shape
carat
color
clarity

Grandmother''s ring - european cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

antiquegirl

Rough_Rock
I have my grandmother''s engagement ring. There is an engraved date inside the band of 1930, the year she was married. The ring setting is platinum in a kind of daisy form. The center diamond is a european cut .70 carats VVS1 clarity and is referred to as a "white" diamond. There are four 4 pt diamonds (2 on each side). The ring is absolutely beautiful and the diamond is exquisite. My question concerns value. My mother wanted to look into selling it. After taking it to a couple of jewelers who either bought diamonds or were estate jewelers she decided not to sell it. We were offered around $600 by a couple of jewelers. Another estate jeweler told me that it was an excellent ring but the european cut is not very popular right now and he said he wouldn''t even make an offer because it would be nowhere near what the ring was actually worth. We have an appraisal from 1981 that shows a value of $4200. I have decided to keep the ring in the family as the sentimental value alone is worth more than $600. What is your opinion of the value from the appraisal vs. the offers?

Thanks for any information you can give.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i would support you decision to keep the ring for sentimental reasons. i could not even come close to guessing what a ring like that would bring as far as a dollar amount. i will say that a 24 year old appraisal is not going to be of any benefit and should not be used to determine the value of the ring.

kittykat

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure what it might be worth, but would loove to see some pictures in the show me the ring forum.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Antiquegirl....pictures, please!!!!!!!

Like everyone else, I agree that it would be impossible to guess the value of the ring, but I''m willing to guess that it''s worth quite a bit more than $600! But I do have some thoughts:

I disagree that Old European Cuts are out of favor...especially clean beautiful ones like the one you''ve described. Some people (like me
3.gif
) absolutely LOVE them!

1930 is the art deco era...very popular with antique jewelry collectors.

Have you visited the "Show me your Family Heirlooms" thread?

I hope you decide to keep it for the generations to come.....family pieces like that are such treasures...and so priceless.

...and welcome to Pricescope!
35.gif
!

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I totally agree with widget. OEC''S are sought after and a stone of that clarity is hard to find. You have got to post pics of this beauty, please. I had to do a search across the US to find a replacement stone for my SIL who lost hers out of her setting and it was slim pickins.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beware of appraised values from 1979 through 1981. The markets went way up and crashed. Appraised values were stratospheric, realistic or low and without seeing the item it is pure guesswork what level of value was being used back then.

By 1981 diamond values were crashing or crashed, but appraisers and sellers often supported the "feel good" situation. It was truly difficult to tell people what had been highly valued 12 onths before now was very much lower. Oftentimes the truth was not revealed.

Odilia

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with the others: keep the ring and show us pictures!

I am also curious about the value, as I am curious about a ring I saw in an antique store - from around 1950 and it''s some kind of old cut, but I will have to find more about it and ask then.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results