shape
carat
color
clarity

Great expose about labs with Neil Beaty

hawk25

Shiny_Rock
That was a great report, hopefully many buyers will watch and remember it.

I'm curious though, PSers have high regard for AGS. I know they trump GIA in cut analysis, and from what I've read they match GIA in color/clarity grading as well (other than a few anecdotal opinions/stories). They are also a not for-profit organization. Any reason why AGS wasn't mentioned alongside GIA?

I've been reading other forums where people say you should only buy GIA and nothing else. It's a shame that they'll be missing out on some pretty nice AGS graded stones.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very fun to see Neil live! Great report!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
hawk25|1385594491|3564211 said:
That was a great report, hopefully many buyers will watch and remember it.

I'm curious though, PSers have high regard for AGS. I know they trump GIA in cut analysis, and from what I've read they match GIA in color/clarity grading as well (other than a few anecdotal opinions/stories). They are also a not for-profit organization. Any reason why AGS wasn't mentioned alongside GIA?

I've been reading other forums where people say you should only buy GIA and nothing else. It's a shame that they'll be missing out on some pretty nice AGS graded stones.
We talked about AGS in the interview but it ended up on the cutting room floor. We also talked about EGL-USA and IGI. The problem, basically, is that there's only so much you can fit into a 4 1/2 minute story and they went with the biggest differential. We had a great sample stone with AGS & GIA paperwork for the same one. GIA called it 2.03/F/SI1/xxx; AGS called it G/SI1/000. The big difference in those two is actually in fluorescence ... AGS-negligible, GIA-medium.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting Neil- kind of like a lot of mainstream Media stories- focusing on the sensational aspects- while missing many fine, yet important points.
I was pretty sure you would have made sure to give a balanced answer.
Congrats again- it was still great to see you speak on the subject.

About the stone submitted to AGS and GIA- you have me curious..... did you see the stone- and did you find fluorescence?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I saw some but not all of the stones. I saw the one they decided to feature but not the AGS one. By the way, it was medium yellow, not blue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results