shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone ever successfully had a bezeled eternity band sized?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Random question...but with this type of eternity band is it possible to resize by removing a few stones and then re-soldering?

It's an antique, and fits my middle finger, so if I can't resize it isn't a big deal, but I'd love to be able to stack it with my ering instead...I just couldn't resist, it was a great price and since I am about to give birth to twin boys I thought I deserved something sparkly.
3.gif
I haven't gotten it yet and want to make sure it was as represented before I get TOO excited though, but I'll post handshots, etc. when I get it assuming I decide to keep it.

Anyone ever do anything like this successfully? Or any jewelers/appraisers know if it might be possible? Thought maybe since it wasn't a shared prong or channel set and the design wouldn't be ruined by removing a section it might be possible...but I know how it goes with resizing eternities normally.

246011f.jpg

pocahontas

Brilliant_Rock
Neat, I don't have an answer to your question. But, I had to post 'cause that band is freakin GORGEOUS! I'll take one too, please
30.gif
I hope you keep it and post tons of finger shots!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 10:26:19 PM
Author: bgray
did you ask the seller/store?

I did, but unfortunately they didn''t seem too knowledgeable about the band never mind the sizing.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
i bought a vintage channel set band of asschers and it was about a size too small. they were able to shave out the inside enough (mine had a reallt think interior wall) to make it fit--that might be an option but the inisde of your band doesnt appear to have a "smooth" wall of metal--perhaps someone really good could do it--where are you located? generally

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 10:51:07 PM
i bought a vintage channel set band of asschers and it was about a size too small. they were able to shave out the inside enough (mine had a reallt think interior wall) to make it fit--that might be an option but the inisde of your band doesnt appear to have a 'smooth' wall of metal--perhaps someone really good could do it--where are you located? generally

I actually need it smaller not bigger, hence the removing the link idea.

I'm in Wisconsin but my parents live right outside of Great Barrington, MA so if I can't find someone here to give me an answer I might have to stop by that antique jeweler you love there and ask them next time we head out that way to visit.
3.gif

Like I said, regardless I can wear it on my middle finger, so I am not super worried about it. But was just curious since the place I bought it from seemed to have no clue.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 10:56:07 PM
Author: neatfreak

i bought a vintage channel set band of asschers and it was about a size too small. they were able to shave out the inside enough (mine had a reallt think interior wall) to make it fit--that might be an option but the inisde of your band doesnt appear to have a ''smooth'' wall of metal--perhaps someone really good could do it--where are you located? generally

I''m in Wisconsin but my parents live right outside of Great Barrington, MA so if I can''t find someone here to give me an answer I might have to stop by that antique jeweler you love there and ask them next time we head out that way to visit.
3.gif

Like I said, regardless I can wear it on my middle finger, so I am not super worried about it. But was just curious since the place I bought it from seemed to have no clue.
gee im sorry i am braindead--right smaller. seriously if anyone can do it right they can as they also work extensively with fine vinatge pieces. the way this band is constructed i would think that a link could be removed my only fear is that rejoining the ends and this making the band have to curve in more might be a serious stress to the piece. what about adding little bars of platinum on the bridges underneath --between the bezels all around of as needed ?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 11:20:27 PM
Date: 11/26/2008 10:56:07 PM

Author: neatfreak

i bought a vintage channel set band of asschers and it was about a size too small. they were able to shave out the inside enough (mine had a reallt think interior wall) to make it fit--that might be an option but the inisde of your band doesnt appear to have a 'smooth' wall of metal--perhaps someone really good could do it--where are you located? generally

I'm in Wisconsin but my parents live right outside of Great Barrington, MA so if I can't find someone here to give me an answer I might have to stop by that antique jeweler you love there and ask them next time we head out that way to visit.
3.gif

gee im sorry i am braindead--right smaller. seriously if anyone can do it right they can as they also work extensively with fine vinatge pieces. the way this band is constructed i would think that a link could be removed my only fear is that rejoining the ends and this making the band have to curve in more might be a serious stress to the piece. what about adding little bars of platinum on the bridges underneath --between the bezels all around of as needed ?

I was thinking something similar too maybe adding a strip of metal inside or something...we'll just have to see I guess!

PS: I can't wait to check out that store next time I am in the area, they have GORGEOUS pieces. I can't believe I grew up there and had no idea it was there...

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
Neatfreak that band is to die for--if it is just moderately too big (and not completely enormous) i am sure something could be done and it would be worth trying IMO. Mctiegue and MCClelland is amazing-. They have wonderful things and many more wearable and less showy pieces too--like rings of wonderful colored sapphires with enamelled bands .................they are really into buying old stones and re-using them. Good luck and let us know what transpires with this lovely band!

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
If a customer came in to my store I could have it sized for them.

It's a lot of work, but it can be done. Basically, your diamonds are not bezel set, they're prong set if you look closely there are 4 prongs per stone. They would cut the ring, reshape it, solder it, and re-tighten the prongs of every single diamond. Then it would be good as new.

Re-shaping the ring back to round after removing a section would be the most challenging part, but it's doable.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks Yosef. I do realize they are prong set ultimately, but since there is metal around it I figured that was the bigger issue. I appreciate the professional opinion!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2008 11:41:06 PM
i have been coveting this band but yours is even prettier!

http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=8998

Ohh that one is gorgeous too! This one was just such a steal I couldn''t resist...assuming that the stones are as nice (or even close to) as nice as the vendor says I will be one happy camper.

Can''t wait to go to Mctiegue and MCClelland next time I am in the area...unfortunately I don''t think it''ll be until June for a good friend''s wedding, but I am certainly going to head in there! I always go to RW Wise, so I''ll just have to make a day of it now and head over to GB too.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I don''t have the answer but wanted to chime in on how beautiful the band is. I love it.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 9:15:49 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I don''t have the answer but wanted to chime in on how beautiful the band is. I love it.

Thanks Charmy! I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it too! I think my eyes were glued to ebay until the auction ended. But I haven''t seen it in person yet so I am trying not to get too attached until it shows up and I can make sure it was as promised!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
HI NF,

Ohh, that band is GORGEOUS!!! Lurve it.

Ditto on Yosef''s comments - it CAN be done, especially since it does not need to resized radically. We have had it done many times before.

Cant wait to see pics (+ I did not know you are expecting twins - congratulations!).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 9:51:27 AM
Author: HeartingDiamonds
HI NF,

Ohh, that band is GORGEOUS!!! Lurve it.

Ditto on Yosef's comments - it CAN be done, especially since it does not need to resized radically. We have had it done many times before.

Cant wait to see pics (+ I did not know you are expecting twins - congratulations!).

Killer! Thanks Grace. I was hoping you or Erica might respond! Someday hopefully I can pair it with one of the gorgeous rocks from your site!!!

And yes, twin boys! They are "due" on New Years, but twins always come early...so anytime now! I told my DH that since I am going to be completely outnumbered (our dogs are boys too) that I deserved some pampering! Luckily he agreed.
1.gif

Yekutiel

Shiny_Rock
Hi Neatfreak,
Indeed that is a beautiful eternity band. In my personal experience I have seen and I have done resizing eternity bands. It is safe to down a half size on most styles of eternity bands and if not more. Please note that not every jeweler is capable of doing the job. If you are ever in New York City there is only one jeweler that I trust entirely that can size down the band without misshaping it and to even to show signs that it was sized. I would gladly introduce you to him. However, in your case I see no problem that it cannot be done. As long as you will be removing a whole section of the band and not a half a section you should be okay.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 10:39:18 AM
Author: Yekutiel
Hi Neatfreak,

Indeed that is a beautiful eternity band. In my personal experience I have seen and I have done resizing eternity bands. It is safe to down a half size on most styles of eternity bands and if not more. Please note that not every jeweler is capable of doing the job. If you are ever in New York City there is only one jeweler that I trust entirely that can size down the band without misshaping it and to even to show signs that it was sized. I would gladly introduce you to him. However, in your case I see no problem that it cannot be done. As long as you will be removing a whole section of the band and not a half a section you should be okay.

Thanks Yekutiel. Seems to be the consensus that it can be done with the right person, which is great. I do have a good local jeweler who has done some great work for me in the past, but I''m not sure I trust them with this one since I''ve never seen any of their major repair work. We''ll just have to see.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
NF, I just want to say that this band absolutely stunning! Soooo pretty! I''m so glad to hear that it can be sized for you!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2008 10:57:59 AM
Author: NewEnglandLady
NF, I just want to say that this band absolutely stunning! Soooo pretty! I''m so glad to hear that it can be sized for you!

Thanks NEL! I''m very excited to be able to stack it with my other wedding rings instead of wearing it on my middle finger! I''ll post pictures when it arrives!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results