shape
carat
color
clarity

Guess they thought I was a schmo, but I am a Pricescoper!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hi I''ve lurked for some time now...the whole science of diamonds is interesting to me. So I wanted to thank you for the knowledge, because it helped me the other day at a higher end B&M store.

I had initially walked into the store to see if I could get my watch size adjusted. A couple of years ago I lost some weight and the watch became loose enough to spin around on my wrists. I went up to the watch area and asked a lady nicely if there was anyone who could adjust my watch today. (I was willing to pay for it).

She just looked at me and didn''t answer yes or no. The first thing she said was "What kind of watch is that?" I showed her it was a Baume & Mercier. The brand name was printed on their awnings outside the store which was why I came in. I realize it wasn''t a Rolex, but I didn''t think it should matter. She looked at me and said it was Saturday, it was busy, and if I could come back another time, someone could help me. The watch technician wasn''t in that day, she said.

I totally understand that Satudays are busiest, but I looked around the store. The sales reps were just sitting around, and there were maybe only 3 customers in the store (versus at least 10 sales people). She was twiddling her thumbs when I approached her. But I wasn''t going to argue...maybe the sales people were busy with projects. Who knew.

Then I went to the display with the diamonds. One by one, the sales people walked by me. No one even acknowledged my presence. They didn''t even look my way! I just had a couple of simple questions on what they could do if I were interested in buying a loose diamond from their store. I sat there for 10 minutes and NOTHING. I would have said something, but I was actually curious to see how long it would take for anyone to say hello. I was nicely dressed, didn''t look like riff-raff, so I thought at least a hello was in order even if all the sales reps were busy with projects (although they seemed to be busy chatting amongst themselves!) Finally a young man who had walked by two times prior walked by the counter again and bent down to do something. I caught his eye so he looked up and asked "Have you been helped?"

I firmly told him, no, I was not being helped. In fact, I had been standing at that counter for 10 minutes while at least 7 sales reps walked by, totally ignoring me. I told him that for a store of this caliber, I found that unacceptable. He was nice, apologized and asked what I was looking for. I was honest and told him I wasn''t going to buy today, but was doing a bit of research (I remember reading on Pricescope that jewelers appreciate that bit of honesty), and didn''t want to take too much of his time. I told him what I was looking for.

He showed me a radiant that and said it was the most brilliant square fancy on the market. I said "Really? I have heard that many are known for leaking light?" We got into a discussion about diamonds, and based on the knowledge here, it became apparent that I knew what I was talking about. In fact, when I asked questions, he had no idea what the answers were. He did say "you seem to know your stuff" and wanted to show me more diamonds. Even though I don''t think I know all that much, I guess what I gleaned from PS was enough to give me some credibility.

I thanked him and said I would take up no more of his time today, since they were busy (and I use that word loosely!). I mentioned that I had initially just come in to get my watched sized but was told no one could help me today. He looked surprised and said, "Oh, I can do that for you. That''s easy...no problem." He couldn''t help me fast enough...my watched was sized in less than 2 minutes, for free. Mind you this gentlemen was not from the watch section and HE knew how to do it. You''d think someone in the watch section could have been able to do this too.

So sorry about the long post. Just wanted to thank you here for all the good info you post. It helped me get a little bit of service, and my watch adjusted. I think normally I would have just walked out, but I *knew* that I had done some homework, and there was no reason why I should not be able to get a couple of questions answered. :)

BTW, I think I''d go Internet vendor. At least they can''t judge me by my age or something!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations! I forget who it was who used to have a tag line that I loved, "Knowledge is power, be more powerful." (I think it was from Tradeshop.com)

You have just demonstrated the power of knowledge.

Wink

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry you had such a bad experience.

The treatment of the woman in the watch department seems just a typical experience many of us have had. Just because a person works in a store, doesn't mean they're happy or wanting to be there. She probably is just miserable and is taking her misery out on you in her apathetic way.

I've surmised from many of my B&M experiences that often times employees are hired right off the street w/out ANY background or knowledge so it's not at all surprising that you know more about diamonds that guy. Once I got into an arguement (sort of - lol) with one employee over whether, "sixty points," is a .60 diamond or a .06 diamond.
20.gif
I ended up just giving up and walking out of the store. lol! So, usually I EXPECT them to be uneducated about everything except how to swipe a credit card.

twinkletoes

Shiny_Rock
I would call and comaplain about the previous saleswoman who told you they were too busy to resize your watch.

I can sometimes understand if a sales person doesn''t approach a customer right away if they look like they''re just browsing. But if you were looking at them and making it known through your body language that you were interested in their help... they really should be watching for that signal and hurrying over to assist you.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Baume & Mercier isn''t a bad brand. If you get into watches more, you''ll find that the Rolex isn''t the king of all watch brands either. In fact, it''s known as more of a middle manager''s watch. CEO''s wear stuf like Patek''s and stuff. Since most B&M stores only carry up to Rolex, I don''t think they should be all that snooty to customers since they don''t even carry the impressive brands.

The internet vendors you see mentioned here are good, but don''t discount a B&M store out of hand. Like that one person who finally helped you, there are good sales people. If the store is convenient, if you buy from them, you can usually just pop in and they''ll clean the piece of jewelry for free.

I only dress nice if I had to go to court that day. I also unfortunately look like I''m only 18. So yes, b/c of my appearance, I''m ignored by sales people a lot. However, I have been treated courteously by staff at some high end stores despite my appearance.

All I''m saying is that since you''re still doing research, check out your local B&M''s. You may find one that you love doing business with.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If the store is convenient, if you buy from them, you can usually just pop in and they'll clean the piece of jewelry for free.

I
Don't all jewelry stores clean your pieces for free? Every mall shop I've walking into into cleans my rings without hesitation when I ask.

I'm just wondering as I've read a few comments here about IF you buy from so and so they'll clean for free. . .
33.gif

dobie

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 6:53
6.gif
3 PM
Author: MichelleCarmen
Don''t all jewelry stores clean your pieces for free? Every mall shop I''ve walking into into cleans my rings without hesitation when I ask.

I''m just wondering as I''ve read a few comments here about IF you buy from so and so they''ll clean for free. . .
33.gif
Nope, they usually only clean the jewellery they sold to you. They might even clean other jewellery you had on at the time, but they don''t have to. I''ve never asked any jeweller to clean jewelley in the past. Usually the jeweller will recognise their own goods and offer to clean them while browsing their store.

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
Something like this happened to me on Saturday when I popped into one of the higher priced jewellers. I wanted to ask about their diamond eternity rings and also make some enquiries about a gold watch they had in the window. In fact, I have spent quite a bit of money in this shop but I''m not known there personally.

When I went in there were 4 sales assistants. One was serving two young women with children, the other was serving an older woman with a 12 year old in tow. They and I were all dressed about the same in terms of smartness. The other two were behind the counter and looked busy doing paperwork.

I wandered around a little looking in the display cases then one of the assistants who was serving the older woman said please sit down and someone will to serve you in a moment. The two women left without buying anything and that sales assistant disappeared up some stairs. The other two assistants had also disappeared up the stairs at some point.

I sat and waited. The last customer left without buying anything either and that assistant disappeared behind the very tall counter.

Any minute now I thought and someone will come and help me. Wrong. Ten minutes later and I walked out because I''d arranged to meet dh and the kids and couldn''t wait any longer. I met up with them and we went back to the store. I was curious to see if I''d get any better treatment with my dh in tow.

Yep - they were falling over themsleves to help me. Having a man with you really does help to get the salespeople motivated. I just wonder how much business they lose by ignoring women with money of their own to spend?

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
s should not judge on appearance. Some of the richest folks do not dress up, rather frugal looking.

By purchasing through a vendor you can avoid the "vulture" attacks and the "ignore ya" ones too! At least by going through the internet vendors you know what you are paying for and someone who has the knowledge of diamonds/gemstones to help you with your purchase.

crafftygrrl

Shiny_Rock
In my experience, to get the best service from a B&M store, you need to go to a jewelery store that is a high-end, family-owned operation. They don''t hire lackadaisical help. Find a good salesperson or owner, get to know him or her and let them get to know you. Buy a few things. For better or worse I am on a first-name basis at a couple of B&M stores near me. In your case, there is no excuse for unattentive or bad service. However, if a jeweler thinks they can make a big sale such as a large solitaire, they will go out of their way to help you.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 7:34:22 PM
Author: crafftygrrl
In my experience, to get the best service from a B&M store, you need to go to a jewelery store that is a high-end, family-owned operation. They don''t hire lackadaisical help. Find a good salesperson or owner, get to know him or her and let them get to know you. Buy a few things. For better or worse I am on a first-name basis at a couple of B&M stores near me. In your case, there is no excuse for unattentive or bad service. However, if a jeweler thinks they can make a big sale such as a large solitaire, they will go out of their way to help you.

Hmm, good point. Now that I think about it, my (now) two favorite B&M stores are small operations. The higher end one, the workers were very nice even tho not very knowledgeable, but one of the two owners waited on me and he was freaking fabulous.

The other one is a smart man. He''s a nice guy, but he hires very well. His sales girls are both VERY attractive, and very nice. One''s very outgoing too. I''m sure a lot of guys looking for jewelry stayed cuz the workers were so nice and good looking. At least long enough for the customer to find out the prices and talk to other satisfied repeat customers in the store. And don''t worry ladies, the sales girls don''t flirt or anything. They''re actually quite professional. Just real friendly. Still, if you''re a guy wandering by all those countless jewelry stores trying to figure out which one to stop in, seeing one full of attractive sales girls is one way to stand out from the crowd.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
If you really wanna have fun in a mall jewelry store, try this... innocently ask the sales person, "Which of the C''s is most responsible for a diamond''s sparkle -- color or clarity?" 95% of the time, the answers are outrageous. I have never ONCE been told, "It''s neither, it''s the cut." Not once!!!!

Lynn

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Reagrding watches...............

Rolex is a top brand, they are the only watch that I know of that increases in value each year. I am not saying it is a good investment, but the price of new and pre-owned Rolexes goes up each year. They just raised their retail prices by 8% in mid February, dealers also raised pre-owned prices.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
samething happen to me at Shreve & Co. (S.F.), about 2 yrs ago i went in there wearing T shrit & jeans and all the salesperson just ignored me
29.gif
until the manager spoted that i had a nice watch on my wrist he then politely ask me to take off my watch so he can show it to his sale staff.he told his sale staff this is the new line (Lange & Sohne) we will be carrying in a few months from now. after that, a salesmen was happy to show me 20k-30k watches. As i was leaving the manager gave me a special invitation to celebrate carrying Lange watches, it was one of those suit and tie event that i would not feel comfortable of going to.....so i say no thanks.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Hats off to you for demonstrating your knowledge in a polite and respectful manner. While it''s tempting to blast ignorant, and often rude sales people, you not only held your own about diamonds, you behaved graciously. And considering we live in a graceless age, this is something to talk about!
2.gif
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 7
6.gif
7:27 PM
Author: dobie

Nope, they usually only clean the jewellery they sold to you. They might even clean other jewellery you had on at the time, but they don't have to. I've never asked any jeweller to clean jewelley in the past. Usually the jeweller will recognise their own goods and offer to clean them while browsing their store.
Strange. Every shop I've been in has been accomodating in cleaning my rings no matter where I got them from even when I said I purchased from the internet.
2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2005 8:52:36 PM
Author: baltneu

Rolex is a top brand, they are the only watch that I know of that increases in value each year. I am not saying it is a good investment, but the price of new and pre-owned Rolexes goes up each year. They just raised their retail prices by 8% in mid February, dealers also raised pre-owned prices.
baltneu
hate to say this but,Rolex isn''t even in the top 10 among the best made watches in the world.they spend millions of dollars on advertising the brand ,that''s why 95% of the public think is the best watch in the world.they''re a nice watch for different reasons.

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Travelingal! I''m sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the store
15.gif
. I wonder why it''s such a cat and mouse, tug of war game sometimes between the jewelry industry and the everyday consumer? Although I guess us PS''ers aren''t everyday! I have had similar experiences with B&M stores. I''ll dress nice, but I look very young for my age, and if I go in alone, with my DH, many times they won''t pay much attention to me, especially the women. The men usually take more interest
20.gif

I usually give a store two chances. If they are rude to me the second time, that''s it. I don''t care how much I love a piece, I won''t buy it from them. This may seem unfair to some, but it''s just the way I feel.

I hope you have better experiences in the future!
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer, thank you for the nice compliment.
1.gif

Yes, it wasn''t the greatest experience, but I learned from it a bit. And I agree...I wonder how many sales are lost because salespeople ignore the women. In fact, when he mentioned that I seemed to know a big, I kind of joked that some men don''t want to do the research, and LOTS of women end up doing the shopping and picking out the ring!

No, I wouldn''t ignore B&Ms completely. I think a poster was right to say that maybe small high end family owned stores might be key. This one is a high end BIG store (but not a harry winston or anything). And yes, they also carried the higher end watches, Pateks and what not. The Baume & Mercier was probably on the way low end of what they carried. Hence I got classified as low end in their store!
6.gif

I probably wouldn''t have been so irritated if I hadn''t found out they could have fixed my watch so easily. She dismissed me without even trying! But yes, she looked bored and probably could care less.

I''m a sales person, so I can understand that they want to make money. But they should learn that dismissing a single woman so easily can result in lost sales! I doubt I would buy from them when I am good and ready. Plus he showed me an Royal Asscher in a setting much like Lovey''s E-Ring. 2 carat, and it was beautiful. It was also $58,000. Uh, I think I could do a bit better pricewise!
23.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/2/2005 12
6.gif
6.gif
9 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Jennifer, thank you for the nice compliment.
1.gif

I agree with Jennifer. You deserved the compliment (if one can call calling a spade a spade a compliment). You were, indeed, very gracious and considerate in every way.

Deborah

PS-My friendly local jeweler (Grunberger''s in Connecticut) *ALWAYS* asks if they can clean my jewelry for me! They are not fiscal and do not care who sold it to me. The only fly in the ointment is that I am usually wearing only a plain gold wedding band, a cheap Timex watch that is not waterproof, and a pair of CZ earrings. Still...they always ask!

murray93

Rough_Rock
I have a B&M watch, too - love that thing! So are you gonna tell us what the name of the store is?
31.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
6.gif

Nope, they usually only clean the jewellery they sold to you
I''m just stunned at this, and I wonder if it''s a geographical thing.

I''ve NEVER had a jeweler refuse to clean anything I''ve been wearing when I go into the store.....in fact, even more than that, it''s very seldom that I even have to *ask*....most of the time, OFFER to clean my rings for me.

I assumed most offer because it makes you much more likely to browse while you''re waiting and hopefully find something you like.

Where do you guys all live that jewelers would actually be this rude?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2005 10
6.gif
2:22 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 3/1/2005 8:52:36 PM
Author: baltneu

baltneu
hate to say this but,Rolex isn''t even in the top 10 among the best made watches in the world.they spend millions of dollars on advertising the brand ,that''s why 95% of the public think is the best watch in the world.they''re a nice watch for different reasons.
Agreed about the not the best made watch. It''s not the best timekeeper. But, to say it''s middle management is laughable. Watches are more about what one likes than what it is. It''s really personal. Hubby had carte blanche as I did with picking out a watch to wear every day. Both of us tried on what seemed like a million watches. Both of us settled on the Rolex as a watch to wear everyday. It felt right & fit the bill of being waterproof & pretty indestrucible. My former watch was a Cartier. I couldn''t wear it on a regular basis because of the croc strap & around any water. It kept GREAT time though & still does. BTW, neither of us are middle management.

Rolex''s do hold their value though as does some other brands. Watch collecting is it''s own catagory. I still can''t figure out why men''s watches are MUCH more collectible than women''s. Maybe more men are into watches. I love the form watch. My fav watch is my Paul Ditishiem retro watch from the 30''s.

I digress. I agree that owner operator shops seem to provide better service, etc. But, as far as service in one of the higher end "chains", I''ve been dissed by the best of them. I''ve also been fawned over to the point where it was hard to exit. I think it was Michelle who mentioned that some sales people just don''t want to be there.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
fire & ice

what watches do you like ? i have a dressy cartier (manual wind...what a pain) and i am looking for a good wear-all-the-time-watch

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 11
6.gif
9:26 AM
Author: windowshopper
fire & ice

what watches do you like ? i have a dressy cartier (manual wind...what a pain) and i am looking for a good wear-all-the-time-watch
I wear my Rolex everyday - to the pool, to garden, and dressy. It serves me well. BUT - if you don''t wear it everyday, it doesn''t keep the best time. I loved my Cartier tank (it was battery run); but, I couldn''t garden or even do the dishes with it on. I''m one of those people who are naked w/o a watch. Neither of us were in the market for a Rolex. I hate the status associated with the hype of the Rolex. Both of us settled in on the Rolex. Hubby has a Sea dweller & mine is a Oyster perp. Datejust. I''m really not into name chasing; but, this one felt right & didn''t break the bank. My former "pool" watch was a Swatch watch that kept time when the battery was o.k. Maybe something was wrong with it. My former former "pool" watch was a child''s timex. That thing kept perfect time until it died after about 7 or 8 years. I think it was a grand total of $10.00. I also have the Movado musuem watch that I wear as more dressy (black face, silver frame). It keeps great time.

Quite frankly, my second choice was a Swiss Army watch at less than $100.00. It didn''t feel as good on my wrist.

Maybe Dancing Fire can point you in a direction. I didn''t want to go with a more illusive brand because of service issues.

One thing I really liked about the Rolex is you can build your own & order from the factory (through their rep). I wanted a black dial, stick markers, fluted bezel, etc. I just order it the way I wanted it - took a couple of weeks.

My advice - find out what you want in a watch & go out and try them on. Costco is not a bad place to start.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Murray, it''s probably best I don''t. But I will say it was in Newport Beach, CA.
2.gif

And yes, I love my B&M watch. I have had it for years and am so happy with it, I don''t care to buy another watch anytime soon (and I LOVE watches!)

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 10:48
6.gif
8 AM
Author: aljdewey
6.gif

Nope, they usually only clean the jewellery they sold to you

I'm just stunned at this, and I wonder if it's a geographical thing.

I've NEVER had a jeweler refuse to clean anything I've been wearing when I go into the store.....in fact, even more than that, it's very seldom that I even have to *ask*....most of the time, OFFER to clean my rings for me.

I assumed most offer because it makes you much more likely to browse while you're waiting and hopefully find something you like.

Where do you guys all live that jewelers would actually be this rude?

My female friends and relatives have never had an offer to clean their jewelery unless they bought from there in California. NorCal and SoCal.

I still stand by my statement that Rolex isn't the king of all watch brands. They're a very good brand. Very recently, quality has gone up. However, their popularity is still a product of amazing marketing. Kinda like DeBeers and diamonds now that I think about it since diamonds aren't really all that rare.

When I become wealthy, my watch is going to have the Geneva Seal on it. Either that or an A. Lange & Sohn (it isn't eligible for the Geneva Seal I believe, but still a top brand). I coulda had a Rolex now, but maybe it's cuz I live in LA and everyone flaunts so much around here, b/c of Rolex's great marketing, they've acquired popularity in more areas than they expected including ones I'd rather not be associated with. So, I went with Omega instead (less knockoffs around too). Fun fact: Omega is owned by Swatch (yes, that company that makes those plastic watches, but the parent Swatch Co. happens to be the DeBeers of the Swiss watch industry).

baltneu

Shiny_Rock
Well, we all have different tastes in watches. I have read review about the "best watches", it seems very subjective, I guess like diamonds!

I think the Rolex is the most "recognizable" of the higher-end swiss watches. I often will look at someones wrist to see what they are wearing.

About resale prices of watches, I think that the mens rolex's hold value because of supply and demand, in other words men will buy a pre-owned watch. I have been told by watch dealers that women like to buy "new" watches. If you gave me a pre-owned Rolex, I will love it, but if you give a woman a pre-owned rolex, she might think you are cheap, because you did not buy her a new one.

Ladies, please don't beat me up for above, I was told this by a few high-end watch dealers as they sold and observed patterns of their clients.

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
Baltneu: Great post! I totally agree. "Best" watch is totally subjective.

B/c Rolex is the most recognizeable, most people think it''s the best. They don''t hear about some of the other smaller Swiss brands.

I view Rolex as kind of the Tiffany & Co. of the watch world. Definitely a great company. Can''t really go wrong. However, once you get into the watch geek level (kinda like us Pricescopers for diamonds), you find another level. Kind of like the various Heart and Arrow diamonds and ideal cut. Less people know about H&A and the various brands. Just like less people know about Patek and the other super premium brands and teh Geneva Seal.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2005 1:47
6.gif
3 PM
Author: codex57
Baltneu: Great post! I totally agree. ''Best'' watch is totally subjective.

B/c Rolex is the most recognizeable, most people think it''s the best. They don''t hear about some of the other smaller Swiss brands.

I view Rolex as kind of the Tiffany & Co. of the watch world. Definitely a great company. Can''t really go wrong. However, once you get into the watch geek level (kinda like us Pricescopers for diamonds), you find another level. Kind of like the various Heart and Arrow diamonds and ideal cut. Less people know about H&A and the various brands. Just like less people know about Patek and the other super premium brands and teh Geneva Seal.
Knew about all of them. I researched till the cows came home & then went with my gut w/ the Rolex. BTW, I own a vintage Patek. Can''t get the darn thing fixed. That is one of the reasons I went with a more mainstream watch. I had a great Swiss trained young watchmaker locally. He worked on all my vintage watches. But, he was struggling and decided to go to MBA school instead - silly him - left me high and dry. One can always send the Rolex to Rolex, USA if you have problems.

Watches are personal. And yes, I guess the Rolex is the most recognizable "brands". I can understand relating it to Tiffany *except* that Tiffany does sell some really bad trinkets. Rolex''s aren''t trinkets. They are a pretty substantial watch w/ some interesting workings. Honestly, I didn''t label chase with my selection. I think LOP came to the same conclusion I did. It feels right.

Interesting comment, Baltneu - it could explain why women''s vintage watches are ignored. I have to say that except for the jeweled watches - women''s vintage watches can be very boring. Men''s watches always began with a banging introduction back then. Men''s watches get a buzz on design - with women it''s more like a piece of jewelry. And, the men''s designs just don''t translate to "smaller" except for the Rolex. I guess this women is different as I love vintage watches.

Favorite watch - can''t remember the name - but it''s the one that Will Smith wore in MIB. They still sell it - too large for me to wear though.

Hubbies favorite - Hamilton Field watch. That''s what he wore up until the Rolex. He just went through sooooooo many watch bands - they kept getting funky.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results