shape
carat
color
clarity

Girlfriend Threw Me a Curveball

The girlfriend and I have recently decided we are ready for marriage. Prior to the recent search I have had no experience/knowledge when it comes to diamonds/engagement rings. I've recently started doing some research (shapes, settings, 4Cs, etc) and thought I had an idea of what my girlfriend wanted. I planned to completely surprise her, but after talking more about the engagement we decided to go shopping for rings. We went to a local mall with no intentions to buy from a mall jeweler( Kay, Reeds, etc) to just get an idea of the style of diamond/ring she likes. Up to this point I have done most of my research on round cut diamonds with a split shank halo setting. She mentioned she really liked that style ring from TV commercials. Well after visiting a few jewelers she fell in love with the ring below.

http://www.reeds.com/Three-Stone-Diamond-Halo-Engagement-Ring-7-8ctw-plu19291285.html

She says she would be happy with this ring, but I really wanted to get her something of higher quality. I've done some searching online and I am having trouble finding a similar setting. I have found a few, but I am not sure how reputable the merchants are. Searching bluenile or whiteflash I find a few settings I think she will be happy with, but definitely not the same design.

I need help finding a setting similar to the link above at Reeds. Essentially I am looking for a three stone emerald halo ring. I would prefer platinum, but open to white gold as well. An alternative setting would be split shank halo with an emerald center stone. My total budget is $5-8k. I am considering a center stone of 0.75-0.90 ct.

Thanks in advanced for the help!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,
Just you be clear you are after a 3 stone emerald ring with one emerald in the middle surrounded by pave and two sides also surrounded by pave? Because your linked ring is what we call and illusion type ring it has a smaller emerald in the middle and is then surrounded by 4 round brilliants and 4 smaller baguette cuts and then pave. The centre diamond is only .25 of a carat and the whole thing included the pave is under a carat.

Has she ever indicated she wants or also likes, or shown you pics of a single emerald cut in the middle and a split shank style setting or are you just guessing she would like that as well?

Sorry for the confusion...my ignorance of diamonds is shining brighter than the diamond itself! (yes that was corny, but I had to say it) Yes that is what I am after, but I think she would equally like 3 emeralds similar to the link below. I actually think the ring below is almost perfect. She has also mentioned she likes low profile settings. She works in a lab and has to frequently wear gloves. If I google "3 stone emerald halo" plenty of options come up, but once again I am unsure who is a reputable merchant and who is not.

http://www.themenagerie.com/product_p/jj-r8329.htm

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know if she likes the split shank settings as well or is that a guess? Because setting wise they are probably going to be cheaper than a three stone with a halo...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I'm trying to think of some designers that do a three stone emerald halo. Simon g is the most affordable that come to mind, but they will still be about 5 k before the center stone.

Here's one, go look around their site for more including a split shank one.

There is a vendor here that sells this brand.
http://www.simongjewelry.com/wps/portal/SimonG/products/MR2386/RING

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I wanted to add. She most likely won't want to wear any ring with that much pave with surgical gloves.

They make nice necklaces that allow you to pop a ring on and off them very easily without having to take the necklace off... Probably something you'll want to look into.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1425076764|3839381 said:
So I'm trying to think of some designers that do a three stone emerald halo. Simon g is the most affordable that come to mind, but they will still be about 5 k before the center stone.

Here's one, go look around their site for more including a split shank one.

There is a vendor here that sells this brand.
http://www.simongjewelry.com/wps/portal/SimonG/products/MR2386/RING

Yes this is going to be the issue most of the decent three stone haloed settings out there are going to be out of budget IMHO. You might be better off going for a single nice sized centre EC and putting it in a split shank halo.

Lizabeth

Rough_Rock
I'd check with David Klass. My guess is he could create a setting like this for a lot less than +$4500.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree. I have seen pictures of the Simon G three stone emerald cut halo ring and it is gorgeous. But in reality, you need closer $10k to do that ring since the setting costs around $5k. I agree that a single halo is going to make more sense.

Ritani makes beautiful and good quality halo settings. This one is a single shank, but it is beautiful. Whiteflash carries Ritani and could source you a well cut emerald cut stone.

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/ritani-emerald-french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-3359.htm

WF could also order this one which has a partial split shank. It should work for emerald cut, too.

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond--v--band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/10616

I'll see if I can find any more.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1425080647|3839431 said:
They'll probably charge you a $150 non refundable fee or something, but I'd as if JA can make this for an emerald cut.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/halo/14k-split-shank-princess-shape-diamond-halo-engagement-ring-item-49477

I'm not the best at emeralds, but here's a few that might work (others feel free to comment)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.02-carat-f-color-vs1-clarity-sku-166062

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.98-carat-d-color-vs1-clarity-sku-460035

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1425083259|3839453 said:
arkieb1|1425081477|3839436 said:

Ha, I just looked those up, too! I strongly prefer the Amavida one. Good Old Gold carries those and they also are very good at sourcing good emerald cut stones.

The Amavida one is the favourite of mine of all the suggestions so far as well!!! Very pretty it and Niel's suggestion of the Simon G ring - which is beautiful as well but I think more should be spent in the centre diamond and its false economics to spend that much on the Simon G setting in this case.

There isn't much in GOGs inventory at the moment in ECs, he would have to get them to find something unless she likes this;

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/14k-white-gold-halo-step-cut-engagement-ring.html

The Amavida may be my favorite I've seen thus far. I think she would love that... If I decide that's the one how do I go about acquiring it? Do i need to find my closest Gabriel and Co retailer? Do I contact good old gold to get it?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASTROCREEP|1425352641|3841007 said:
The Amavida may be my favorite I've seen thus far. I think she would love that... If I decide that's the one how do I go about acquiring it? Do i need to find my closest Gabriel and Co retailer? Do I contact good old gold to get it?

Good Old Gold has a good track record of finding fancy cut diamond including emerald cuts. I would have them call in a few diamonds for you, and they will make you a video of them. Then they will have the diamond set in the Gabriel setting and send the ring to you complete. This is by far the least complicated way to do it. That is really a pretty setting and the finished ring would be gorgeous! I think you're going to need to go to the higher end of your budget for this to really work, though. It would be good if they could find you a diamond in the .90 range as there usually is a price jump at one carat. But ask if the setting can work with a diamond slightly smaller than a carat. Then a couple of months before the wedding, you can order the matching straight wedding band.

My son-in-law's brother got engaged a few months ago, and she wanted a princess cut in the same setting design. I directed him to GOG and he got her diamond and Gabriel setting there. They just got the wedding band a couple of weeks ago and are getting married in early April!

What do you guys think of this one?

https://eshop.gabrielny.com/product/ER7269W44JJ

Right now I am in between the ring above and the Amavida posted earlier. The ring above is also listed at Good Old Gold. If you include the cost of the matching wedding bands the two rings come out close to the same (~$4.2k). Including a center stone around $4-5k and these rings are at the top of my budget. Thing that irks me is I want to surprise her, but then again I want to get her input given this is a huge purchase.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASTROCREEP|1426546929|3848230 said:

Right now I am in between the ring above and the Amavida posted earlier. The ring above is also listed at Good Old Gold. If you include the cost of the matching wedding bands the two rings come out close to the same (~$4.2k). Including a center stone around $4-5k and these rings are at the top of my budget. Thing that irks me is I want to surprise her, but then again I want to get her input given this is a huge purchase.

I like the Amavida much better plus If I was going to spend $4k on a setting I would think about getting it custom made by
VC or SK...in other words I wouldnt pay $4k for a Gabriel ring.

That fisrt stone that Neil posted is gorgeous!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1426548059|3848237 said:
ASTROCREEP|1426546929|3848230 said:

I like the Amavida much better plus If I was going to spend $4k on a setting I would think about getting it custom made by
VC or SK...in other words I wouldnt pay $4k for a Gabriel ring.

That fisrt stone that Neil posted is gorgeous!!!

I agree 100% with the bolded part. Are you going to ask GOG to call in some EC diamonds for you?

Oh, and you do not have to order the wedding band now unless it will be a short engagement. You can order it a couple of months before the wedding. Use the money you have now for the engagement ring.

I planned to contact GOG to check on EC diamonds on me, but if i wanted could i get the diamond Neil listed and get the setting from GOG?

I'm not concerned about money available now vs later for the wedding band. The Amavida+wedding band is $4160 while the other is $4340. I guess I could find a lower cost band for the Amavida?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASTROCREEP|1426551395|3848262 said:
I planned to contact GOG to check on EC diamonds on me, but if i wanted could i get the diamond Neil listed and get the setting from GOG?

I'm not concerned about money available now vs later for the wedding band. The Amavida+wedding band is $4160 while the other is $4340. I guess I could find a lower cost band for the Amavida?

Do you not like the spit shake setting from JA?

The only thing I do not like about the JA is the shank thickness. She has mentioned she likes the shanks to be thinner.

EDIT: when I say shank thickness I am referring to the "bandwidth" as defined by Gabriel & Co

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as surprising her just show her the rings you are thinking about in with some others that you know she wont like, she will tell you what she likes or doesn't like about each it will still be a surprise as to which one she will get.

So I showed her a list of rings I knew she would and would not like. Turns out she likes radiant cut diamonds better than emerald! She likes that its a rectangular shape like the emerald yet has more of a sparkle. After going through the list of diamonds I know what I am looking for. A radiant cut center stone on a split shank halo preferably with a thinner shank and minimal design of the gallery. By minimal design of the gallery I mean more like the ring posted previously below rather than like the Amavida. The only thing I do not like about the ring below is how short the split or "V" is. I think the ring posted earlier from JA is a real possibility if it can be set with a radiant cut. I did see a different option on JA, but the shank appears pretty thick to me. Sorry for being so picky, but I truly appreciate everyone's help!

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-r...ond--v--band-engagement-ring-in-platinum/5090

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, gosh, I have to say finding great radiants is even more challenging than finding a good emerald cut! I'll see what is around. I still might recommend having GOG source some since they can evaluate light return for you. There are some DUD radiants, I assure you.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, so many curve balls!
Let me look here. :think:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And she definitely wants a white diamond?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results