it''s more likely that I''m just going whacko. I''ll post some comparison pics and you all can vote on whether ole reena is going soft up top.

reena

Ideal_Rock
Okay, Exhibit A.

The first thing that sort of caught my eye is that many of the Vivid rings have the same double-claw prongs that Leon is famous for (at least around here). Not that those are exclusive to him, but still . . . I see a lot of similarity between the top ring (Vivid) and the bottom two (Leon).

isitmege2.JPG

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I want the single giant EC at the bottom. Good L*rd! Rock candy!
10.gif

Sorry-I forgot your question and now, I am too busy cleaning up the drool to answer it.
2.gif
3.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
but THIS is the ring that really rang the bell, so to speak. i saw it and went: wait! i've seen that before! and then i figured out where.

similarity seems pretty amazing to me. top ring: vivid. bottom two: mege.

whaddya think? (not that it matters, except with respect to me being right. which matters to me.
1.gif
)

isitmegeA.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
top vivid, bottom mege

isitmegeB1.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
top vivid, bottom mege. top has milgrain, but otherwise very similar--note prongs.

isitmegeC.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
top vivid, bottom mege

isitmegeD.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
ditto

isitmegeE.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
you know the drill. not identical, but quite similar.

isitmegeG.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
last one.

hope you guys don't care that i posted all of these pics, but i thought it was a fascinating discovery (can you tell im proud of myself for noticing?) and anyway, this stuff is great eyecandy.

isitmegeF.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
okay, nobody wants to tell me what they think. i will await ana's opinion on this--i bet she chimes in!

ChooChoo

Brilliant_Rock
As a fellow attorney in training, I find this conclusive evidence - Leon is being ripped off!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I think it was great sleuthing, and great eye candy! You just have to love those Leon rings.....

I also like the new avatar
9.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
You do strike me as a skosh batty, but I think that's what I like about you.

Those Vivid rings are dead ringers for LM's work.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/23/2004 12:11:01 AM reena wrote:

okay, nobody wants to tell me what they think. I will await Ana’s opinion on this--I bet she chimes in!----------------

Thanks!
12.gif

Well... I don't think the "Vivid" rings are done by "Art of Platinum".

Trying hard to see through the obviously different photo setting (lighting, contrast.. what not), it seems that whatever choices are left between one large stone and a simple setting are made differently in the two collections.

Leon Mege's pieces have more detailed profiles (more inflexion points along curves - if this sounds clearer) than the others. The way the side stones connect to the shank and beneath the main is different too: in the Art of Platinum rings the angle between gems is kept more consistent so the shank follows to accommodate it and not the other way around (which is the more common choice and evident in the other rings), IMO.

Among the classics, those by Art of Platinum seem playful to me - there is intricate engineering of metal in Leon's rings that I do not see allot.
5.gif
The others are just "correct".

And, of course there is the "look" of important rings that strikes a poignant common cord in ever so subtle different ways
read.gif
Now, THESE are not by Art of Platinum either, or part of the Vivid collection, but some definitely come close, right?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OH MY GOD reena...you have out-done yourself. I actually haven't even read the thread yet. Is that my boss in our conf. room? That is probably the funniest thing I've seen in a while!!!! I am rolling.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
p.s.- another perfect use of the rodent face

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I do see similarities...but I think there are lots of places that do the double prongs very well...there are some on daniel k, some on harry winston, and there is great pave work on that popular sapphire site....as for the other design elements, it's just way too early for me
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Vivid rings do bear a pretty strong resemblance but Leon Mege's work has that extra "umph" that rings (pardon the pun) of elegance. It looks "softer" and the gems seem to flow into the metal. Ana has a discerning eye and she is correct. Leon's work has subtle differences. His rings taper better and curves at just the right places to please the eyes.

lindsal

Shiny_Rock
A) The new avatar is awesome Reena. You just crack me up.
B) Yes, there are certainly similarities.. what's the old saying, 'imitation is the highest form of flattery'. I think that's what we have a case of here. In each case, Leon's ring (even in pictures) looks just a little bit more well crafted.
C) You are spending waaaay too much time looking at diamonds. What's the count down at now for your ring being ready? At least shortly after that you can stare at your own hand rather then the computer screen. Its at least more portable.

[Oh, and Reena, by the way in response to the where in Rochester did I grow up question, Pittsford. And boy what I wouldn't do for a Wegmans spice muffin with my coffee this morning. Going back for 10 days at the holidays for wedding planning stuff, and can't wait... although I am sure once I am there, that I'll want to leave after 5 days. Where'd you grow up? ]

reena

Ideal_Rock
lol, i'm glad that you guys like my new avatar. it's actually from a funny discussion we were having on another thread, (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/she-stole-my-ring.19221/page-3), if you're interested. basically, it's the velter's head superimposed on a stock "lawyer" picture. it cracks me up.

i am also glad to hear that i am using the rodent face properly.
rodent.gif

i think you guys are right that leon's rings just seem to "flow" better. and before i get in trouble, i wasn't suggesting that vivid is knocking his work off or anything! in my mind, it's either a coincidence or it's actually leon. the latter really isn't out of the question, as "art of platinum" is really not primarily a retail business--most of what leon does, apparently, is behind-the-scenes work for other jewelers. i agree that the pieces aren't exact, but some of them are so similar as to be eerie--the first three stone ring, the ring with the blue stone and the ring with the purple pear to be specific. i think i will settle this by asking the man himself. maybe he'll tell me.

lindsal: you're right, the problem may be that i am simply longing for my own e-ring!!! i dropped it off with leon 3 weeks from yesterday, and he said 4-6 weeks, so. . . . could be soon! but not soon enough.
sad.gif
my BF and i are taking the first two weeks of november off, so i'm guessing it will be right around then. it's exciting--but so far off.

also: i grew up in penfield! clash of the snobby suburbs! i'll tell you though, we used to kick your guys' a$$es all over the field hockey field back in the day. i will say, though, pittsford has the absolute best weggie's in the city! that thing is the size of a shopping mall!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
reena! LUV your new avatar (luved the old one too but) it's hysterical!!
9.gif

oh- and YAY field hockey! we were NJ State Champs back in the day
2.gif

sparkler29

Shiny_Rock
Reena! LOVE your new avatar
appl.gif

Hilarious as usual
2.gif

Those prongs are to die for, and I can certainly see the resemblance. However aren't you glad you're getting your e-ring from the true master of the claw prongs?!?!?

SLH

Shiny_Rock
Reena,

At the first glance these pieces do look as though Leon may have created them, but after a close observation I don't think Leon made any of the rings you pictured.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, well... never occurred to me to hunt cases of "deja vu" before, but this thread brought some inspiration.

Since it does not rain 20 carat sapphires like the one below every day, I could not possibly forget the picture. It showed up at the two jewelers' websites mentioned on the pic. Actually, almost ALL rings listed at Walter Arnstein show up at Rare1. Cool
1.gif

DV1.JPG

reena

Ideal_Rock
lol, ana--apparently leon makes one like that as well!
3.gif
2.gif

triple deja vu!

bluemege.JPG

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Reena, you sure find interesting stuff for all of us to enjoy. Keep up the good work.

PS. thanks for the tips on Maui. I know I'll make it there on of these days. Our next big trip would be New Zealand.
1.gif

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
lindsal and reena - Why does everyone always talk about missing wegmans so much? I live in buffalo.. and wegmans is way cooler than TOPS.. but.. I just can't get that sentimental about grocery shopping, but I hear that ALL the time about wegmans. and I just don't get it..

Melissa

reena

Ideal_Rock
MS: do they have wegman's in buffalo too?

i ask because you don't really ever appreciate wegman's until you go to a city that doesn't have one!! it is far and away the most amazing grocery store i have ever been to. you don't realize how hard it is to find fresh fresh fresh produce, a clean store and a huge selection of products until you live in NYC and go to a gristedes, for example.
errrr.gif
14.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
yup
1.gif
gotta luv wegmans! ...wish they'd open one closer to me
sad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results