shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo Regret?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Hello dear Halo owners!

OK, so I'm going from a simple solitaire to a halo. But more and more I am hearing my FAVORITE halo owners & blingy setting owners expressing a desire to return to the simple solitaire look. And I also hear more solitaire owners expressing a desire for a halo.

How do we win?
31.gif
I love both! But is regret inevitable once you get a blingier setting?

Or do we just want it all?

Please be honest! I'm about to embark on a reset and I don't want to custom make a setting only to go back to a simple solitaire setting in 6 months! LOL. FI would think I was nuts. (Too late!) LOL.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
We can''t win. I bought a new Jubilee cut diamond and wanted a new wedding set for it. I had my heart SET on a halo style, only to end up with a Tacori 3-stone with trilliants on each side and baguette bands (after looking for 4 months). The diamond is in the ring, but I still won''t be satisfied until I get my halo. So, I have purchased another smaller round diamond to have set into a halo style right hand ring. That way, I get the best of both worlds. We won''t be able to eat for the next year, but at least I will have the rings I want! Sorry, I''m no help at all!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you know, I never really wanted a halo setting but when I found my ring I just loved it and it does have a halo. I''ve only had it a couple of weeks so not really long enough to regreat it. I really love everything about it, but I can see how someone would miss the look of a simple solitaire. I even noticed a lady yesterday who had a beautiful round solitaire with 2 or 3 stacked bands behind it and it looked so beautiful. diamondseeker and I are always saying how we need more than one wedding set. I will say I do miss the ability to wear my ring 24/7. with my original set it was a plain solitaire and plain band. I never worried about it at all and wore it all the time. Now that I have a pave ring, I much more careful and don''t wear it much of the time.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Yes! Thanks to my acme prongs, the sturdiest most indestructibe structures on planet Earth -- I can bang them around and I wear them everywhere. With the halo, I will have to mind them.

But on the other hand, we will get to ooooh and aahhhhh over them more!

mrssalvo -- I can't wait to see your set! It sounds LOVELY! I often wonder if I will miss the solitaire as well. But part of me feels like a delicate halo is the best of both worlds. You get the solitaire look with a blingier backdrop. From far away, it looks like a huge solitaire on a shiny band.

NeverEndingUpgrade, I am like you. I just got the halo bug when I saw Pricescope. Before, I always thought they were too blingy and perhaps a garnish that the center diamond didn't need. Boy, was I wrong! Now, I'm in love. Once I tried one on, it was impossible to resist. Even FI was wowed. Up to the moment they were taking it out of the case, he was protesting my trying it on. He had his eyebrows raised saying, "Uhhhh, are you SURE you want to see that???" But the moment it was on my finger, he couldn't stop saying how much he loved it. He was like, "It looks SO good on your hand!"

In the case, it looks like a button ring. But on the finger, MAAAGIC!

ValGirl

Rough_Rock
I have seen so many halo designs within the last few months to see the trend that most of the halo designs have average one and a half carat or smaller centers. I see that the larger centers are mostly set in a solitaire designs. I could be wrong but it seems like the halo look somewhat enhances the size of a smaller diamond to look larger than it is on the finger.

Before I wanted to get a halo design but now I would like my center diamond to be almost free standing on the center of the ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 2:46:07 PM
Author: Bliss

mrssalvo -- I can''t wait to see your set! It sounds LOVELY! I often wonder if I will miss the solitaire as well. But part of me feels like a delicate halo is the best of both worlds. You get the solitaire look with a blingier backdrop. From far away, it looks like a huge solitaire on a shiny band.

bliss, there are pics of ny ring in this thread...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-things-come-to-those-who-wait-my-daniel-k-is-here.86927/

Is your center stone a round?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
mrsssalvo!!! Be still my beating heart! Wow, that is EXACTLY the design I am hoping for! It looks like the legacy setting, which in my mind is timeless and simple. It is possible for a halo to have a clean and simple design, isn''t it? I mean, look at yours!

I think we''ll be ring twins, but my center is a round. I can''t believe you sometimes long for a solitaire? That baby is SIGNIFICANT...and delicate at the same time. Wow, it''s pure class. LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I have never for one minute regretted my halo. It is one of the most comfortable rings I have ever owned, and it is always beautiful, and I still get many, many compliments on it.

That said, I admire many of the solitaire settings that I see here. They are beautiful, but I don''t think I could change now.

shay

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
ValGirl, you''re right. In the past, we saw more halos on diamonds 1.5 and under. But now, more and more I am seeing halos on bigger stones. I just walk into the diamond district and I am seeing 7+ carat stones halo''d. It''s almost the norm!

The halos on large stones are very very delicate. I even saw a DeBeers 5 carat round with a halo so tiny you could hardly see it. GORGEOUS.

So I used to think halos weren''t right for my stone, which is nowhere near the huge rocks -- but now I think 2+ is a great range for very small delicate halos. I''m dying to see what my stone looks like in one!

I can''t wait! I really hope I don''t wind up missing the solitaire look. But the good thing about that is, it''s easy to change. There are great solitaire settings you can buy already made like the Vatche or Superbcert ones. WhiteFlash also has great ones. So it wouldn''t cost too much or take too much time to pop it back into another setting. The only worry would be chipping during setting, right?

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Shay77 -- rock on! I hope I feel just like you after I get my halo! But ya never know!!!

Too bad we can''t just pop ''em in and out of setting like you can with stud jackets? Why can''t they have a halo jacket for e-rings?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 2:56:32 PM
mrsssalvo!!! Be still my beating heart! Wow, that is EXACTLY the design I am hoping for! It looks like the legacy setting, which in my mind is timeless and simple. It is possible for a halo to have a clean and simple design, isn''t it? I mean, look at yours!

I think we''ll be ring twins, but my center is a round. I can''t believe you sometimes long for a solitaire? That baby is SIGNIFICANT...and delicate at the same time. Wow, it''s pure class. LOVELY!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks bliss. I actually don''t long for a solitaire at all, at least yet. I had one for 6 years of marriage and I miss the simple nature but don''t miss it. plus, I still have my original set so if I ever would miss it, i''d put it back on
9.gif
If I could have a second ring, it would be some type of 3 stone, probably with side sapphires. I think many times with rings, the grass is always greener and hanging out here seeing all the gorgeous new bling doesn''t help.

My husband actual wanted me to upgrade into another solitaire setting or even pave, but no halo until we went to tiffany''s and he saw the legacy. he really liked the design so when the daniel k''s showed up at pearlmans I asked to take a look at the Empress. My husband loved it and obviously so did I.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 3:01:54 PM
Shay77 -- rock on! I hope I feel just like you after I get my halo! But ya never know!!!

Too bad we can''t just pop ''em in and out of setting like you can with stud jackets? Why can''t they have a halo jacket for e-rings?
I hear ya. That would be the best of all possible worlds. Something like an enhancer to wear around the main stone for the days when you feel like a halo. Kewl.

shay

mom2twogirls

Shiny_Rock
I recently went from a 6-prong Tiffany-like knife edge setting (after 9 years of wearing and loving it) to a halo. Granted, it''s only been about 4 weeks, but I love it so much! My stone is much smaller than yours (1.34) and I love the subtle way the halo enhances it. I imagine in another 5 years, I''ll be ready for something else, but for now, I''m in love with my halo!
2.gif
Can''t wait to see what you decide to go with!!!!

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
mom2twogirls - your halo is INCREDIBLE. Tacori? I remember drooling over it! OMG, this is so funny. We''re like guys discussing pinup girls. "Yes, Heather from Maxim? I remember. Pink bikini, May 2006, right?" Instead, we''re like: "Tacori halo, right? I remember drooling over that in Show Me The Ring thread!"

I am so glad!!!! I love your setting! Well, I suppose one day we will change our settings again. Maybe!
28.gif

mom2twogirls

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 3:21:23 PM
mom2twogirls - your halo is INCREDIBLE. Tacori? I remember drooling over it! OMG, this is so funny. We''re like guys discussing pinup girls. ''Yes, Heather from Maxim? I remember. Pink bikini, May 2006, right?'' Instead, we''re like: ''Tacori halo, right? I remember drooling over that in Show Me The Ring thread!''

I am so glad!!!! I love your setting! Well, I suppose one day we will change our settings again. Maybe!
28.gif
bwahahahah!!! For you, I''d go, "Oh yeah, stunning, ginormous 2+ RB with acme prongs, right?"
2.gif

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Yeah! "Tacori halo, amazing head & super blingy design. Profile was to die for. Gorgeous rock. Matching w-band!!!!"

Guy talk: "Heather from Maxim, amazing pink bikini top and super skimpy bottom. Her profile was to die for. Gorgeous face. Matching sarong!" Wait.. guys don''t know what the heck a sarong is. And if they did, they wouldn''t be reading Maxim!

DMBsGirl

Brilliant_Rock
i love my halo. it enhances my stone perfectly, both its size and shape. Although halos are very popular in the PS world, I only know one other girl IRL who has one, so i like that it makes my ring unique.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Well of course, mrssalvo''s halo is the be all and end all of halos!! I was at a store several weeks ago where I tried on a Richard Landi halo ring set with a CZ the equivalent of a 2 ct. diamond and I was surprised that it didn''t feel gaudy at all. Of course, I ruled that one out because I don''t see myself ever affording a 2 ct. diamond!

I did go back to the store today for a Richard Landi show and I took a .63 ct. round that I bought from GOG and I left it to be set in this ring. I want to get the matching pendant next. I like it because it looks like a RHR and not too engagement-y. So no more jewelry for me for a while!

RichardLandi_ldr235.jpg

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
NeverEndingUpgrade, that is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I can''t wait to see pictures. Wow. What a substantial yet delicate ring. Just incredible. I think it is very substantial and you won''t need any new bling for a VERY long time, if ever! Congrats! You must be over the moon!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love my halo. I wouldn''t trade it for a solitare again. It''s higher upkeep sure, but I love the way it enhances my asscher. As long as I have a 6 x 6 asscher... it''s a halo for me.

Now, if I were to get something else (larger), I may not halo I do love solitares and three stones and with a different center, I''d totally be game.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my halo and while I still love the versatility of a solitaire, I don''t think I would ever go back.
41.gif

angeline

Ideal_Rock
bliss, you''ve seen my thoughts on peonygirls thread... I just wanted to mention that I tried on a 4ct with halo the other day and I thought it looked tres fab! Not gaudy at all, to my surprise.

I don''t think halos are just to make smaller stones look larger (not saying that''s what people are necessarily doing, don''t want to offend anyone) but sometimes that is the perception people have. I think they are decorative and beautiful in their own right, on any size stone, and if you tried it on and it screamed at you, then go for it! I never fell madly in love with the halo''s I tried on, I think I just wanted maximum sparkle.

I look forward to following your decisions!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting question.

To be honest with you, I've always thought that you're either a halo person or a solitaire person. I haven't regretted my halo for even one second, since I've had it (for a year). I've never wanted a solitaire, I've never really wanted a three-stone. Before seeing my current setting, I'd never even heard of halos before...and in all honesty I had no idea what I'd even want for my engagement ring. So when I saw the blingy (but not too blingy) halo, I was immediately in love! Since then I have seen some halos that I don't so much love, but I think it's the same with everything...you find what you like and you go with it.

Not to mention, almost everywhere I go, SOMEbody compliments me on my ring. It's unavoidable...it's gotten to be quite the inside joke between FI and I.

With that said, my diamond is on the smaller end (for PS standards). If I were to receive a much larger diamond, 2.5-3ct., I may consider a different setting. Maybe pave band or something.

NeverEndingUpgrade

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 6:57:25 PM
NeverEndingUpgrade, that is GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I can''t wait to see pictures. Wow. What a substantial yet delicate ring. Just incredible. I think it is very substantial and you won''t need any new bling for a VERY long time, if ever! Congrats! You must be over the moon!
Thanks! I can''t wait to see the ring custom made for my stone. Yes, the Richard Landi settings are just what you said above. The ring I picked out comes from his Antique Reproductions collection and the engraving is amazing. The photo does not do justice to the intricacy of the work on the band part (partially because the photo is so darn big!) Also with it being in platinum, the color of the metal is so delicate. It really takes on light and shadows and accents the engraving.

I would encourage you to look at some Richard Landi rings if you are considering a halo style. I had always liked his rings in photos, but I was totaly blown away by them in real life! Here''s a link: http://www.richardlandi.com/index.html

The website has some missing graphics, but the dealer locater link is right above the About Us link. You won''t see it until you rollover it. I meant to talk to him about that when I saw him, but I was too busy tring on rings! LOL Here''s another link, not sure why he has 2 sites: http://www.richardlandirings.com/newrings.html

Other designers that I considered for a halo are KirkKara, and MartinFlyer. Happy shopping!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to love halos and wanted one for an e-ring, but then I went and tried them on and they just weren''t my thing. However, if you have looked at them in person and with a larger center stone, then I don''t think you''ll regret it. I would definitely keep the halo very thin and decliate though. It''s surprising how much just a halo can make a stone look *huge* if they aren''t delicate enough.

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I had my halo for exactly one weekend. I had my heart set on a halo. I had picked out a Hearts on Fire halo and visited it nearly once a week for a good two months. I was absolutely positive that it was the setting for me. I finally purchased my stone through WF and then went to the jewelry store the day I received the stone to purchase my halo. I even ordered the matching band to be made while I was at it. They couldn''t set my stone right away, but let me take the setting with me to bring it back closer to the date they could set it. I spent the entire weekend staring at my stone in the halo setting and decided that a halo wasn''t for me. It was absolutely beautiful, but not what I wanted for my e-ring. The jeweler was kind enough to let me return the setting and cancel the w-band. I had tried that setting on so many times (when they saw me come in the store, they pulled it out without me asking!) but it wasn''t until I put my own stone in it that I decided against it. Although when I see it on the HOF website, I get these crazy ideas . . .

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
I always wanted a solitaire. I ended up with a sidestone ring (sort of...kind of unique, my ring is) with a round, while I always wanted a princess cut.

Once I learned more about diamonds and how they looked on my finger, I wanted a halo emerald cut. Tastes can change, especially once you get on a website like this and learn more.

I tried on an emerald halo setting yesterday with a matching wedding band...super daint and tiny, though it will hold a stone the same carat size as mine so my husband said we should wait for one that will hold a bigger stone. I keep thinking about it though...it is definitly the style I want. Someday :)

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been trying to like the triple halo that came with my 3.55 ct OEC, but even after trying to live with it for a few months I don''t, really.

That being said, I do believe it''ll eventually end up with a much more subtle width of halo around it, like the width of CrookedRock''s Leon halo probably, in an octagonal or cushion shape rather than round. So it isn''t the idea of the halo, even on a larger rock, that I don''t like- it''s this specific setting. The profile is uggggggly and I''m ultra picky about profile views, and I don''t like round halos on my finger. And I don''t like the three halo look either.

I would actually love my larger stone in a non-halo (but still pave covered) setting, but I am too klutzy with it. It needs some metal for protection from my flailing.

I think if you really love your setting initially, it doesn''t wear off. But if you try to grow to like it, maybe not! I am definitely someone who is always looking at other people''s settings and wishing, though. (I must admit I have a HUGE selection of really, really well made "play" rings I wear regularly on my right hand, because I adore so many different looks... antique cushion cuts, old mine cuts, asschers, H&A round brilliants- I have all of those and more
20.gif
, in a large variety of settings, because I covet so many different looks; its the only way I can settle down and love my two diamonds. And not spend, like, every penny I own on jewelry.)

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 2:18:45 PM
Author:Bliss
Hello dear Halo owners!

OK, so I''m going from a simple solitaire to a halo. But more and more I am hearing my FAVORITE halo owners & blingy setting owners expressing a desire to return to the simple solitaire look. And I also hear more solitaire owners expressing a desire for a halo.

How do we win?
31.gif
I love both! But is regret inevitable once you get a blingier setting?

Or do we just want it all?

Please be honest! I''m about to embark on a reset and I don''t want to custom make a setting only to go back to a simple solitaire setting in 6 months! LOL. FI would think I was nuts. (Too late!) LOL.

This is such a great topic!! I have a solitaire ering and a halo as my RHR. I gave some serious thought to upgrading the solitaire to a halo ring or adding a halo around it once the diamond was re-cut. But, I decided to stick with the solitaire. I love my halo RHR though. I like the way it looks with the two different styles on each hand. They are both set in platinum. The truth is that whatever you decide you will love. They are both great looks. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results