shape
carat
color
clarity

Good Jeweler in Atlanta, GA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Can anyone recommend a good jeweler in the Atlanta area? I would like to try and get a quote for a micro-pave setting (1.5mm) for a cushion diamond.
Thanks!!
1.gif

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
Brown & Company in Roswell, GA is one of my favorite jewelers, excellent customer service. I have also had some custom work done at Jewelry Artisans in Sandy Springs, GA.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
I have never purchased anything from Brown & Co. in Roswell -- but they have always been VERY very nice and helpful when I''ve stopped in. My bf has bought from them in the past has always had very good experiences.

allan creates

Rough_Rock
You might want to contact David Geller he lives there and is the jewelry GURU of our time. He knows all the jewelery business, I'm sure he could guide you to what you want.

You can reach him by phone or email.

David Geller
Fax:404 252-9835
Tel:404 255-9565

Allan Creates
http://www.ringlock.com

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/19/2005 8:54:39 AM
Author: allan creates
You might want to contact David Geller he lives there and is the jewelry GURU of our time. He knows all the jewelery business, I''m sure he could guide you to what you want.

You can reach him by phone or email.

David Geller
Fax:404 252-9835
Tel:404 255-9565

Allan Creates
http://www.ringlock.com
One of the "Geller''s" is connected with Jewelry Artisans in Sandy Springs, and I think it may be David Geller. It''s been awhile since I''ve been there but they did a wonderful custom job for us on my husbands ring.

SJS1234

Shiny_Rock
If you''re talking about D. Gellar and Sons -- just prepare yourself for the hard sell. I''ve been in there a couple of times in the last couple of years and those salespeople are HARDCORE. Mr. Gellar himself may know a lot about diamonds, but those vultures that descend on you when you walk in that door are a little much to deal with -- if you''re not prepared for it, and they don''t really know much about diamonds.
Just practice saying "not buying today" over and over again.

My littlle D. Gellar story:

A few months ago my bf and I decided to start looking for rings, so we spent one Saturday checking out different places. We both knew that we weren''t going to make a decision any time soon, because I just wasn''t sure what I liked at that point. Anyway, D. Gellar was the 2nd store we visited (they make a big deal in their commercials about coming to them last, but whatever, we were in the area). The place was packed with salespeople and potential customers -- and you could easily overhear lots of wheelin'' and dealin'' between the "bf''s" and the sales staff (we listened while one guy got a setting for HALF the "sticker" price!!). Anyway we told the first person who spoke to us that we were in the very first stages of looking - definitely not buying anything that day. He gave us space for about 2 minutes, but as soon as I started lingering over one setting he showed up again and pulled the ring out to show me. That was fine, of course, because it WAS a pretty setting and I DID want to see it. After I had "enjoyed" it long enough I said thanks and handed it back to him, and made a mental note to come back to this store to see this setting again at a later date, after I had "shopped" around a little. My bf and I then started heading towards the door when we were stopped by someone in a lab coat (Mr. Gellar or one of the other biggies, I guess) -- he was holding the setting and started telling us that he can work on the price. We said no thanks -- not buying today. He continued on -- and asked, "is there any price that would make you buy this ring today".....SO funny, because my bf is a Sales Mgr. at a car dealership here in town, & that''s exactly what his sales guys are supposed to ask customers before letting them leave the dealership. ANYWAY -- we told the lab coat guy "no" that we weren''t buying that day, and he just seem perturbed and walked off.....oh -- but not before chastising us for not coming to D. Gellar last, like the commercials told us to!! haha. Well, needless to say bf and I were both completely icked out -- turned off -- and will not be going back -- for ANY price.

They do have tons of stuff though -- and they WILL wheel and deal on the settings. Just saying you should prepare yourself.

ozam

Rough_Rock
Only go to D. Geller & Sons if you like shopping for used cars. My girlfriend refused to go back there even just to look around. They have very "friendly" advertising but their in-store demeanor is horrific - i had the same experience as SJS1234 above - what a joke! If you want to see lots of reasonably priced high end rings try Solomon Brothers at Tower Place. Ultimately, you will find that on-line retailers will give you much more bang for your dollar.

tgorman

Rough_Rock
I have never replied to one of these postings before but when I saw this story, I registered just so that I could share my experience.

My bf and I did the same thing when shopping for an engagement ring. We went into D. Geller just to look. We ended up finding a setting that I fell in love with, but they were the first place we had looked and we didn''t feel comfortable buying without looking around. As you mentioned, we got the "hard sell" and were told that if we put a downpayment on the ring and found something we liked elsewhere, they would purchase the other ring from the other jewler and sell it to us for less. At this point, my bf had been negotiating for about 45 minutes. He was then told that if we didn''t put a downpayment on the ring and if we left the store, we would not be offered the same price if we returned at a later date. No wonder they want you to shop them last!!

Anyway, we agreed to make a downpayment and (unbeknownst to me) my bf went the next day to pick up the ring. When he entered the store, Mr. Geller (don''t know which one) came out of the back ranting and raving at him saying that he thought he told him never to come back to his store again. The two of them were NOT under any circumstances going to negotiate any further and that he absolutely would not sell to him. When he walked out that door, he ended any chance of doing business with them. The salesperson that my bf had beed working with then came running over and explained that he was not the same person that Mr. Geller was thinking of and that my bf was there to make a rather substantial purchase. He then got a half hearted apology and a pair of pearl earrings to make up for it. Keep in mind, this all happened in front of the other customers!

As it turned out, we got the ring and have been very happy with it, but had I been there when he picked up the ring, I probably would have told D. Geller that the sale was off.

chantheman

Rough_Rock
Just thought I should put my thoughts into this.

I utilized the services of Kathryn Kinev when I was looking to have a setting custom made for my fiance''. Although I did not end up purchasing from her, she was nothing but a professional.

Kathryn owned a shop in Buckhead for many years, but now works without a storefront.

Kathryn is a GIA graduate Gemologist as well as a Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain.

Kathryn is skilled in working in all metals. Some of her platinum pieces are amazing. She will also customize the platinum mix depending on your preferences.

She is a recommended appraiser on the PS appraiser list. She does not sell diamonds, but I am sure she can source them in very small carat weights for a pave type setting.

I ended up having my setting custom made by White Flash due to time related factors, but Kathryn Appraised my diamond and run of the mill temporary Tiffany setting. She operates a full gem lab as well as metal shop for her craft. Her appraisal was realistic and accurate and she is very thorough.

Her website is located below. And on it you can find her resume. I also checked with GIA prior to using her and found her continuing education points to be high and her membership status I believe is now lifetime.

www.jewelcreations.com

Just though I should throw my experiences with her in. If you like laid back honesty, you will find it with her.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

In case you couldn''t tell, I am giving her a round of applause.

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/9/2005 3:50:43 PM
Author: chantheman
Just thought I should put my thoughts into this.

I utilized the services of Kathryn Kinev when I was looking to have a setting custom made for my fiance''. Although I did not end up purchasing from her, she was nothing but a professional.

Kathryn owned a shop in Buckhead for many years, but now works without a storefront.

Kathryn is a GIA graduate Gemologist as well as a Fellow of the Gemmological Association of Great Britain.

Kathryn is skilled in working in all metals. Some of her platinum pieces are amazing. She will also customize the platinum mix depending on your preferences.

She is a recommended appraiser on the PS appraiser list. She does not sell diamonds, but I am sure she can source them in very small carat weights for a pave type setting.

I ended up having my setting custom made by White Flash due to time related factors, but Kathryn Appraised my diamond and run of the mill temporary Tiffany setting. She operates a full gem lab as well as metal shop for her craft. Her appraisal was realistic and accurate and she is very thorough.

Her website is located below. And on it you can find her resume. I also checked with GIA prior to using her and found her continuing education points to be high and her membership status I believe is now lifetime.

www.jewelcreations.com

Just though I should throw my experiences with her in. If you like laid back honesty, you will find it with her.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

In case you couldn''t tell, I am giving her a round of applause.
Chan,
Thanks for this information. I, hopefully, will be having a custom piece made in the not to distant future and am not sure who to choose. I keep seeing all of these fabulous Leon Mege pieces, but am not sure how practical it would be to work with him long distance. I''ll be certain to check out Kathryn''s work before making a decision.
35.gif

gee5088

Rough_Rock
Hello there,

I LOVE SPARKLY THINGS TOO!!!
28.gif

As for a recommendation for a jeweler in Atlanta...let me share my story.

I live in Virginia Beach, VA and via the internet (checking out eBay actually), I came across Oropaz, The Diamond Company-based in Atlanta. To save you all the boring details, I am recommending them highly and most notably the manager, Dominique Saranga. I will include website and contact details below. Anyway, I have been working with her EXTENSIVELY. The process began with finding a center stone. She gave me specs and prices on several stones, and after weeks of nearly daily emails (to which she always responds promptly), we chose an AGS 000 1.03 F/SI2 (eye-clean) with great specs and HCA 0.7. After going back and forth and back and forth with what I had in mind for the setting, we''ve finally decided. She is now custom-designing and making a thin, eternity pave band with 4 "double-prongs" (in WG to save us money that we put towards the stone). The design is much like Mara''s--THANKS MARA FOR THE INSPIRATION!!!--Anyway, Dominique has been GREAT to work with, and pricing is indeed very competitive with a lot of the PS vendors. We hope to get the finished ring by the end of the week (in time for Valentine''s!). I will then have it appraised and later insured. If there is anything not in line with our expectations, she has assured us of her return policy if need be. Dominique is patient, prompt and all-around great to work with. I would DEFINITELY recommend her and her company, especially because she''s local to you and you can check Oropaz out in person!

Here''s the info:
OROPAZ THE DIAMOND COMPANY
[email protected]
(404)995-4430 phone
(404)995-4425 fax

I hope to be able to post pics when I get the ring...I can hardly wait!!!!
19.gif

Good luck on your endeavor!
21.gif

LuvsPricescope

Rough_Rock
huge HUGE second for oropaz and cel*n*gee thank you SO MUCH for mentioning them! if not for you i would have never found them. celeste and domonique are outstanding and their stones are to die for! after many MANY searches oropaz had hands down the most beautiful diamond i''ve seen and it''s being set as we speak :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results