shape
carat
color
clarity

halo vs. solitaire, WWPSD?

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
So, after buying my eternity last year I've noticed I don't wear my solitaire (1.543ACA/I/VS2) much at all. I'm leaning toward resetting my diamond into a VC split shank halo (the Donna). I can't decide if I want a more ornate setting or a larger solitaire. So, what would YOU do?

Oh--and as a sidenote--I know ya'll will love this--I went to Jared to try on halos and a patron actually asked to try on my eternity while she was looking at settings. You know you're a PSer when...

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would buy two .75ct diamonds and make a massive three stone :naughty: TRUST me, it is so much more blingy and better presence than a halo or a larger solitaire!

Here is a comparison of a 7.6mm solitaire and a three stone with diamond about the proportion I mentioned (smaller center, 7mm).

solitaire3stonecompare.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup if you're looking for finger coverage, 3 stone or a halo or a 3 stone halo!! :naughty:

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
@Dreamer: I've thought about a three stone but my mom and sister both have one. I thought the halo would be a nice way to dress my diamond up. My other option would be to get a larger stone (I like the look of a 2.3-2.5) but I really don't think I would be comfortable wearing that much money on my finger. KWIM?
@Mara: If I continue on Pricescope, I'm sure I will one day be comfortable sporting a triple halo. Just not sure I'm there YET. ;))

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I'd totally go for the three stone. But I completely understand your reluctance if your mom and sister are both wearing one. What about a 5 stone?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would choose finger coverage vs halo or solitaire and go for a 3 stone. Using your gorgeous 1.54 ct as a centre stone - that would be an AMAZING 3 stone.... yummy - maybe .80's on either side??? WOW!
But that's just me and a my good friend DSS, talking thru our hats!

I love my good friend diamond shrinkage syndrome - he's always with me.... :Up_to_something:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm having a similar dilemma, want to reset my solitaire (about the same size as yours) and keep vacillating between a 3-stone and halo. Thought I was set on a 3- stone but having tried on a bunch, just not sure I like the look. After having a very minimalist solitaire, I'm definitely craving a more ornate setting, not a larger stone so currently I'm leaning toward a halo. What did you think when you tried the halos on?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hmr_mama|1338257718|3205278 said:
So, after buying my eternity last year I've noticed I don't wear my solitaire (1.543ACA/I/VS2) much at all. I'm leaning toward resetting my diamond into a VC split shank halo (the Donna). I can't decide if I want a more ornate setting or a larger solitaire. So, what would YOU do?

I would go for a halo! When I had my 6.2mm diamond in a halo, it looked HUGE and satisfied my DSS. I think a smaller stone in a halo often looks blingier than a bigger stone in a plain solitaire. Plus, with diamond prices being so high now, you will get more bang for your buck with a halo than you would if you were to buy a new stone.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1338259327|3205288 said:
I would buy two .75ct diamonds and make a massive three stone :naughty: TRUST me, it is so much more blingy and better presence than a halo or a larger solitaire!

Here is a comparison of a 7.6mm solitaire and a three stone with diamond about the proportion I mentioned (smaller center, 7mm).

Nice pic! That really shows the difference.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results