shape
carat
color
clarity

Guess who''s designing my setting...I''m so excited!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
None other than Mark Morrell!!!!! I am ecstatic!!!

After I posted this poll, asking for help in choosing a setting: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/help-which-setting-im-going-to-get-this-right-yet.33358/=, I came to the conclusion that I would be happy with any of the options. My boyfriend and I talked it over, and we decided to leave the setting choice up to him.

Then, I did some research on platinum alloys (around the time that I posted that poll, there were a couple of threads on the subject). I learned that Vatche (who designed two out of three of my options) uses 95% Platinum and 5% Iridium, which doesn''t necessarily age very gracefully.
7.gif
So, I let my boyfriend know (I had a feeling that he was going to choose one of the Vatche settings). Then, I did some more research, and it seemed like the general consensus was that the PT950/5% Ruthenium mix and the PT900/10% Iridium mix hold up the best. My boyfriend and I decided that our best option was to have my ring custom made using one of those alloys.

I have always LOVED Mark Morrell''s designs.
30.gif
They are so fluid and elegant, and he pays great attention to detail. The best description that I have heard here on Pricescope is that his work looks like liquid platinum. The level of polish he achieves is extraordinary! Knowing that he uses the PT900/10% Iridium mix, I mentioned him to my boyfriend. I showed him Mark''s website, and he loved his work too!!! Yay!!!
36.gif

So, my boyfriend called and spoke with him on the phone about a week and a half ago. He was very impressed with Mark, and decided that we would use him right then! I am on cloud nine! I just finished writing up and gathering pictures of exactly what I want last night. All of the info is being sent, along with the check tomorrow!!! My boyfriend keeps saying, "Mark Morrell," on occasion randomly out of nowhere, and I can''t help but get a silly grin on my face (he says he keeps doing it because it''s "cute").

I just thought I''d update everyone as far as what''s going on, as you''ve all been so helpful! (I''m going to need your help again with one aspect of the design, which I''ll post later!)
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kerbear,
OMG you must be soooo excited!!! I love his designs you lucky lucky girl!!! Can't wait to see which one you pick, yay for you!!!
36.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!! You lucky girl. OMG, you just have to keep us in the loop on this one. (I got so excited that I could barely type this reply) Congrats.

shay

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
How awesome...can''t wait to see it!! Mark normally seems to have a waiting list of a few months before he can get to a project, did he say when yours would be done??

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, you couldn''t do any better than a Mark Morrell. congrats. Can''t wait to see how the project unfolds..what timetable did he give you?

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Ack!!! How exciting!!! Mark Morrell is my favorite! I''ve never seen anything in person so I can only go by pictures, but everything I''ve seen is fantastic. You lucky dog!!! I''m so jelly!

I can''t wait for progress reports and ultimately, the pictures! We will all be living vicariously through you!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was curious when did he say he will start on your ring??? Did he give you a time frame??? I know he can get pretty backed up. Oh this is sooo great.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
tapping foot impatiently awaiting photos!

congratulations!

peace, movie zombie

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I will definitely keep you updated on my ring''s progress once he gets started!

Mara, mrssalvo and kaleigh: When my boyfriend spoke to Mark he said that if we got him the info he needs and the check within the next couple of weeks, that he could get my ring done before Christmas (I was expecting to go on a waiting list too, I was shocked)!!! But, with all of the flooding in Massachusetts lately (his workshop was closed for a bit about 10 days ago right after my boyfriend spoke with him, and his website says he is closed again until further notice due to flooding from the remnants of hurricane Wilma), I''m guessing he may be a little backed up (I hope everyone is ok, and there''s no damage to his workshop). So, it may take a little longer than his initial estimate, but it will be soooo worth the wait!
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree definitely worth the wait...if he can manage to get it done before Christmas, wow what and incredible Christmas present
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
YUM!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, willl now quit tapping foot and try and be patient for pictures...ah, that will be your christmas present to pricescopers! pictures of your set!

peace, movie zombie

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Before Christmas? Oh dear, Oh my, Oh, Oh, (shay is no longer coherent) Drooling just thinking about a new MM for us to look at. Darn that Pavlov.

shay

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 4:09:21 PM
Author: Shay37
Before Christmas? Oh dear, Oh my, Oh, Oh, (shay is no longer coherent) Drooling just thinking about a new MM for us to look at. Darn that Pavlov.

shay
Shay, you''re too funny!!!
9.gif

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
WOW!!! Congratulations!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I''m already counting down until we can see pics of the ring!! hehe
31.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Christmas! That is almost no time! Wow I had the impression from PSers that the wait would be months and months. Oh Congrats! Will you post the info (pics) you sent to MM. I am dying to know what you are going to get. This is so exciting!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
with all of the flooding in Massachusetts
-------------------------------------------------------------------
We sure did get alot of rain with 60 m.p.h. winds here in the metro Boston area...but
nothing like our friends in Florida. It was a 24 hour storm. I stopped by to see Mark today and
all is well. Thought you''d like to know.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/26/2005 6:37:21 PM
Author: Matatora
Christmas! That is almost no time! Wow I had the impression from PSers that the wait would be months and months. Oh Congrats! Will you post the info (pics) you sent to MM. I am dying to know what you are going to get. This is so exciting!
Your wish is my command Matatora
2.gif

Most of the pics are of fellow PSer''s rings (hopefully no one will mind).

Basically, the design I have in mind is similar to the Vatche X-Prong, with some tweaking. These are pics I am sending Mark of a ring he did for Candide. I love the prongs on the center stone. I like how the diamond is low-set, and how the prongs are very fluid-looking and swoop around the diamond. The “swoopier” the better! If possible, I would like the prongs to be a little thinner (if it’s safe durability wise).

xswoop.JPG

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Next, is a picture of radiantlover''s ring. I like how there is a fluid, seamless transition from the band to where the prongs begin. I want the band to be as wide as the space between the prongs, like this setting. I also love how the band is very rounded (more so than the Vatche).

rdnt1.JPG

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
I want the shank to swoop in towards the diamond more so than the Vatche. Here are some examples of "swoop" that I am sending to Mark. They are of KBerly''s MM, the photoshoped Cartier, Kayla17''s old Vatche Royal Crown, and a great pic of Whiteflash''s W-Prong (I forget which PSer''s ring it is, sorry
7.gif
).

swoopy.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
You have fabulous taste!
30.gif

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Side stones or no side stones, that is the question...

At this point I am undecided as to whether I want side stones or not. I want the ring to look as fluid and rounded as possible, and I’m afraid that although I love the look of side stones, the ring might loose some of its fluidity if we add them. As far as type of side stones, if we add them, I like channel set rounds and I also like the look of the bead set rounds used in some of the work posted on Mark Morrell's website. The side stones would only go halfway down the shank, and would not taper.

As far as a wedding band, if we go with an engagement ring with side stones, we would probably have a wedding band custom made to match (diamonds the same size, but ring width smaller). Preferably they would sit flush, but a very small gap doesn’t bother me. If we go with a plain platinum setting, I would get a very thin micropave wedding band to achieve this look:

xpave.JPG

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock

Or, what about using bead set round side stones and pairing it with a micropave wedding band?

I guess we need to take into account my small finger size (4), and how much room the two rings will take up together on it (there is about 10 – 11 mm of space available on my ring finger). The micropave wedding band would definitely take up less space than a custom matching band.

Also, I love the look of Mark's plain platinum work, but I’m concerned about the ring (over time) losing that amazing level of polish that he achieves. With side stones, there is less exposed metal (i.e. less scratched platinum to drive me crazy!). So, as far as what to do about side stones, I would appreciate any opinions!!!

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
So, that''s pretty much it (in a condensed version). There''s actually 7 pages of pictures/info that we''re sending to Mark (I know, probably overkill
31.gif
). We also let him know that we would be more than happy to hear any input he has as far as my ideas (how he thinks the finished product will look, suggestions for improvement, changes, etc.) I would also like to hear feedback from all of you, as this design is not set in stone yet!

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Matatora!
1.gif

Any suggestions as far as what to do about side stones? I''m driving myself crazy trying to decide!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I dunno, I am leaning towards a solitaire, or very simple clean lines. I would be intreasted to see what MM says, I have not seen alot of stones in his shanks. I do not know who he does it.

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Here is a picture of mrs jam''s ring designed by MM. It has bead set round side stones (I love them)! I LOVE this setting (it''s one of my favorites), but you wouldn''t be able to wear a wedding band without a huge gap due to the low basket.
7.gif
The side stones in my setting (if I use them) wouldn''t taper in size like they do in mrs Jam''s ring; they would all be the same size.

Mrsjam1.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2005 12:47:13 AM
Author: Kerbear560

At this point I am undecided as to whether I want side stones or not. I want the ring to look as fluid and rounded as possible, and I’m afraid that although I love the look of side stones, the ring might loose some of its fluidity if we add them.

A splash of pave may break that smooth surface, but how about THIS WAY of attaching sidestones? It needn't be baguettes or triangles either. These just happened to be there.

These are by Michael Bondanza at Pearlman's

05DD13.jpg
15DD13.jpg

Compared with a simple version...

01DD13.jpg

They seem pretty close to your plans - except for the cross-wire prongs.
2.gif

Kerbear560

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Valeria! Those settings have side stones, but they don''t lose their fluidity! If he could do that with a single row of rounds, that would be great (wouldn''t that be channel set?). I like channel set, but I''m not sure I like the space between the stones. Though, in the first pic you posted it looks like rounds were used, and there''s no spaces!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results