shape
carat
color
clarity

GOG buying questions....

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Just wondering from those who've bought a stone from GOG - have you ever requested a megascope, sarin or any other type of report that is not on the diamond info page? If so, how long did it take for GOG to get those report for you? Is it normal for people to ask for these kind of report on top of the AGS/GIA certificate?

I am currently in the process of purchasing an AVR and the stone I'm buying only has ASET & DiamXray image on it's info page. I have requested for a megascope & a sarin report, as well as asking if the stone is AGS0 in cut and it's been awhile (requested about a month ago while deciding if we should buy and requested again after payments on the 16th)...
Is it normal to take this long to get these type of report? I'm just getting a bit nervous as I spend a lot of effort convincing my FI to buy from GOG because of how good their cut is etc etc (and how much I LOVE the AVR CUT!! haha :love: :love: :love:) instead of from Australia or from his cousin's friend who is a diamond cutter and can give us a great price....
It wouldn't be because they are having trouble obtaining a good report would they? I'm not sure what I would do if the report doesn't come back as ideal... seeing as how I'm overseas and can't really say "Stuff the reports!! I love the stone!! I'm buying it!!!" as I can't see it in person and therefore have to rely on the reports as tools :(sad

Meanwhile I'll try not to worry too much by asking questions here!! :angel:

Other questions:
- Is it normal for people to request for a megascope & a sarin report? I'm a bit confused as some stone has all the Isee2 report, megascope & Sarin...etc, while some don't.
- How long does it normally take to produce these kind of reports?
- Do the AVR & AVC only come in a AGS certificate?
- Also I think I saw posts from people who've bought a AVR/AVC also received a AGS Proprietary performace certificate (not sure), does that apply to all AVR & AVC? or just AVC? or just selective stones that are really well cut?
- when buying a stone from GOG, what should consumer expect to receive in the package?
- Can someone overseas (not from US) who bought from GOG share their experience? How did you find their service and were you well informed? Did you love your stone or had a change of mind?? Just anything you can share from your overseas buying experience :D

I think this thread/info would be really useful to future overseas buyers as I have been wondering all these things for a very long time, even after payments, but didn't feel like I should approach GOG with all these questions (I'm shy ::)). In the end I love the AVR too much to let these questions to stop me from buying but thinking back now this can be a bad decision if you are not informed.

Thanks in advance and for taking your time to read this :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you should properly address most of these questions to GOG themselves.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1414390559|3773203 said:
I think you should properly address most of these questions to GOG themselves.

She said she already did ... "about a month ago".

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't answer to all of the technical report stuff, but does GOG not make lots of videos of their stones for purchasers to see? I'm sure I've seen several on youtube which look to be very informative. At least that way you can see the stone for yourself and even compare it to anything else you might be considering.

AstonMartin

Rough_Rock
We have recently purchased (although it is not yet delivered) from them.

I am happy to report that we have had great service thus far and I am over-the-moon with them.

With respect to not having an email enquiry responded to, I would say, (and this is not from personal experience with the company but my personal experience as a busy attorney) - follow up!! If an email hasn't been responded to in over a month chances are the email may be lost in the email sea. I often get over 100 emails a day. I will often see/ respond/ file most of them, but some of them can slip through the cracks and take longer to respond to.

I would think that a call (if possible - I know you said you're over seas) and/ or a few follow up emails would be helpful.

I can't respond to all your other questions, but I know that I've enjoyed the experience and hope you do too.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP - I'm a bit confused by your post - have you actually purchased the stone in question from GOG, or "reserved" it by paying a deposit? If so, you should have received an email from a GOG sales rep after your purchase/deposit -- is that the person to whom you sent your email request for more images? Or, is there a stone you're interested in, and you just sent in an email to their general email address?

In any of these cases, a month is definitely too long to wait for a response - if you've received zero response to your email requesting more images, you should definitely email again (and I would do so by forwarding your original email to them, so they can follow up on their end as to why your initial inquiry was ignored).

If you received a reply to your email, the GOG response should have addressed your request for more images, including a time-line. If the response did not include a time-frame, please email GOG again.

In general, after I send an email to a vendor, I wait about a week for a response. If I don't get a response, I'll send the email again by forwarding the original email and letting them know I sent the email the week before but haven't received a reply. At that point, I usually get a reply within 2 business days.

(In my personal experience with GOG over the last several years, I've always received timely replies to my emails, whether sent to the general sales email address or to a specific person)

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
Use either Skype or GoogleTalk and call Good Old Gold.

Speak with David or Jon, let them know you're from Pricescope, and update them on the situation.

Be sure to speak with someone on the phone - don't just leave a message.

You will get a quick response that way.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
mellow|1414388898|3773200 said:
Other questions:
- Is it normal for people to request for a megascope & a sarin report? I'm a bit confused as some stone has all the Isee2 report, megascope & Sarin...etc, while some don't.
People ask.
It is normal not to offer them on propitiatory or patented cuts which the AVR is.
I do not offer or allow them to be offered with an Octavia.
It is like a high end restaurant not giving away their recipes when you order a meal.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A month is to long for a reply and out of the norm for them, contact them again your email may have got lost. It happens.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1414442202|3773494 said:
Other questions:
People ask.
It is normal not to offer them on propitiatory or patented cuts which the AVR is.
It is like a high end restaurant not giving away their recipes when you order a meal.

Thanks Karl, that makes perfect sense.
I was wondering about that too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Other questions:
People ask.
Some Octavia are posted with sarin and mega report but some aren't.. :confused:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10725/

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, that was very informative Karl but now DF confused me. As to OP, you definitely should follow up as this is not normal, allow one week max. and then the email was most likely lost. You should probably go ahead and call instead of emailing and then if you want you can confirm by email too. I am sure that this was not intentional. It happens and that is why after a week you should try to contact again.

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! :hand:

By no means is this post a complain, I just thought I would ask if people know what the norms are for buying a diamond from GOG (or from other well known vendors) and what they should expect. See for example Karl said it is not normal to offer the megascope/sarin reports on AVR as they are proprietary & patented. I didn't know that, and I doubt many people who are buying their first diamond would know that...
When I was looking through previous posts and deciding which AVR to buy I was confuse. Are people receiving a Proprietary performace certificate because they are a regular customer? Is it because they requested it? Do you only get it if you request it? Or Is it because the stone is so spectacular in cut that GOG thought it's a good idea to show it with the certificate? Why do some stone shows with megascope and some don't? I didn't feel like it was appropriate to ask them these questions and I can't really explain why I feel that way. I guess I feel that asking them questions like this it's kinda like going into a shop and ask, 'hey, why does this dress come with a belt and all these accessories and those one over here doesn't??' In this instance the customer might feel bad about asking if they could have the accessories too because they are not sure what the norm is (bad analogy I know, but can't think of a better one). As a consumer sometimes you just go with what they give you, sometimes you can ask for a thing or two more but not with all these questions that I have!! So I thought I would just ask them here and maybe someone will know the answer.

marymm|1414419533|3773310 said:
OP - I'm a bit confused by your post - have you actually purchased the stone in question from GOG, or "reserved" it by paying a deposit? If so, you should have received an email from a GOG sales rep after your purchase/deposit -- is that the person to whom you sent your email request for more images? Or, is there a stone you're interested in, and you just sent in an email to their general email address?

I have actually purchased the stone in full last week. I put in the deposit a month ago and that was when I asked for the reports.
To be fair they held the stone a lot longer for me, way more than their 72 hours policy which was really nice of them. It wasn't until after about 1 week or more I think? till my FI finally decide to buy. So maybe during that time frame they were holding the report off in case we weren't gonna buy the stone and waste their time, OR they were just really busy..

OVincze|1414451839|3773586 said:
Yes, that was very informative Karl but now DF confused me. As to OP, you definitely should follow up as this is not normal, allow one week max. and then the email was most likely lost. You should probably go ahead and call instead of emailing and then if you want you can confirm by email too. I am sure that this was not intentional. It happens and that is why after a week you should try to contact again.

We followed up with an email after payments which was a little over a week ago and we sent another email last Friday night but haven't receive a response yet which is very understandable since it's only been a day and they are close on Sunday & Monday. I will give them a call Tuesday morning.
If what Karl say is true, that patented cut such as the AVR will already have a AGS proprietary light performance certificate and that it is normal not to offer megascope & sarin, then I'll just tell them know not to worry about it. Assuming the AGS light performance report means its the stone is AGS0 in cut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The AVR is a specialty cut and is cut to have great light performance. As you can see in my avatar picture, I own one. The AGS report and the ASET or diamxray (similar to idealscope) are all that I think are necessary on these stones. The ASET and diamonxray show the light return and minimal leakage, so I cannot think of anything else that I would consider necessary other than I did have them do a video for me. This is all I really need for any diamond, actually.

AVR's are not graded for cut through AGS, but AVC's are. As I said, the ASET shows what is needed to determine cut quality. I consider them some of the best cut stones in the world, and I do not believe the items you request prove anything further than already proven by the images provided. A megascope certainly isn't a big deal, in my opinion. I can't think of any other PS vendors that do those at all.

In my package I received the diamond, the AGS report, and a GOG insurance appraisal.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dancing Fire|1414451523|3773585 said:
Other questions:
People ask.
Some Octavia are posted with sarin and mega report but some aren't.. :confused:
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/10725/
The megascope report isn't showing the angles, I was not aware that was an option.
The angles that show in the pgs aren't all of them but more than I like.
There isn't enough information there to reverse engineer it like a full sarin file/report would show.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1414458591|3773637 said:
The AVR is a specialty cut and is cut to have great light performance. As you can see in my avatar picture, I own one. The AGS report and the ASET or diamxray (similar to idealscope) are all that I think are necessary on these stones. The ASET and diamonxray show the light return and minimal leakage, so I cannot think of anything else that I would consider necessary other than I did have them do a video for me. This is all I really need for any diamond, actually.

AVR's are not graded for cut through AGS, but AVC's are. As I said, the ASET shows what is needed to determine cut quality. I consider them some of the best cut stones in the world, and I do not believe the items you request prove anything further than already proven by the images provided. A megascope certainly isn't a big deal, in my opinion. I can't think of any other PS vendors that do those at all.

In my package I received the diamond, the AGS report, and a GOG insurance appraisal.

If ASET & DiamXray is all that is needed to assess a stone, then why offer/use megascope or sarin report in the first place? What is the purpose of GOG showing them on their website for their AVRs & AVCs if they are already cut for ideal light performance? I assume it's part of their business strategies to differentiate themselves and to help people who are not experienced/confident (like me) to judge a stone just by using ASET, for people who live far away and cannot see the diamond and give them more assurance, and also less chance for people to have buyer's remorse..?

To you ASET & DiamXray might be enough but you had many diamond experience, you also had the luxury to have the stone send to you from GOG and you get to see and compare, and sent back when you don't like it. A lot of us overseas buyers can't do that.

Again I'm not taking it for granted that GOG have to provide these reports for all their diamonds, they already granted my request so I don't have a problem with that. I just want to know what is the norm and what should consumer expect. For example is it only the older cut diamond that has megascope and the new one doesn't? Or what is it?? I just want to know because I was very serious in wanting to purchase the AVR and am honestly confused.

Also, when you said that AVR are not graded for cut through AGS but AVCs are, do you mean that only AVCs will have AGS0 proprietary light performance certificate and AVR will only have the normal AGS cert much like a GIA one? Sorry if I'm getting things mixed up in this question...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what you are doing wrong is the timing of your emails. Email them tonight our time (I am an Aussie as well) otherwise your emails go to the bottom of the list they are usually flat out busy Saturdays and no-one is there Sunday or Monday and we are a day ahead of them.

They are usually prompt at answering emails once you know when to email them and who to email, if you don't get anyone try someone else's email which you will find on their website or email Jon directly and ask all your questions, mention that you are in Australia and want all the paperwork to be in order. Sometimes when they get new stones in they have not always gotten everything done for them.

I seriously doubt you have purchased a dud AVR - I don't think there are dud AVRs :lol: I've owned an AVC and it came with a full package a folder type thing with all of the info on the stone in it.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mellow|1414468335|3773700 said:
diamondseeker2006|1414458591|3773637 said:

If ASET & DiamXray is all that is needed to assess a stone, then why offer/use megascope or sarin report in the first place? What is the purpose of GOG showing them on their website for their AVRs & AVCs if they are already cut for ideal light performance? I assume it's part of their business strategies to differentiate themselves and to help people who are not experienced/confident (like me) to judge a stone just by using ASET, for people who live far away and cannot see the diamond and give them more assurance, and also less chance for people to have buyer's remorse..?

To you ASET & DiamXray might be enough but you had many diamond experience, you also had the luxury to have the stone send to you from GOG and you get to see and compare, and sent back when you don't like it. A lot of us overseas buyers can't do that.

Again I'm not taking it for granted that GOG have to provide these reports for all their diamonds, they already granted my request so I don't have a problem with that. I just want to know what is the norm and what should consumer expect. For example is it only the older cut diamond that has megascope and the new one doesn't? Or what is it?? I just want to know because I was very serious in wanting to purchase the AVR and am honestly confused.

Also, when you said that AVR are not graded for cut through AGS but AVCs are, do you mean that only AVCs will have AGS0 proprietary light performance certificate and AVR will only have the normal AGS cert much like a GIA one? Sorry if I'm getting things mixed up in this question...

I feel for you! For international buyers, shipping and returns are more complicated and risky, it can be a little intimidating. I bought my AVR at GOG, but only because I had a business trip to NY and could go see them in person. I doubt I would have made that initial purchase if I had not been in NY. Having said that, I was informed that GOG does sell and ship internationally quite frequently, which is reassuring. I would say that their service is very friendly and helpful and I would not hesitate to buy from them again, but I might wait until I have another trip to NY (or until I feel more confident in reading the online info and photos).

I made my purchase based on the diamonds I saw in person, so I did not rely on ASET / Megascope, etc., but I was also puzzled when doing prior research on their website as different AVRs had different information available (some had ASET, some had Megascope, some had ISEE2). I'm not sure why that is (if the concern is IP rights), since they are all AVRs and supposedly all cut for max performance. Why have different evaluation tools for different AVRs? (sorry, I'm a diamond newbie so this is all very confusing to me)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can add is that I do not believe a megascope adds anything over what is already provided (just confirms what we know from the ASET), but I am glad they did one since it was important to you. When one is unable to physically see the stone in hand before buying, the video is the best help you will have after the initial picture and ASET. The main reason I needed to see them in person was because I was uncertain of size and color and there were multiple stones that were possibilities . Size and color cannot be assessed well by video. But that would be true of all diamonds and not specifically AVRs. All I can tell you is that if you love an OEC style cut and outstanding precision cutting (by hand) with great light performance, you'll love AVRs. I loved every single one I looked at, and I guess I have probably seen more than anyone that hasn't visited the store! My ultimate decision was based on color and size.

I look forward to seeing your finished ring! :appl:

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Greetings everyone and especially mellow.

Thank you all for the kind words.

The reason why some have Mega's and other's don't? It is possible the machine may have been down for some reason on the day we were scanning it in. I never mind showing data and information as long as proprietary stuff isn't and the MegaScope doesn't show anything proprietary in it's Report so I have no problem sharing that.

As Karl pointed out I think we'd pretty much share any information that would help give our clients peace of mind short of revealing proprietary secrets. If there are any questions anyone would like to have answered please feel free to ask.

Kindest regards,
Rhino

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Some posts have been removed, a reminder that we do not allow trade to bash each other. Please keep it off the forums.

drk14

Brilliant_Rock
mellow|1414468335|3773700 said:
Again I'm not taking it for granted that GOG have to provide these reports for all their diamonds, they already granted my request so I don't have a problem with that. I just want to know what is the norm and what should consumer expect.
My take on this is that GOG's diamond prices tend to be a bit higher than some of the other vendors precisely because of the large amount of imaging and analysis that they do for potential and actual customers (which results in higher overhead expenses for them). Therefore, because these types of services are built into their business model, you should have no compunctions asking GOG for any type of scan or image that would be helpful to you -- if there is a good reason they cannot provide something that you have requested (e.g., proprietary information), I am sure they will explain why.

Now that Jonathan has seen this thread, I hope that you have received a response to your emails. Good luck!

evil_unicorn

Rough_Rock
Hello and thank you for the posts everybody!

I rang GOG first thing in the morning and they got the megascope ready within 15 mins! So quick!! :angel: :angel: :angel:

And now the shipping!! I Can't WAIT to get the stone in my hand! :D :naughty: :naughty:

Jon, could you also confirm that the AVRs won't be able to get an AGS cut grade Certificate like the AVCs do? Darren mentioned that it is not available for AVRs, but only the modern round brilliants. Are there plans for AVRs to get a cut grade certificate like AVCs? If so, will older buyer like myself be able to get a new cut grade certificate too once you guys got it ready?

Many thanks for answering my questions~ ::)

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good morning mellow.

mellow|1414561859|3774274 said:
Hello and thank you for the posts everybody!

I rang GOG first thing in the morning and they got the megascope ready within 15 mins! So quick!! :angel: :angel: :angel:

And now the shipping!! I Can't WAIT to get the stone in my hand! :D :naughty: :naughty:

Can't wait for you to see it live!

Jon, could you also confirm that the AVRs won't be able to get an AGS cut grade Certificate like the AVCs do? Darren mentioned that it is not available for AVRs, but only the modern round brilliants. Are there plans for AVRs to get a cut grade certificate like AVCs? If so, will older buyer like myself be able to get a new cut grade certificate too once you guys got it ready?
Many thanks for answering my questions~ ::)

In brief yes and yes. When I was working with AGS after we had finalized the AVC design we did have some debate specifically regarding the culet but after some back and forth they conceded my point and the AVC was offically Ideal and they gave me retroactive reports indicating such. On the AVR, I've sent multiple emails but since the gentleman who was spearheading these projects no longer works with AGS I think my case has been put aside. I honestly don't know what's going on there or why it hasn't been investigated more. If things come to a conclusion and new Reports issued (even retroactive) you'll get a new Report.

Regardless mellow ... I personally stand behind the products with Lifetime Policies as these were designed with the best optical technologies available on the market today coupled with my intimate knowledge of the most conservative cut grading systems. This means you are never stuck. :) Most importantly we want you to be 110% satisfied with your diamond & shopping experience with us.

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results