shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG vs. ERD

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

magnus

Rough_Rock
Just curious what people''s opinions were. Honestly after doing some searches on their site it gives me the feeling that GOG''s diamonds look nicer. Basing that strictly on the pictures of the diamonds on each site. Although, it seems like GOG''s prices are higher. Has anyone gone to both and have an opinion about which one they would recommend? I''m looking for a cushion cut, G-H, 1.2-1.5 carat, VVSII - VS1.

If I decide to go with the Cushion H&A then I''ll def use GOG of course just have never seen one in person so not sure yet.

Ice Scream

Rough_Rock
I cannot comment on ERD; however, I did purchase a diamond from GOG last week. All I can say is that there customer service is awsome. I cannot comment on their cushions, since I bought a round. When I received the diamond though, it was everything I expected an more. They really give you a ton of information to let you know exactly what you are buying. They also are more than happy to answer any questions you have promptly and effectively.

Don''t take this as a knock on ERD, though. I have heard many good things about them. I have also heard that Mark and Jon are the best as far as cushion cuts go.

Good Luck!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both great vendors, to the best of my knowledge Jon at GOG supplies a bit more info than Mark, but Mark can supply photos and Idealscope images - I think it depends on what you are looking for and who has it!

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 8:35:56 AM
Author: Lorelei
I think it depends on what you are looking for and who has it!
That''s probably the basic jist of it. I''ve been in contact with Jon and Mark for awhile, trying to get a cushion for my gf''s engagement ring, and they''ve both been more than helpful and very informative.

Jon goes the more technical route to show you the pros/cons of a diamond. Mark uses the more "old school" approach of viewing a diamond and judges using his experience.

I went with Mark because I felt more comfortable with him and felt like he was more willing to make sure I was a satisfied customer, but either way I don''t think you can go wrong.

Todd Gray

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Both great vendors, to the best of my knowledge Jon at GOG supplies a bit more info than Mark, but Mark can supply photos and Idealscope images - I think it depends on what you are looking for and who has it!

Lorelei sums it up perfectly when she says "I think it depends on what you are looking for and who has it" because this is the conclusion that we''ve come to as vendors when we catch up with one another for dinner at a trade show... We''re all great vendors and most of us purchase diamonds from the same diamond cutters and are capable of providing the same in-depth quality of customer care, it is often simply a matter of which one of us managed to capture the diamond of your dreams from one of the cutters on any given day. Good Old Gold or Engagement Rings Direct? Both are excellent vendors.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
GOG hands down if your goal is a superbly cut stone

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 1:31:50 PM
Author: Todd Gray

Lorelei sums it up perfectly when she says ''I think it depends on what you are looking for and who has it'' because this is the conclusion that we''ve come to as vendors when we catch up with one another for dinner at a trade show... We''re all great vendors and most of us purchase diamonds from the same diamond cutters and are capable of providing the same in-depth quality of customer care, it is often simply a matter of which one of us managed to capture the diamond of your dreams from one of the cutters on any given day. Good Old Gold or Engagement Rings Direct? Both are excellent vendors.

Agreed! Having looked at stones with both Mark and Jon the choice came down to the stone I loved the most. For me that was Mark''s stone, but that''s not to say had i gone and looked at another time, that Jon wouldn''t have had a better stone for me. It all comes down to personal preference. I very much enjoyed working with both vendors...
As far as the pictures each provides... True that Mark''s pics aren''t so great... But in fairness I was slightly let down by Jon''s stone after seeing the great videos. So it could go either way.
5.gif

lowphat

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 1:50:25 PM
Author: bgray
GOG hands down if your goal is a superbly cut stone
LOL. I''d take any of BGray''s "advice" with a grain of salt.

magnus

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the info! So looks like I''ll be in good hands either way.

Pricing is pretty comparable at both places? Pretty much the same type of stone wouldn''t be marked up more at one place vs. the other.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/8/2009 3:15:59 PM
Author: magnus
Thanks for all the info! So looks like I''ll be in good hands either way.

Pricing is pretty comparable at both places? Pretty much the same type of stone wouldn''t be marked up more at one place vs. the other.
Yes absolutely. Both vendors are top notch and competitively priced.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamond is from GOG so I certainly can recommend them without reservation. They are having some new cushions cut in an old style but with fabulous symmetery and light performance. I''d wait for one of these if it was me (and I certainly WANT one!).

But like others said, it''ll all depend on which one has a stone that meets your requirements at the time you want to buy. Great cushions are not common, so you have to be willing to search for one!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have worked with both vendors and will recommend either of them. Mark is a great guy who is very patient - like others have said .. not as technical and poor photos but better prices and a great eye. GOG is more technical and has great tools and photos .. precision stones. You can''t go wrong with either.

It sounds like my diamond is just what you are looking for .. it may be for sale through GOG when I upgrade :razz:

magnus

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 5:47:06 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
My diamond is from GOG so I certainly can recommend them without reservation. They are having some new cushions cut in an old style but with fabulous symmetery and light performance. I''d wait for one of these if it was me (and I certainly WANT one!).

But like others said, it''ll all depend on which one has a stone that meets your requirements at the time you want to buy. Great cushions are not common, so you have to be willing to search for one!

Is this something I can contact them and ask about? I''ll be honest I''m not sure what it means to be "old style" but I''d take a look...

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock
I am not familiar with ERD, but last week we travelled to GOG - and OMG it was AWESOME!

Not only did Jonathan show us an incredible array of stones - he re-educated us and then let us play with any stone we requested. I have never felt more comfortable or in such good hands. Not only does he know what he''s talking about, he''s got the tools and ability to help you learn enough to know what you are talking about. He took the time to show us everything we needed to see and know to make a selection.

I''m happy to say that although I don''t know exactly which stone was selected, I would be happy with any of the stones in our final line up.

So, in short, they were honest, knew what they were talking about, educated us, and never went out of the range he and my BF had discussed (no upselling). I have a new jeweler even though they aren''t near me, we wouldn''t consider going anywhere else!

His family is great too (it seems every one in the family works there) - especially his mom :)

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/8/2009 7:37:43 PM
Author: magnus

Is this something I can contact them and ask about? I''ll be honest I''m not sure what it means to be ''old style'' but I''d take a look...
Yes, you can call and ask any and all questions you have. Old style means smaller table/higher crown, and big chunky facets with open culets that produce big, bold flashes, as opposed to larger table/lower crown with closed culets (or very small) and a more crushed ice/splintery look that produces smaller flashes.

Here''s a picture of my Old Mine Cut cushion, it''s over a hundred years old. This is "old style".

OMC4290.JPG

And here is a video with a newer cushion/cushette compared to GOG''s new "old style" cushion.

http://www.vimeo.com/5018428

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results