shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Old Gold Review

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

njdiamondlooker

Rough_Rock
I recently proposed to my girlfriend and she said "YES!!" She loved the ring and the fire was amazing. Now onto the rewiew.

I started out clueless regarding diamonds etc. I used this forum as a starting point and learned tons. I also read a lot of favorable reviews on Good Old Gold. Seeing that they were in Long Island, not to far from NJ, I decided to email them. My emails were returned very promptly and always answered very specifically. I narrowed my choices down to two Hears and Arrows diamonds. A G and an I. The G was VS2 and the I was VS1. I had talked to Tim over the internet quite a bit and arranged for an appointment on Saturday. Unfortunatley when I arrived Tim was not there. I was diappointed until Charlie came to the resuce. Since Tim was not available Charlie helped me out. He was very informative and very patient. He went over each diamond with me and showed both diamonds to me in various lighting, different machines etc. Both diamonds looked great. I couldn''t decide and told Charlie I was going to eat lunch and ponder it. Went over next door to the pizza place (if you go to Good Old Gold in person make sure you visit the pizza place, it is amazing) When I came back I told Charlie I wanted the I. However, there was no setting in the store that I liked. Thus I told Charlie I''d go home and find some pictures of what my tastes were and then would email him. I found some pictures and made another appointment to come in. This time I also met Jonathan. Jonathan is great. He is very enthusiastic and very very knowledgeable. He also takes the time to respond from his personal email to you. I decided to look at the diamonds once more and after speaking and contmeplating with Jonathan I decided the G was for me. I then spoke with Amy regarding the setting. She said she could make what I wanted...this was great. I told them I wanted it in white gold and engraved. She said this all could be done and when the ring was complete she would call me. When the ring was done I eventually drove to GOG for the third and last time. When I got to GOG I saw the ring and it was perfect. However, I then once again decided to change my mind...I wanted platinum. GOG was very understanding and said they would make another in platinum at no charge to me bc the ring was something they could easily put in there showroom. Mind you I did not have the diamond set in it yet. A few weeks went by and I remained in contact with both Jonathan and Amy. Amy basically was in charge now though. I emailed Amy continoulsy and called her too reminding her I wanted platinum and engraving. She said no problem. Oh, by the way the process started near the end of May. Finally on August 1st my ring was ready. Amy called and said it was ready. I was psyched. Now to the billing. All I needed to do was charge the ring and it would be shipped. Now this was a nightmare. I decided to split the cost of the ring up and put it on two cards...big mistake. My citibank card went through with no problem. My GM card though was another story. Charlie tried and tried but even though I had plenty of available credit the charge wouldn''t go through. After both Charlie and I spoke to them over 10 times each finally they put it through. Word to the wise...if you have a GM card get rid of it...the customer service is so awful...Charlie can attest to this...I must admit though through it all Charlie was so patient and great. He told me the ring would be shipped out the next day. The next day I got the ring around 10 am. I opened the two boxes up (they ship it very securely, great job) an sitting there was a small cardboard box...I opened the box and my white ring box was there. I opened it up and the light went on showcasing this beautiful ring in platinum. It was completely gorgeous. However, upon taking it out I noticed there was no engraving...I was disappointed, because I made it a huge point with Amy over 10 times to make sure it was engraved. I immediately contacted Jonathan. He told me it was no biggie and then I could bring it in and have it back the next day. Well Long Island is quite a drive from NJ so I really didn''t want to have to put all the miles on my car and pay for tolls again...plus I was taking a trip to get engaged and didn''t have time for that. I told him I would just give the ring to my girlfriend and if later she really wanted it engraved then I would be in contact with him. After getting off the phone with Jonathan I looked over the appraisals. Veru nicely done, although I wish they were bound. One thing missing was the hearts and arrows viewer. I have contacted Jonathan about this via email and am awaiting his response. I will keep you all updated. Now for the report card

Overall Grade B+
Quality: A+...Everyone that sees my fiancee''s ring is astonished how much it sparkels. It is awesome!! I will buy my wedding rings from GOG and will recommend all my family and friend''s to them.

Customer Service B...If I dealth only with Charlie and Jonathan this grade would be an A+ too. However Tim and Amy brought the grade down. Like I said above I was "stood up" by Tim and never given an explanation. As for Amy...I''m very diappointed regarding her mistake with engraving. It could have been worse and I could have had something I didn''t want engraved but still after 10 emails you would have thought she would have remembered to engrave it....especially since it is even written on the receipt. At least if for some reason she couldn''t do it, a simple phone call would have been of great courtesy.

Overall...GOG is great as long as you basically deal with Jonathan or Charlie. These two go out of their way for you. They are patient, knowledgeable, and just great. I would recommend GOG to anyone. However, before you get something sent to you have either Charlie or Jonathan check it over. If you are looking for a ring this is the store to go to....went to many others and GOG blew the competition away. Thanks again.

ps...I will keep you all posted on what happens in regards to the missing H&A viewer.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
What an informative post.
What happened with your veiwer?
Where are the pictures of you ring?

njdiamondlooker

Rough_Rock
I haven''t hear back from Jonathan yet in regards to the viewer. As for the picture I will post one GOG took of it. However, the picture doesn''t do it justic as in person it is even nicer!! For some reason when I take pictures with my digital they don''t come out sharp as the "fire" seems to blur the camera!!!

Ring1b.JPG

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for giving a very through and honest review! The ring looks absolutely stunning, your girlfriend is going to LOVE it!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey NJ,

Thanks for the candid review. When I left at 6pm this evening I didn''t see an email from ya but consider it answered. We''ll be sure to foward you the H&A viewer asap.

Now ... can I give a customer review?
3.gif
Haha... just kidding. You were great to work with nj. There were some minor bumps on both ends but the primary goal was acheived and the bottom line of course is that both you and your fiance are happy. We look forward to being of service to you again NJ and always remember ... if there''s ever any issue, if I''m not at my email I''m usually at this forum for easy and efficient communication.

Just a word on Tim. We''re going on a year now with him and I have put him in command of my former duties which is basically handling all incoming email and finder form requests. It is a HUGE task for him while I''m working on the new server, website and some new articles but as soon as I''m done I''ll be taking a major portion of his work load tackling the emails (which are generally all answered within 24 hours on our biz days) and our upcoming webcast "The Diamond Show" which will feature this fall. Tim really is a hard worker and quick study and I can''t say enough good things about his efforts and the incredible contributions he has made to our company. He works like a bull dog for all our clients in helping them locate the perfect stone and has streamlined it much better than I had in the past. On the Saturday that you came in, if memory serves me right, he was out sick that weekend. He would NEVER stand someone up in an appointment intentiopnally. He really does have the heart of a servant and just about everyone who has dealt personally with him are always satisfied. Heck ... even I get sick once in a while and in the mind of a client, if I can''t make it for that reason it would appear that I had stood them up too. It''s happened and was even reported here on the forum too!
6.gif
Ok... I''ve rambled enough.

Once again thanks nj!

Warm regards,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hey Mata!!!

It was great meeting you last week!!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
You too Rhino! I just loved the pictures of your pugs! Sooo cute!
4.gif

njdiamondlooker

Rough_Rock
I''m sorry if I made Tim sound like a bad guy...that was not my intention...he did everything great for us...I guess stood up was a bad phrase. Granted he wasn''t there but you and Charlie took over smoothly so it was no big deal at all. I hear what you are saying about having more work...I have a great deal of work ahead now that I''m engaged!! In all honesty like I said I wouldn''t steer anyone to a jeweler except Good Old Gold. After proposing I already emailed all my friends and family telling them if they ever needed a diamond of some sort that I have the perfect store for them. If there is anyway to give you positive feedback let me know. I would be more then happy to email whomever it may concern bc GOG is simply amazing. I will be in touch when it comes time for wedding bands...wouldn''t go anywhere else. Thanks again Good Old Gold.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring.
What are the rest of the specs besides G VS2?

njdiamondlooker

Rough_Rock
It is .928 center stone, platinum setting...Hearts and arrows cut. Honestly if you are planning to buy an engagement ring and want the "Ferrari" not the Ford and Chevy''s everyone else has, but the Ferrari where everyone stops and just says wow, very nice then Good Old Gold is for you. It may cost a bit more but it''s worth every penny.

Quote from one of my fiance''s friends who never has anything positive to say about anything that is not hers..."Wow your ring sparkles so much and is so white...mine is so yellow and dull compared to yours!!" After she proceeded to call her husband to complain
6.gif
That is a true life story of how GOG puts the competition to shame!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results