shape
carat
color
clarity

Halos...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry...though they seem to be kinda popular here...

aren''t they sort of like putting ketchup on a good piece of steak?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
That really made me laugh
19.gif
haha that's a really funny metaphor

Although I can definitely see your point, people could argue the same thing about sidestones in the band (I suppose). I love the look of halos, but they're not for me. I guess I just love it all :) plus if it's a "petit filet," so to speak, maybe the ketchup adds some much needed bulk to a hungry woman's meal?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Musey,

Thanks for your thoughts. A reasonable extension.

For me, no, the ketchup wouldn''t add much "bulk." But, sure, mashed potatoes and green beans as side stones...this works (for me).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol

To each his own. They are great for increasing finger coverage at a more reasonable cost than increasing carat size, and then there''s the bling factor. I personally wouldn''t put one on a round, but I''d LOVE one on a pear or oval.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL too!! Definitely to each his/ her own. I like my steaks very rare ("bleu") whilst DH likes his medium-rare. I also love steaks au-poivre whilst he prefers his just grilled on charcoal. But definitely no ketchup for either one of us!
3.gif

As for halos, baguettes, etc. I LOVE them, but then I also love diamonds on simple settings, provided they are more than 5 carats! he he!
2.gif
. DH is definitely against halos or even tiny diamonds just on the band.
8.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 11:55:26 AM
Author:Regular Guy
I''m sorry...though they seem to be kinda popular here...

depends on the quality of the steak... could also be compared to cocktail sauce on prawns - yum!!!!

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
LOL regular guy! Some could say that''s exactly right.

I think a halo done right (firegoddess''s and divergrrl''s come to mind) enhances the diamond and ring overall. I have seen here and IRL, halos that shouldn''t have been done or were so over the top, it took away from the diamond. That applies to any setting really.

That being said, I do love halos (again, done right) but halos don''t love me. They don''t look "right" on my finger. Next year I will be having my marquis citrine placed into a micropave halo setting but because the center stone is colored, it looks ok on me (go figure).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 12:07:19 PM
Author: lienTN
LOL too!! Definitely each to his/ her own. I like my steaks very rare (''bleu'') whilst DH likes his medium-rare. I also love steaks au-poivre whilst he prefers his just grilled on charcoal. But definitely no ketchup for either one of us!
3.gif

As to halos, baguettes, etc. I LOVE them, but then I also love diamonds on simple settings, provided they are more than 5 carats! he he!
2.gif
. DH is definitely against halos or even tiny diamonds just on the band.
8.gif
I figure if I''m going to eat meat I might as well eat it nice and bloody!!! yum!! lol But I don''t like it with the pepper sauce as well as grilled LOL No ketchup here! However! I''ve had overcooked steak that really could only be helped by treating it like tough hamburger... ketchup is the *improvement*!

It''s funny because my husband is generally against diamonds but on my band he actually said, "shouldn''t those be bigger" LOL!!!! I about died :D

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly (and I own a halo ering) - I''d say it was like putting a bernaise sauce on a steak. Some people like it, some people don''t. Some people think it enhances the flavor of the steak...others prefer a plain steak.

I love bernaise sauce and halos!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too, think of it not as ketchup on a steak, but more like some melted gorgonzola on top.
18.gif
Some think it unnecessary, and some don''t even like it at all, but if you do...it really adds a nice, unexpected WOW to an otherwise good piece of meat to make it not only good, but great.
5.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, I am STARVING!

I went halo to help protect my stone while the kids still keep me tooo busy.....

When we all grow up I would like to reset it with sidestones, but in the meantime, I have already chipped several diamonds with my very busy hands. (Not all thin girdle) I like to wear them everyday, so I hope it helps to protect the stone.

Now, let''s eat
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Halos look too big on my 4.5 finger and overall I have mixed feelings about them. I love a very thin halo on an asscher if it''s done well. Since asschers aren''t all that sparkly and are a little smaller, it helps to give them some umph. However, a larger round just gets lost in a halo. I think halos are relaly good for smaller diamonds too (.25-.75) or on people with big hands. Not all halos are created equal either. A very thin halo from ritani or leon looks much better and compliments the stone better than some others out there.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, what kcoursolle said! I like them but if I ever got one, I''d wear it as a RHR and not as an engagement ring. In general, I prefer my diamonds without ketchup, though a side of mashed potatoes is quite tasty.
9.gif

If I were to get one, my ideal halo''ed ring would be a 1.5 carat OEC or OMC in a thin, octogonal halo.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 2:16:24 PM
Author: KristyDarling
If I were to get one, my ideal halo''ed ring would be a 1.5 carat OEC or OMC in a thin, octogonal halo.
Oooh, Kristy, you''re singin my song! YUM!

I really, really, really (imagine 1000 more "really"s here) wanted a halo. I went so far as DRAWING it on my hand (in thankfully non perm ink
3.gif
). But, alas, even though I have humongo hands .. it just did not look "right" on me.

Since then I''ve been seduced by non-ering halos ... like Traveling Gal''s David Yurman ... but when I''ve tried similar things on myself ... ALSO NO GO!

So frustrating!

Love ''em on other folks, to the point of OBSESSION. Loathe ''em on my own fleshy flappers.
7.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif

I love love love halos on any fancy shape. They totally enhance pears, asschers, radiants, cushions & etc.

I think of it as butter on steak. Enhances the flavor, brings out the wonderful texture...

But you aren't the only one who thinks that way -- here's an interesting read on an anti-elaborate setting.
Saw this on http://www.diamondvues.com/diamond_engagement_rings/ while searching for settings.
Thought it was an interesting, albeit purist, philosophy.

THE ARTICLE BELOW IS FROM DIAMONDVUES.COM - NOT MY PERSONAL OPINION!
41.gif

What is it about the Tiffany six prong setting that has so captivated the masses, making it the most popular traditional solitaire diamond ring of all time?

There is more than one answer to this question. However, one reason in particular is the foundation for all others and is the basis of this article.

There is a very core difference in philosophy and objective between the designers of the Tiffany classic setting and the designers of other fashion jewelry rings like Tacori, Verragio, and Scott Kay (to name a few). Many of the manufacturers for designer engagement ring settings have a primary goal of commanding the attention of the viewer to the ring setting itself. They would like the observer to immediately notice not the center diamond but the actual engagement ring and to recognize it as their “branded” setting. To accomplish this goal they will often design ring settings that are extremely “busy” with a lot of filigree and detailing.

Many of their creations also feature accent diamonds in different shapes, sizes, and configurations. These jazzed up and gaudy settings effectively overpower the center diamond and draw attention away from the diamond to the ring. Now this is no big deal in an instance where the center round diamond is of poor cut quality and (consequently) appears dull and lifeless to the viewer. In this type of scenario, the ring setting becomes a positive diversion from an awful looking diamond. However, in the case of an Ideal cut diamond which has been crafted to achieve a high level of beauty and brilliance, it distracts the viewer from what should be the prize of the entire engagement ring ensemble; a magnificent and sparkling ideally cut diamond.

The designers and creators of the famous Tiffany Classic Engagement ring setting had the primary objective of promoting the beauty of a well cut diamond in mind. They were preoccupied with creating the ultimate complement to a high quality loose diamond. Theirs, would be the type of ring that would literally push the diamond into the light and highlight its beauty and brilliance for all to see. There would be no distraction from the prize (center diamond) to the ring setting. At the same time, they made every effort to create a setting that would be timeless, understated, and elegant; an engagement ring that would radiate class and not scream fad. Thus, the magnificent Tiffany diamond engagement ring was born.

Here is a direct quote taken from the Tiffany website:

“Over a lifetime a woman may look at her engagement ring one million times or more. Design is important. Every Tiffany setting shoulders the diamond with consummate respect, honor, and grace. The diamond is the Hero. The stone is held properly by the girdle, to maximize light moving in and out. The prongs are thick enough to hold the stone tightly, yet thin enough to be a beautiful design element. Each Tiffany ring has balance and pleasing proportions. Design gimmicks and fads are eschewed.”

I actually love diamond settings, though!!! Oh well, to each his/her own.
31.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 2:16:24 PM
Author: KristyDarling
Yeah, what kcoursolle said! I like them but if I ever got one, I''d wear it as a RHR and not as an engagement ring. In general, I prefer my diamonds without ketchup, though a side of mashed potatoes is quite tasty.
9.gif

:D Yeah no ketchup on the steak, but I''ll take ketchup on my fries!!! I was just posting the other day that I''ve love a VERY light blue sapphire in a halo ring :) yummy!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 3:16:11 PM
Author: Julian

There is a very core difference in philosophy and objective between the designers of the Tiffany classic setting and the designers of other fashion jewelry rings like Tacori, Verragio, and Scott Kay (to name a few). Many of the manufacturers for designer engagement ring settings have a primary goal of commanding the attention of the viewer to the ring setting itself. They would like the observer to immediately notice not the center diamond but the actual engagement ring and to recognize it as their “branded” setting. To accomplish this goal they will often design ring settings that are extremely “busy” with a lot of filigree and detailing.
the author could have left out the word "gaudy" but mostly I agree.... sort of.... I think the tiff settings are a little plain, but many are a bit busy.... I think the best rings are the ones that achieve *balance* between their quality, size, shape, attributes, and the artistry of the metal that encases it.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
CehraBehra, I totally agree. I dislike the word "gaudy." What's gaudy to one is FABULOUS to another.

ETA: A funny thing! Whenever I hear women whisper that someone's ring is gaudy, the ring in question is almost always FAB. So bring on the so-called "gaudy" rings that are full of bling! I love 'em. Would love to own them!

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I really believe it is a preference...I thought I would love a halo. However, after putting my diamond in one, I decided it just was not for me. I still love them, think they are beautiful, unique etc. but I just didn''t like it for me. To add bling, my husband-to- be just put my diamond in a platinum two trapezoid diamond setting. This setting not only works for me, but makes the ring that much yummier :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 6:42:36 PM
CehraBehra, I totally agree. I dislike the word ''gaudy.'' What''s gaudy to one is FABULOUS to another.

ETA: A funny thing! Whenever I hear women whisper that someone''s ring is gaudy, the ring in question is almost always FAB. So bring on the so-called ''gaudy'' rings that are full of bling! I love ''em. Would love to own them!
LOL I''m sure some will think my ring is gaudy - heck even I think it''s a bit over the top LOL It''ll look GREAT! with my paint stained sweat pants!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 3:16:11 PM

I think of it as butter on steak. Enhances the flavor, brings out the wonderful texture...
I''ve never had butter on steak - have to try that lol.... so.... what is the "halo" equivalent for cornish game hens? I''m really bummed that''s on the menu instead of surf and turf LMAO!!!!!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

"I'm sorry...though they seem to be kinda popular here...

aren't they sort of like putting ketchup on a good piece of steak?

Ira Z."

I can see it on a Heinz Ketchup label now: Goes Great With Diamonds

Could be, in some cases. In other cases, that ketchup can save the steak. I've observed that very few people concern themselves with how the setting and the diamond interact, because they are not trained to look at it as a pairing. They pick an ideal or premium cut then drop it into whatever style of setting most appeals to them, or the most fashionable setting of the day. In a perfect world, one would observe the stone and then choose a setting to either accentuate the positives or reduce the negatives, or possibly deliberately steer attention away from a deficient cut. Or conversely, one would first choose a setting and then seek a diamond whose parameters would make it an ideal choice for that setting. But probably even engineers don't want to go There, unless they just have a lot of free time.
2.gif

Several years ago, before "vintage" was hot, I bought an OEC diamond that had been reset in a streamlined '40s/'50s low-mount fishtail head with knife edge band. That was high style back in the day. Poor OEC looked like a barker, and probably had for the entire 45 years it lived there. It's broad facets reflected the darked platinum interior of the head. So, it looked like a I2 diamond full of black inclusions. At best, it would have had silver inclusions when that setting was brand new. It's now a blazing I/VS fireball in a hexagonal pave halo setting. So watch what you say about halos, Bub. Everyone says "Where did you get that gorgeous ring!" So pass me the ketchup, please.
9.gif

Some halos look like a frothy confection to me and I want to say "Get that junk off there!" The one halo look that is going more and more against my grain the more I see it, is round stones in halos surrounding step cuts like Asscher or emerald. The more I appreciate the step cut stones, the more I like them plain or with side baguettes or traps. In other words, I like a geometric setting for any step cut. It can be a halo if it's baguette halo. Someone here has a to-die-for stepped metal halo around an Asscher. It's a clean look that I have not seen anywhere else.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2006 8:06:25 PM
Author: AdaBeta27

''I''m sorry...though they seem to be kinda popular here...

Ira Z.''

I can see it on a Heinz Ketchup label now: Goes Great With Diamonds

Could be, in some cases. In other cases, that ketchup can save the steak. I''ve observed that very few people concern themselves with how the setting and the diamond interact, because they are not trained to look at it as a pairing. They pick an ideal or premium cut then drop it into whatever style of setting most appeals to them, or the most fashionable setting of the day. In a perfect world, one would observe the stone and then choose a setting to either accentuate the positives or reduce the negatives, or possibly deliberately steer attention away from a deficient cut. Or conversely, one would first choose a setting and then seek a diamond whose parameters would make it an ideal choice for that setting. But probably even engineers don''t want to go There, unless they just have a lot of free time.
2.gif

Several years ago, before ''vintage'' was hot, I bought an OEC diamond that had been reset in a streamlined ''40s/''50s low-mount fishtail head with knife edge band. That was high style back in the day. Poor OEC looked like a barker, and probably had for the entire 45 years it lived there. It''s broad facets reflected the darked platinum interior of the head. So, it looked like a I2 diamond full of black inclusions. At best, it would have had silver inclusions when that setting was brand new. It''s now a blazing I/VS fireball in a hexagonal pave halo setting. So watch what you say about halos, Bub. Everyone says ''Where did you get that gorgeous ring!'' So pass me the ketchup, please.
9.gif

Some halos look like a frothy confection to me and I want to say ''Get that junk off there!'' The one halo look that is going more and more against my grain the more I see it, is round stones in halos surrounding step cuts like Asscher or emerald. The more I appreciate the step cut stones, the more I like them plain or with side baguettes or traps. In other words, I like a geometric setting for any step cut. It can be a halo if it''s baguette halo. Someone here has a to-die-for stepped metal halo around an Asscher. It''s a clean look that I have not seen anywhere else.
I think I know the stone you''re talking about and I agree - it''s a bezel/halo that is metal but with some variance in the rim detail modern and sleek! I''d love to see your stone... I''ll have to see if you''ve posted it!

I looked at settings and loved them and even liked them ON me - but when it came time to put my stone on them they were HORRIBLE in my eyes. Balance and symmetry are important to me and it became obvious pretty quick that I needed something with three zones in the band the way my stone has three zones... that by accentuating that, it actually enhanced the stone and made everything belong. and the center zone where the biggest facets are had to be something very understated so as not to compete with those facets OR overwhelm them. i THINK oop a halo would have looked downright horrible on my stone...

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Gosh, that''s what I love about all the settings to choose from out there. There truly is something for everyone. I personally love halos when they are done well. Oh, well. One person''s FIC is another person''s BIC is another person''s TIC. Just as diamonds are and should be to your own personal taste, so should the setting be.

shay

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I see it as more of the garnish around my yummy steak!!

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock

Someone here has a to-die-for stepped metal halo around an Asscher. It''s a clean look that I have not seen anywhere else.

that is Lauren the Partier''s ascher metal halo, it is great!!!

I personally do like a halo. I have recently done one for a right hand ring with an oval pink topaz and split shanks.. I love it. I think it is gorgeous, especially around a colored stone (yum)!!!

Someday, if I ever get another diamond, I would get a pear and halo it with a think shank. Maybe it is a ''fad'' right now, but I don''t generally buy in to trends, I am more of a ''classics'' girl. To me it is actually alomst a intage look like an old cocktail ring!!

To me, a little more bling is never a bad thing!

(And I love steak with bullseye steak sauce yummmmmmm)

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2006 11:06:54 AM
Author: Sophie
Someday, if I ever get another diamond, I would get a pear and halo it with a think shank. Maybe it is a ''fad'' right now, but I don''t generally buy in to trends, I am more of a ''classics'' girl. To me it is actually alomst a intage look like an old cocktail ring!!

To me, a little more bling is never a bad thing!

(And I love steak with bullseye steak sauce yummmmmmm)
Ahhhh, you''re just singin my song, aintcha?! Most people who have seen my ring actually think it is a vintage ring, which just tickles me cuz that''s the look I was going for.

mtrb

Shiny_Rock
Some of the best filet mignon I have had comes with a brandied mushroom or Merlot sauce... mmmnnn.
I have never eaten filet mignon without a sauce of some kind, however I eat prime rib as is. So I guess it depends on the cut.
41.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results