shape
carat
color
clarity

Has Anyone Purchased there Diamond from Quest Jewelers in Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

vinnyv11

Rough_Rock
After doing some research and inquiry on the boards I found a setting I love and that Quest Jewelers made it. Also through looking at reviews I haven't seen anyone with a negative experience there regarding there work with Jewelry. However, that being said I haven't seen anyone talk about actually buying their center diamond there. After talking with Pete on the phone he quoted me the price I wanted to pay but for a diamond that was a full 20 points bigger (1.71c).

So I wanted to get some feedback if anyone has any regarding diamond purchases from Quest because if this is truly the case then I will most likely buy my centerpiece along with the setting/wedding band from Quest. Thanks for your help.

Also another point of note is that i'm in Philly so if I commit to going with Quest Jewelers i'm looking at a 2.5 hour + commute just to see the diamonds so I was hoping to get some insight first.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi vinny,

I don''t recall seeing a diamond purchased from them, but that doesn''t mean there hasn''t been any. I would think it''s safe to say, not very many have. In looking over their stones just now, it seems they carry a nice mix of AGS/GIA stones, and that''s good to see. However, the reports aren''t available, so it''s impossible to compare them (and their true cut quality) with anything else. So at best, I think it would be hit and miss. There''s probably some great ones, and some not so great ones. (and I can tell the latter just from the limited info I saw) If you wanted an opinion on your particular stone and have all the info on it, we''d be happy to throw in our 2 cents.

As for settings, the vast majority seem to have had a great experience with Quest, only a couple negative ones that I know of.

vinnyv11

Rough_Rock
I was originally looking for a Asscher 1.5c, F or better, VS2 or better, Excellent/Excellent and was getting quotes that were what I expected (All GIA Stones). After speaking with Quest Jewelers he was able to quote me a 1.71c, F, VS1, Excelelnt/Excellent GIA stone for the same price I was seeing for the 1.5c. So I was just trying to get a feel if anyone had dealt with him for diamonds. I mean based on numbers and GIA I have to imagine its comparable to what i''ve seen. You can''t fake a GIA report I imagine. Anyways thats why I was looking for anyone with personal experiences.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have dealt with Pete, he made the setting for my asscher. I didn''t by the asscher from him, bought from www.goodoldgold.com
Can Pete send you pics of the stones?? So you could see them before you go?? Then you could post them here, and get Storm to view them, he knows asschers very well,. He helped me pick mine. Good luck!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 11:56:27 AM
Author: vinnyv11
I was originally looking for a Asscher 1.5c, F or better, VS2 or better, Excellent/Excellent and was getting quotes that were what I expected (All GIA Stones). After speaking with Quest Jewelers he was able to quote me a 1.71c, F, VS1, Excelelnt/Excellent GIA stone for the same price I was seeing for the 1.5c. So I was just trying to get a feel if anyone had dealt with him for diamonds. I mean based on numbers and GIA I have to imagine its comparable to what i''ve seen. You can''t fake a GIA report I imagine. Anyways thats why I was looking for anyone with personal experiences.
Just remember, while you can''t "fake" a grading report, all EX graded stones are not created equal. And the level of cut (or lack of) is reflected in the price....

Also, if you are looking at Asschers, that''s a whole different ballgame. The grading report will tell very little about an Asscher. Fancies are tricky. Have you done much research on cut, and what makes a great one? If not, that might be prudent (if you search on here, there are many threads with pics and info). And strm is the resident go to guy for them, I know he''d be glad to help you out, if you so desired.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 12:22:57 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 7/31/2009 11:56:27 AM
Just remember, while you can''t ''fake'' a grading report, all EX graded stones are not created equal. And the level of cut (or lack of) is reflected in the price....

Also, if you are looking at Asschers, that''s a whole different ballgame. The grading report will tell very little about an Asscher. Fancies are tricky. Have you done much research on cut, and what makes a great one? If not, that might be prudent (if you search on here, there are many threads with pics and info). And strm is the resident go to guy for them, I know he''d be glad to help you out, if you so desired.
Big ditto. The reports tell you something certainly. but asschers you have to see them. Just like many fancies. The numbers are a guideline..

vinnyv11

Rough_Rock
Understood. I''ve been using the numbers as a guideline as to whether I want to see it. So when I see numbers that make sense i''ve been taking a look. I think i''ve seen about 8 at this point and am starting to pick up on why one is better then the next. Especially in the stepping which based on my research really shows the brilliance of this great cut. I sent an email to Pete asking for pictures if possible and if I get them i''ll post them up however, just from going on the site and looking at inventory I believe this is one of the three that he felt fit best.

Shape: Asscher
Laboratory:GIA
Carat Weight:1.71
Cut:Very Good
Color:F
Clarity:VS1
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry:Excellent
Fluorescence:None
Measurements
Dimensions:6.58x6.49x4.47
L:W Ratio:1.01
Depth %:68.90
Table %:65.00
Culet:None
Girdle:Thick

GIA report attached. From the placement of the markings it looks like only a crystal (hopefully not a dark one) is keeping this a VS1 vs. a VVS

If I get pics i''ll post them. Any insight would be great.

Attachments

• cert=45760322&c=GIA&st.pdf
    69.3 KB · Views: 43

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
need pictures and crown height to tell you anything about it.
It has potential is all the numbers say.

vinnyv11

Rough_Rock
Wow. Thanks for finding the image. I sent an email asking for additional details so we''ll see what he gets back with as far as crown height is concerned. Just for comparison purposes this is one of the other ones he wanted to show me. Any comments on it?

Carat Weight:1.80
MeasurementsDimensions:6.66x6.60x4.50
L:W Ratio:1
Depth %:68.20
Table %:64.00
Girdle:Thick-Very Thick

Attachments

• cert=43256292&c=GIA&stock.pdf
    63.2 KB · Views: 41

vinnyv11

Rough_Rock
Strm,

Can you give me some more insight about windmills? Any images of ones that are squared off vs. ones that are not. And is one considered better than the other?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 2:32:55 PM
Wow. Thanks for finding the image. I sent an email asking for additional details so we''ll see what he gets back with as far as crown height is concerned. Just for comparison purposes this is one of the other ones he wanted to show me. Any comments on it?

Carat Weight:1.80

MeasurementsDimensions:6.66x6.60x4.50

L:W Ratio:1

Depth %:68.20

Table %:64.00

Girdle:Thick-Very Thick
no picture online, numbers have potential.
Are you ok with 666?

vinnyv11

Rough_Rock
Never thought about the 666 thing lol. Thats when the GIA report is never to be seen by the wife lol.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 2:41:17 PM
Strm,

Can you give me some more insight about windmills? Any images of ones that are squared off vs. ones that are not. And is one considered better than the other?
It is personal preference the tapered ones are considered more correct.

Here are some tapered ones on computer generated models...

facetsasschers.jpg

vinnyv11

Rough_Rock
Ah so when your speaking of squared off you mean that the windmall doesn''t grow outward as it comes toward the edges. So when its squared it almost looks a consistent width in the windmill? Let me know if i''m not following this correctly.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Instead of being a smooth taper it stays wide then comes to point at a steep angle on the last set of facets on the pavilion.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/31/2009 3:16:26 PM
Ah so when your speaking of squared off you mean that the windmall doesn''t grow outward as it comes toward the edges. So when its squared it almost looks a consistent width in the windmill? Let me know if i''m not following this correctly.
correct

consistent width or nearly so down until it gets close to the center then sharply angles in.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results