shape
carat
color
clarity

Good deal? 3.0 ct round

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbuyer3

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Just wanted a little help in evaluating a round diamond I''ve seen:

Unfortunately, I don''t have 100% of the data as its from a pre-cert and a Sarin report. I have seen it though, and to me it looks great. I''m a newb, though.

EGL cert (Antwerp, I believe)
3.1ct H VS2
59.5 Depth
57.4 Table
41.6 Pav. Angle
44.3 Pav. Depth
31.3 Crown Angle
No Flour.
Girdle Avg. 1.6
Pointed Culet

I can trust the seller enought that the data will match on the actual cert. He was thinking that it might need to be graded as a G instead of H as compared to a G color graded stone (also EGL cert) it looks very similar in color, although I am not astute enough to decide how much of a difference warrants a lower grade.

$30K.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Someone might know better than me, but isn''t a 31.3 crown angle very shallow? Can that be subject to easy chipping?

Do you know the stone''s mm measure?

newbuyer3

Rough_Rock
The Sarin report lists Dia. as 9.54 (9.52-9.59) mm and the depth as 5.68 and table as 5.48. Not sure if this is sufficient for you....

newbuyer3

Rough_Rock
this maybe of importance - it does look quite bigger than a 3.0ct (this is 3.1). does this have to do with the shallow crown angle? i initially thought that this might be a good thing....might that not be the case?

also - where does the girdle fit into gridle classifications. im a newb, so this is getting all very confusing....

all comments / suggestions welcome!

thanks.

shel

Shiny_Rock
Don''t know if it''s a fair price, but I agree that the crown is shallow. That combined with a thin-ish girdle (1.6%) would increase the risk of chipping. On the HCA, it scores a 2.6 with vg for light return, good for fire, good for scintillation, and (as you could guess) ex for spread. Just my personal preference, but I would hesitate on this stone. The EGL Antwerp is a bit worrisome too.

newbuyer3

Rough_Rock
great feedback. thanks.

would anyone be able to comment on whether or not these factors would be worth dealing with for the price? or are both the stone and the price unacceptable?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
medium girdle, i think. but that is the average. you would know more if you had the max and the min.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I would ask to have the stone appraised before you made an offer. That would clear up any issues around the EGL report. On an expensive thing like this I would insist.

The stone might be fragile, but it depends how you use it and how you set it. If it goes in a bezel setting it should be safe enough. If it is a pendant, fine. If it is in 4 prongs ring on a very active lady - not so fine.

If you get a good appraisal and price you can always insure it against damage from chipping. Might be good idea w/ this stone.

newbuyer3

Rough_Rock
thanks for the feedback thus far.

can someone go into more detail as to why the structure of the stone lends to a higher probability of chipping?

JulieN: girdle max is 1.9 and min is 1.3.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
because the crown angle is so low, there is less diamond on the crown. less diamond means that there is a durability risk.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results