shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand Engraved Platinum Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
While at a B & M store, I saw a setting I really loved. It was for a 3 stone ring and was hand engraved platinum. The setting included the 2 very small sidestones, but had no other stones or pave, etc. Just the hand engraved platinum. The price of this setting was $2200. My boyfriend and I both like this setting and he is ok with the price. However, I was just wondering if we could get something similar, custom-made for very much less? Is the hand engraving very labor intensive - which may make the cost of a custom job about the same price?

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
bump

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi LA,

You could send pics to a couple of vendors for a quote. I''m not sure going custom is going to be much less than just going ahead and buying the stock peice but it would give it a try. I also know most B & M''s have a mark up and you could probably get them to knock a bit off the price they have marked.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Yes, hand-engraved pieces will be more expensive than those done with a machine, particularly if they're done well. It's hard to comment on the price without seeing the setting or knowing more about the diamond weight and quality, but it doesn't sound particularly unusual for an intricate platinum setting.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LA,

Certain engraving jobs can be pretty time consuming and require quite a bit of skill while others are pretty easy. It depends a lot on the design and how the manufacturing is approached. A factory can knock out a bunch of rings fairly quickly by casting the engraving in place to start with so the engraver is really only touching up some brightcuts that were already there and adding a millgrain to the edges. Match this with Chinese labor rates and you can get an engraved look relatively inexpensively. I'm not sure I would described this as hand engraving but plenty of the stores use this term. At the other end of the extreme, I once had a client who wanted a carved image of a cat on the side of the piece. As if that wasn't hard enough, not just any old cat would do. She had a particular cat in mind and gave us a handfull of photos to work from! We worked with an engraver from the mint and it worked out pretty well but this was a very expensive job.

$2200 is a reasonable budget for many jobs. If you can give some more details, or even a photo, there are some pretty good craftsmen here who can give you a bid to make the piece.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, guys, for the great info! Like I said, we are ok with buying the setting outright - but it might be fun and a little more personal tweaking the design a little and having it custom made. Maybe change the shape of the side stones? Yes, it is hand engraved - we were shown a few that were cast and were quite a bit less expensive. I couldn''t really tell the difference, but the b/f could, and he always opts for the "quality". This is the only picture I could find on the web. The designer is Coast Diamonds.

http://www.robbinsbros.com/ProductSearch/productDetail.asp?prod_id=21723&set_shape=1012&pType=ring&flag=1

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Oh, and I''m not sure if it makes a difference, buy my ring size is 3.25 to 3.5. Thanks again, everyone.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
LA, that is a very pretty setting.

Date: 9/14/2005 1:02:58 PM
Author: LAJennifer
Oh, and I''m not sure if it makes a difference, buy my ring size is 3.25 to 3.5. Thanks again, everyone.

From what I have seen, most all designers charge just a bit more for a ring under size 4 and over size 8. I don''t have that problem, so I don''t know if the charge is rather nominal or quite steep. I think you would just have to inquire about it when discussing it with the designer, but do expect a little more for your size.

Shay

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
LA- I think the ring you have picked out is lovely but I have seen many rings like it. You may want to look around the net and see what else you could find.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
i agree, you should look around a bit more. i think the price is in line for a hand engraved piece with small sidestones.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a scott kay ring from Pearlmans that is similar for $1700.

30U13.jpg

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
We''ve looked at a ton of settings and this is the only one that we both really like. I hate solitaires and he HATES pave (says it reminds him of clogged pores). We are still looking though.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I guess what I meant was that I have either seen that exact setting before, or one extremely similiar to it. Though to be 100% honest it was not my taste so I did not ask how much it was. If you think you want custom shot out a few quick emails and see what you get back.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results