shape
carat
color
clarity

Girdle thin to slightly thick?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ring a ring

Rough_Rock
Is this a bad diamond - sounds weird to my newbie brain
19.gif
?

Ring a ring

Rough_Rock
so varying girdle thickness is all a matter of brilliancescope report rather than appearance of the diamond to the naked eye?

Ring a ring

Rough_Rock
Umm...so it doesn''t matter what that the girdle thickness of a particular diamond is variable as long as it has a good light return? Some of the diamonds I''ve seen listed on the net have a girdle listed as thin to very thick - can I see this? Does the diamond look lopsided or weird?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2005 2:56:31 AM
Author: Ring a ring
Umm...so it doesn't matter what that the girdle thickness of a particular diamond is variable as long as it has a good light return? Some of the diamonds I've seen listed on the net have a girdle listed as thin to very thick - can I see this? Does the diamond look lopsided or weird?

Ok I understand where you are coming from.

Most diamonds are so small that these variances would be very difficult to see with the naked eye. They are issues of durability (ex thin) and performance/hidden weight (thick+).

In general, thin, medium and slightly thick girdles are fine (defined in the thread linked above).
A variance spanning one or two descriptors (thin to medium, or thin to slightly thick) is acceptable.

If it spans three or four descriptors it bears examination, particularly if the range is 'extremely thin to medium,' for instance: The medium is ok, but investigation is wise to determine where - and how much of the girdle - may be ranging down to that danger zone of ex thin. Something like 'very thin to thick' would certainly bear investigation too.

As for the performance question, a static reflector image (I was not referring to brilliancescope) will often show the deleterious effects of a wavy girdle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results