shape
carat
color
clarity

Hand deliver diamond to Vatche? Other options?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I saw a recent thread on getting a Blue Nile stone into a vatche setting but I did not way to thread jack and the thread seemed to be moving in another direction toward a BN setting. Sorry in advance for the length of the post.

Anyways, I have purchased a loose diamond thru ritani (1.01 6.41 x 6.44mm AGS000 I VS2). I didn't intend on purchasing through them but they had the best price that I had seen in the size range. They also had the diamond in house and I was able to do a online/phone convo with the gemologist. It was an extremely smooth transaction and I am quite happy with that portion.

I would like to add that we did try to give the local jeweler a shot at the diamond but they were not even familiar with AGS, idealscopes or anything other than I should like what's pleasing to my eyes. I was super stuck on getting an AGS000, and they did say they would call some in if I wanted but the prices they kept coming back with were ridiculous. They did mention I should at least purchase setting through them...which was what I was intending on doing.

Problem lies here. They want to set the stone in-house. They have not worked with vatche settings as they are a retailer but do not carry any settings in store, so people don't come in asking for them. I am worried about them messing up prongs or not having it seated properly. I want modifications that Mico received on her ring from IDJ which is shaved to 2mm shank and set med high (which I was surprised when she said that was how it was set because it doesn't even look high to me!). I also want the special PS alloy 90 plat/10 iridium.

I understand why the local store would not want to handle the sale as they are really just the middleman to shipping to vatche (which they've pretty much refused to do) since I have not done any business with them.

Vatche is closed til tomorrow but I didn't know if anyone on the forum had any ideas on what I can do to proceed?

I do live within 3.5 hours of NYC so I could potentially hand deliver to Vatche, but I'm not sure if they even allow this directly with consumers!

I'm befuddled.

Any ideas? :)

Ps: here's a few fire shots of my baby sparkler in the carand a not so great pic of it on my hand under the clouds!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1391357134.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1391357301.jpg

phale

Shiny_Rock
Re: Hand deliver diamond to Vatche? Other options?

From my experience, Vatche doesnt deal with the general public.

I had to send my diamond to my vendor and he gave it to Vatche to be set. If I remember correctly, Vatche must be the one to set your diamond so that the warranty on the setting is intact.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you for the response Phale. This is exactly what I thought as well re: warranty - but the local jeweler wants to do it in house. I cannot send it back to the vendor as it is Ritani and I doubt they would send the stone to a competitor to set. :(

phale

Shiny_Rock

Can you use another vendor for Vatche setting?

Excel diamond is having 25% off. I would buy and send the diamond to them then Vatche can set it.

I love your fire pics :)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

phale|1391368575|3606552 said:
Can you use another vendor for Vatche setting?

Excel diamond is having 25% off. I would buy and send the diamond to them then Vatche can set it.

I love your fire pics :)

Are you sure? Vatche has a minimum price at which their goods are to be sold. If they are selling Vatche for 25% less than that they are in violation of their agreement with Vatche.

Wink

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I just checked excel website ... seems like a good deal and option for you!

brene

Rough_Rock

If you buy a Vatche setting from Excel but not the diamond how does that work?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just a couple of notes. I have the Vatche U-113. I did ask for the 90plat/10iridium. Vatche sets the diamond at a perfect height. You do not need to give them directions on height. I have never seen them set a diamond too low in this setting. You also don't have to adjust the width of the shank because mine certainly is not over 2mm. It appears less than that due to the knife edge. Really the only thing you need to ask for is the change in the platinum, and someone on another thread said they were doing 95/5 ruthenium by request and not the alloy above, and that is fine because it is even harder.

Ideally it would have been easier to have bought a diamond from a Vatche dealer. You will have to get the diamond to a Vatche dealer so they can send it to Vatche to set for you. ID Jewelry in NYC sells Vatche and so does Good Old Gold on Long Island if you choose to hand deliver. Wink also sells it if you decide to send it by mail.

Here is my ring to show you how very thin it already is. The wedding band is 2mm and you can see that the Vatche ring appears thinner. Sorry I don't have a side view, but this is my second stone to have in this setting and the stones were set the perfect height both times.

r_2013-06-22_4.jpg

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1391404640|3606823 said:
Just a couple of notes. I have the Vatche U-113. I did ask for the 90plat/10iridium. Vatche sets the diamond at a perfect height. You do not need to give them directions on height. I have never seen them set a diamond too low in this setting. You also don't have to adjust the width of the shank because mine certainly is not over 2mm. It appears less than that due to the knife edge. Really the only thing you need to ask for is the change in the platinum, and someone on another thread said they were doing 95/5 ruthenium by request and not the alloy above, and that is fine because it is even harder.

Ideally it would have been easier to have bought a diamond from a Vatche dealer. You will have to get the diamond to a Vatche dealer so they can send it to Vatche to set for you. ID Jewelry in NYC sells Vatche and so does Good Old Gold on Long Island if you choose to hand deliver. Wink also sells it if you decide to send it by mail.

Here is my ring to show you how very thin it already is. The wedding band is 2mm and you can see that the Vatche ring appears thinner. Sorry I don't have a side view, but this is my second stone to have in this setting and the stones were set the perfect height both times.

I'm actually surprised to see such a delicate U-113 as the normal width is approximately 2.3mm to 2.7mm, depending on the size of the stone they are putting in there. We have had clients request that the ring be made more delicate, and Vatche is very accommodating with that request, as they are with claw prongs and other customization.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you all! I will look into those options.

DS: your vatche does look quite delicate! My diamond is much smaller than most, so i just want to make sure its showcased properly. Mico is a buddy of mine and with her blessing, i am trying to replicate her Vatche - she told me that she had them customize to 2mm so thats where my idea came from. I plan on supplying profile shots of her ring to get the height correct. She said that it was "medium high". It doesn't look very high at all to me, so i was worried that maybe they set the diamond super low (which i do NOT want). Thank you for letting me know about the change of alloy. I have been keeping an ongoing note that i will supply to the SO. He thinks I'm a looney tune :-o

ibdrinken

Shiny_Rock

brene|1391390341|3606739 said:
If you buy a Vatche setting from Excel but not the diamond how does that work?

I have been dealing with Barty at Excel for a few yars now and in the process of buying my E-Ring from him this week. I would just give them a call and explain to him exactly what you want. His number is 866-829-8600

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Help me get my understanding of this topic right please. If I were to buy the Vatche U-113 let's say from IDJ, does he have to send my stone to Vatche for setting or would his bench set it? Or say if I didn't want to ship my stone to him because of shipping cost to/back, could a local bench set it for me? Just wondering how this affects the warranty with Vatche?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Hand deliver diamond to Vatche? Other options?

I emailed Vatche and their response was that if anyone other than Vatche sets the diamond or does work on the setting then the warranty is void. So in order to retain the warranty, the authorized retailer has to send the diamond to Vatche for setting.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LoveLikeCrazy|1391456973|3607110 said:
I emailed Vatche and their response was that if anyone other than Vatche sets the diamond or does work on the setting then the warranty is void. So in order to retain the warranty, the authorized retailer has to send the diamond to Vatche for setting.

So, who pays for shipping the diamond to Vatche?

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

bright ice|1391460438|3607154 said:

I believe that would be something you have to discuss with your vendor. At this point i'm still making attempts to work with my local jeweler to send it - but if they won't - i will be talking to the vendors listed in this thread.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

LoveLikeCrazy|1391461833|3607163 said:

I believe that would be something you have to discuss with your vendor. At this point i'm still making attempts to work with my local jeweler to send it - but if they won't - i will be talking to the vendors listed in this thread.

If they wont, that is just silly on their part. Especially if you bought the mounting through them.

Wink

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You are quoted a price for the setting and that is what you pay. Same with Tacori and any brand that wants to set the stone. The shipping to the designer is built in to the cost. You send your stone to the jeweler and they take care of the rest and send it to you when it is done.

(Wink, my guess is maybe that jeweler is not a Vatche dealer and maybe Vatche won't work with them?)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

(See note above in my last post about price. No need to discuss. You pay for the setting.)

Are you sure your jeweler is an authorized Vatche dealer? I wouldn't discuss this with them further because they are going against Vatche's policies by insisting that they set the stone. You might want to find a new jeweler. All the PS vendors who sell Vatche send the stone there to be set.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LoveLikeCrazy|1391441277|3606936 said:
Thank you all! I will look into those options.

DS: your vatche does look quite delicate! My diamond is much smaller than most, so i just want to make sure its showcased properly. Mico is a buddy of mine and with her blessing, i am trying to replicate her Vatche - she told me that she had them customize to 2mm so thats where my idea came from. I plan on supplying profile shots of her ring to get the height correct. She said that it was "medium high". It doesn't look very high at all to me, so i was worried that maybe they set the diamond super low (which i do NOT want). Thank you for letting me know about the change of alloy. I have been keeping an ongoing note that i will supply to the SO. He thinks I'm a looney tune :-o

The setting that used to be set too low was Excel's version of the Tiffany setting, and the shank was also slightly wider. I think because of that, some people felt they needed to tell Vatche to change things, but mine had zero instructions other than the alloy and the setting is thin and the stone is set the correct height for this type head. It shouldn't be too high or too low. Naturally a smaller stone is going to be lower than a larger one due to the lesser depth. My ring is already thinner than a real Tiffany setting, and I cannot imagine it one bit thinner.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought the U113 was 1.8 mm. My bro got it for his fiancee and the shank is really skinny, definitely under 2mm. It's a 1.1ct diamond in it. Hmm, now I'm curious and will be bringing my calipers to girls night tomorrow, lol.

I would look for Vatche dealers near you, or if your jeweler is the only one, send it to a PS vendor who sells Vatche.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1391468656|3607270 said:

(See note above in my last post about price. No need to discuss. You pay for the setting.)

Are you sure your jeweler is an authorized Vatche dealer? I wouldn't discuss this with them further because they are going against Vatche's policies by insisting that they set the stone. You might want to find a new jeweler. All the PS vendors who sell Vatche send the stone there to be set.

DS, i found the jeweler was through Vatche website under "retailers" tab. I wonder if it is possible that that list is not updated? There are only 2 Vatche auth retailers in my immediate area. One is 10 mins from me (the one I'm trying to work with) and the other is 1.5 hours from me. I had emailed both and neither carry the designs in store but both said they could get them. I chose the stone, etc and i handed over for SO to take care of the rest. We have had the stone since beginning of Jan and i asked how it was going and he told me that he had made some progress and had called Friday and they could have the setting in a week, except work was so busy he did not have time to go in to pay the deposit! (THANK GOD!) Freak out ensues, and i am now in the picture trying to work this out...I've decided to give the local retailer the benefit of the doubt and i'm waiting on one last response from them. I did email them with emails i received from Vatche about the warranty and that they should set it etc...If they are still saying they want to set it in house, then i am definitely looking into going through a PS vendor.

Regarding the shank, I have been talking back and forth between Vatche and they did say they base the height based on structural integrity and aesthetics. He said the shank width can be changed but it incurs additional labor costs. I emailed one last time with the shank width for my size stone, but i emailed after 5pm, so i have not received a reply.

distracts said:
I thought the U113 was 1.8 mm. My bro got it for his fiancee and the shank is really skinny, definitely under 2mm. It's a 1.1ct diamond in it. Hmm, now I'm curious and will be bringing my calipers to girls night tomorrow, lol.

I would look for Vatche dealers near you, or if your jeweler is the only one, send it to a PS vendor who sells Vatche.

If you do bring your calipers, i would be happy to know what you come up with!!! :naughty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, I hope they will send it to Vatche but they worry me as to whether you could trust them to really do it. That was good that you told them you called Vatche, though!!!

My setting is about 2-2.1mm at the top of the shank near the stone and 1.8-1.9 at the bottom. But again, the shank is only 2mm at the very base next to your finger. The knife edge is thinner than the base, obviously. That is why it looks much thinner in reality. I would not ask them to customize because the shank is already very thin in appearance. You can see that it appears thinner than the 2mm wedding band sitting next to it.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1391477667|3607406 said:
Okay, I hope they will send it to Vatche but they worry me as to whether you could trust them to really do it. That was good that you told them you called Vatche, though!!!

My setting is about 2-2.1mm at the top of the shank near the stone and 1.8-1.9 at the bottom. But again, the shank is only 2mm at the very base next to your finger. The knife edge is thinner than the base, obviously. That is why it looks much thinner in reality. I would not ask them to customize because the shank is already very thin in appearance. You can see that it appears thinner than the 2mm wedding band sitting next to it.

Thanks for the concern DS! I am also concerned now with their ability to "follow through", i will give them the chance to respond though, and go from there. Plan B is taking a trip to LI this weekend. it is a 3.5 hour drive for us. i would feel much more comfortable dealing with a PS vendor. I would prefer to hand deliver the stone to GOG than to ship it. We just thought dealing local would be easier...this is proving to be not the case. :nono:

I also think i will leave shank as is. I might still request the special alloy though :wacko:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results