shape
carat
color
clarity

Good stone? 0.80 Carat Ideal Cut, I color, VS2

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamond is gone. Did you purchase it? It's borderline and would need a picture to make sure the cut is all right.

damnvicious

Rough_Rock
I did purchase it but still pending payment. Would you think this is not a good choice? I am looking for a diamond roughly in the $2500 range.

dneal12

Rough_Rock
BN doesn't do pics. To be honest, I personally would pass on this one....

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Tough to judge the stone from Blue Nile, as you don't have the light performance data necessary to determine if it's a well-cut stone or not. Unfortunately, they don't provide the necessary info.

How about this option? It's an eye-clean stone, slightly larger than the one you had reserved at BN, but with confirmed AGS 0 - Ideal light performance. Pair it with a platinum setting and you're at the door under budget!

.817ct, I, SI2
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3317445.htm
+
Platinum 6 Prong Solitaire
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-4.htm

or a different flavor with the August Vintage option:

.70ct, J, VS1
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-7ct-j-vs1-august-vintage-round-diamond.html
+
Platinum Solitare
http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/platinum-solitare-engagement-ring.html

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That whiteflash stone that Rocky suggested is a sweet find. I would definitely look into that one as it has the eye clean mark. That way you don't have to overpay for VS clarity to be sure you are getting something eye clean. I would make sure to ask them about the color, and whether it is a strong I (closer to H) or a weak I (closer to J). Since it is a premium select diamond you get their lifetime trade up program too. If you decide you want to upgrade later you always can, and the diamond only has to be equal or greater value. Nice stone for sure!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I can not see any details on the first stone and I can not comment on the choices you have made, but I am very curious as to what information you are using to make the blanket comment that these are better than the original.

Wink

dneal12

Rough_Rock
All four have an HCA under 2 (the first one didn't). All four have pictures (takes away some uncertainty of BN which IMO is a big plus) and all four have well formed arrows meaning some semblance of symmetry. At the same time having greater than or equal face up area.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dneal12|1422707235|3824906 said:
All four have an HCA under 2 (the first one didn't). All four have pictures (takes away some uncertainty of BN which IMO is a big plus) and all four have well formed arrows meaning some semblance of symmetry. At the same time having greater than or equal face up area.

Three of the four are also claiming to be GIA certified Ideal cuts. GIA does not certify and they do not have an Ideal cut grade.

As a vendor this bothers me as being totally unfactual.

Wink

dneal12

Rough_Rock
Yes, that threw me at first too. The "ideal" or "excellent" refers to their own "cut score" and GIA's cut score. I think they are trying to list descriptors saying it is ideal by their standards and also graded by the GIA. However, the way the do this is confusing at best, and misleading at worst.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dneal12|1422749159|3825228 said:
Yes, that threw me at first too. The "ideal" or "excellent" refers to their own "cut score" and GIA's cut score. I think they are trying to list descriptors saying it is ideal by their standards and also graded by the GIA. However, the way the do this is confusing at best, and misleading at worst.
I think you can correctly characterize as "misleading" the representation of a GIA diamond that is not even Triple Ex as a "GIA Certified Ideal Cut". Two of the referenced diamonds failed to get even GIA's top grade for cutting.

dneal12

Rough_Rock
Yes you are correct in that it is misleading, I just don't know that it is deliberate. The terms "GIA certified" and "Ideal cut" have nothing to do with each other in the context that enchanted is using them. "GIA certified" refers to the certificate type it has while "Ideal cut" is referring to the cut score that enchanted has assigned it (anything above a 90 is "ideal" by their own grading system). While putting those terms next to each other is definitely misleading, it may or may not be intentional (giving the benefit of the doubt).

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
dneal12|1422762412|3825323 said:
Yes you are correct in that it is misleading,

I’m glad you see this. Deliberate or not, Zales and others do it too, including some bigger online sellers. It creates constant confusion.

Thanks to the strict work of AGS laboratories the term “Ideal” became known for implying very top, top-quality. It used to mean something. Now many companies have taken that buzzword and slapped it across truckloads of diamonds, most of which would never earn the AGS definition of Ideal if sent for grading.

Although it is not illegal, sadly, it does create a lot of extra work for those of us who focus on consumer education and protection. We constantly encounter consumers who are misled or confused by this. There are a number of vendors on this site who are constantly attempting to educate the public with true information, and it is frustrating to spend so much time debunking the misinformation. That so many consumers do come to understand and appreciate learning this information, it is well worth our time and effort, but wow, if people would just truthfully present their diamonds, it would be so much easier.

I would also add that the most cut focused jewelers even differentiate between diamonds cut just to the bottom of the AGS Ideal cut grade and those at the very top of AGS Ideal. That makes us even more sensitive to all of the warehouse sellers slapping “Ideal” across truckloads of their inventory, much of which might not even qualify for the wider GIA Excellent cut grade.
Many PS sellers who contribute here on the forum discussed this in the open long ago.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-terms-ideal-and-ags-ideal.50802/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-terms-ideal-and-ags-ideal.50802/[/URL]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results