shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG Video of the week... First prototype OEC Diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really enjoyed watching this weeks video. Link Their prototype OEC cut looks gorgeous. I also love the cushion that featured on the video. Chunky facets anyone?
30.gif

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the link, Maisie. I''d get in a queue for one - it''s gorgeous! But I wonder how old cut OECs fare against these modern cut ones...

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I seriously want one of these, and one of their signiature cushions, but I''m on diamond restriction by my DH.
2.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 4:19:54 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
I seriously want one of these, and one of their signiature cushions, but I''m on diamond restriction by my DH.
2.gif
Me too! I love the cushions!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a dilemma! Here I have this perfect GOG H&A stone, but now I seriously want one of the new cushions and now the new OEC!!!! I can''t have 3 e-rings!!!! And I hate thinking of giving up my current stone to trade it in. But I really think the new antique style stones are more "me". Ugh!!!!

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I''m having trouble loading the video. HELP!!!!

All I get is "This week''s featured video" and then the pic of jubilee below. I''ve tried creating an account too and I still can''t get it to load.

suggestions??

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the kind words all. Yes we are extremely excited about both new designs & additions to our line. I am making some tweaks to the OEC which will impact its appearance in indoor diffuse/office lighting and thinking about adding a large culet. So far the private commentary I''ve gotten is to leave the culet pointed. What do you guys think?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 5:41:15 PM
Author: somethingshiny
I''m having trouble loading the video. HELP!!!!

All I get is ''This week''s featured video'' and then the pic of jubilee below. I''ve tried creating an account too and I still can''t get it to load.

suggestions??
You may need the most recent version of Flash. You can get that here. http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
post the direct link to the vid.
I am having the same problem on the homepage.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Karl! You get the best friend of the day award!!

Rhino-Thanks for the link, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. But, I was still able to see the video with the new links. I love OEC's and cushions and those are Awesome stones! I've never been a huge fan of H&A, but the hearts that are visible in the OEC are really nice (just for the romance for me). I'd like to see a large open culet on the OEC. I LOVE the outdoor ambient lighting for the OEC and cushion. I love the arrows that show on the OEC in indoor diffused lighting. The dim spotlighting isn't the best to judge the OEC with, so of course the H&A trumps the OEC with that lighting. The strong spotlighting is my favorite for fire on the OEC and cushion. But, I really like the way the older stones look in the ambient lighting, too. More of a "natural" look. Thanks for the great eye candy!!

eta~ after watching the second video--I happen to like the asymmetry of older stones, so I'm often paying more attention to the OEC's than to the GOG OEC specifically with the .64 M just because of the unusual flashes. The 1.3 is the BEST OEC I think I've ever seen! It's gorgeous! In the outdoor lighting, the GOG was miles ahead of all but the 1.3 stone. And, HOLY FLASH at the end of the second video!

Congratulations on such a great cut!! It would take a helluva OEC to compete with GOG's.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 5:41:42 PM
Author: Rhino
Thanks for the kind words all. Yes we are extremely excited about both new designs & additions to our line. I am making some tweaks to the OEC which will impact its appearance in indoor diffuse/office lighting and thinking about adding a large culet. So far the private commentary I''ve gotten is to leave the culet pointed. What do you guys think?
I prefer a small to medium sized culet, but I don''t miss it too much in this prototype. Kozibe effect is one of the fun things I love about the OECs I own.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2009 4:19:54 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier
2.gif

As long as this still means you can get colored stones
9.gif
9.gif

I am sooooo loving those OECs... sigh
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is amazing as is, but I do love culets, too! I think maybe leave it alone (pointed) on this one but always have a nice one on the cushions! I''d want my two stones to look a little different from each other.

icekid

Ideal_Rock

I like an open cutlet too.... yum!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

So many diamonds, so little time! Love them all--pack them up for me! Was that new chunky round an I1?? I must have it!

cheers--Sharon

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jonathan, very impressive. We must think that the original Tolkowsky models were much more like these old cut models than the current style of cutting. I think these represent a wonderful choice for consumers? Please look at the AGA OEC chart and without giving up any proprietary information let us know if these diamonds pretty well fit the top grades listed on this chart from the early 1990''s that I have used for many years now.

Another curious question is hwo do these grade with AGS? Have you submitted any? What do you think the cut grade from AGS might be? Can you post an I-S image for them?
Glad to run a few for you on Imagem so you can make a comparison for reference, too.

THANKS.

chrt5modified.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve only watched the "prototype" video that Maisie linked, but I loved what I saw. It was nice to be able to compare the modern and chunky cuts side by side under different lighting condition. For me, I think I''d consider the new OECs for a stone that I could look at -- i.e., one set in a ring. I love the interplay of shapes and changing patterns, things that are easier to pick out in the new old cut than in the more modern cut. I also like the idea of individual flashes of light rather than a massed blaze (for staring purposes again
2.gif
); a disco ball rther than a fire ball, as it were. But for earrings, where you''re counting on fairly small stones to make their presence known from some distance away, I think I''d prefer the modern round brilliant.

Anyhow, thanks for providing another OEC option. I wish you much success with your new cut!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! I want one! But I could settle for the 1.30 G/VS2.
11.gif

As for the culet, I''m ambivalent. I think it looks great how it is, but I also love to see a small-medium culet in an OEC. I prefer a larger culet in an OMC/antique cushion instead of an OEC.

sazza

Rough_Rock
I have to say in the indoor dim and spot lighting the new OEC is really a show stealer. My eyes were more drawn to the huge flashes of light than to the smaller ones from the H&A.

I wonder if my husband would notice if I switched my diamond with that one...?

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I think these OECs are to die for! Jon .. you are not good for the pocket book with all these beauties you dangle in front of me!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
1. When will these marvelous creatures be available?
27.gif

2. Please, please, please cut them in small sizes -- .30-.50?
17.gif

3. Unless the 1 ct F-H variety is under 1K -- will continue to DREAM ON!
31.gif
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
CULET!

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 6:19:57 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Thanks, Karl! You get the best friend of the day award!!

Rhino-Thanks for the link, but that doesn''t seem to be the problem. But, I was still able to see the video with the new links. I love OEC''s and cushions and those are Awesome stones! I''ve never been a huge fan of H&A, but the hearts that are visible in the OEC are really nice (just for the romance for me). I''d like to see a large open culet on the OEC. I LOVE the outdoor ambient lighting for the OEC and cushion. I love the arrows that show on the OEC in indoor diffused lighting. The dim spotlighting isn''t the best to judge the OEC with, so of course the H&A trumps the OEC with that lighting. The strong spotlighting is my favorite for fire on the OEC and cushion. But, I really like the way the older stones look in the ambient lighting, too. More of a ''natural'' look. Thanks for the great eye candy!!

eta~ after watching the second video--I happen to like the asymmetry of older stones, so I''m often paying more attention to the OEC''s than to the GOG OEC specifically with the .64 M just because of the unusual flashes. The 1.3 is the BEST OEC I think I''ve ever seen! It''s gorgeous! In the outdoor lighting, the GOG was miles ahead of all but the 1.3 stone. And, HOLY FLASH at the end of the second video!

Congratulations on such a great cut!! It would take a helluva OEC to compete with GOG''s.

Thanks Shiny. I take your comments to heart and we are on the same frequency my friend because there are times the 1.3 has advantages over our signature diamond and it is the best features in that diamond I will be altering to the signature diamond which I expect to see in our next prototypes. As you note the fire isn''t the issue, its brightness in certain lighting and my aim in the next prototypes is to take on the best features of both and incorporate them into the next batch prototype.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Open culet please. I currently have a large culet on mine and it isn''t noticeable enough.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings Dave,

Thanks for your questions. Answers between the lines.

Date: 6/6/2009 7:16:45 PM
Author: oldminer
Jonathan, very impressive. We must think that the original Tolkowsky models were much more like these old cut models than the current style of cutting. I think these represent a wonderful choice for consumers?

I think so. This product was born for 2 reasons. The first is my passion for the older cut styles and the broad bold flash I love in the older styled cuts when they are proportioned correctly. You''re right on when you say the original Tolkowsky diamonds were modeled more similarly because back then those diamonds had the shorter lower half facets just as these do. The 2nd reason is I also love variety. =D Quite honestly I don''t get many calls for OEC rounds because they''ve generally never been a primary draw to our site as high cut quality modern rounds have been but I know there are chunky broad flash lovers out there and this is a genuine experiment and effort to see if these are really in the demand that I think they will be. So far response has been very positive to these first prototypes which is encouraging me to continue in this project.

Please look at the AGA OEC chart and without giving up any proprietary information let us know if these diamonds pretty well fit the top grades listed on this chart from the early 1990''s that I have used for many years now.

These first two prototypes I had modeled to 35 degree crown angles along with 40.8 pavilion angles. The next two coming in will be 34.5/40.8 as well as a 35/41 combo so these first two fall within your specs (as will the next 2). Something I am learning from this experience Dave is the intimate and more important relationship that exists between the upper and lower half facets and their impact upon face up appearance. I realize the importance of the relationship of the mains but I am learning and understanding moreso why diamonds took on the longer lgf length as time moved on, particularly within Tolkowsky''s proportions. This is a great learning experience for me in my journey into understanding diamond optics to a deeper and greater degree.

Another curious question is hwo do these grade with AGS? Have you submitted any? What do you think the cut grade from AGS might be? Can you post an I-S image for them?

Glad to run a few for you on Imagem so you can make a comparison for reference, too.
THANKS.

In my clip I show the IS image as well as the ASET. Quite frankly I am not looking at AGS light performance grading for one primary reason. A main feature of the AGS light performance grade is based on blue in the ASET representing head/body obstruction. Truth is blue on the mains in the ASET doesn''t always accurately represent head/body obstruction in the most typical lighting. Ie. Just because mains show up as blue in ASET doesn''t mean they will always be dark in real world observation. (Blue on the lower halves however is a different story). In round diamonds with short lower half facets the mains will be wide and show LOTS of blue. For that reason it will naturally take a hit in the AGS cut grading system. If that accurately represented represented head/body shadow it would be a guide for me in my design and production but at this point it isn''t. If you looked at the Octonus results (via DiamCalc or Gem Advisor) you would accurately see the mains lighting up. I can post this for you if you like. FYI these first prototypes get about a 5-6 on the AGS PGS. Once I am 110% settled on the exact angles/%''s of all facet sets (table, mains, halves & stars) I will be happy to submit some examples for you to run on the Imagem.

Kindest regards,

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/6/2009 6:43:32 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

So many diamonds, so little time! Love them all--pack them up for me! Was that new chunky round an I1?? I must have it!

cheers--Sharon

Sorry but this one is already gone.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results