shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA very thin - slightly thick girdle

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
Hello,
please advise me. I am thinking over buying a 0.50ct stone which looks quite nice however I am a bit afraid because according to the GIA report the girdle is very thin to slightly thick. Is there a real danger that the stone would have a chip? Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
Ivan

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2009 1:10:53 PM
Author:mastercut
Hello,
please advise me. I am thinking over buying a 0.50ct stone which looks quite nice however I am a bit afraid because according to the GIA report the girdle is very thin to slightly thick. Is there a real danger that the stone would have a chip? Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,
Ivan
Hi Ivan!

Very thin girdles aren't always a durability issue as sometimes the very thin part measures only in the microns or in a non vulnerable area of the girdle, a trusted vendor and or an appraiser can inspect the stone and advise you. No way to tell without an expert checking it out otherwise.

mastercut

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Lorelei!
Actually I´ve forgotten to add that the girdle is faceted...
So in general it is not very probable that a chip would appear on a GIA partly very thin girdle?

Stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
In general no, but it can still happen even in thicker girdle. Buy insurance and then just enjoy the stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/10/2009 1:32:59 PM
Author: mastercut
Thank you, Lorelei!
Actually I´ve forgotten to add that the girdle is faceted...
So in general it is not very probable that a chip would appear on a GIA partly very thin girdle?
Most welcome! Here is some further reading for you http://diamonds.pricescope.com/girdle.asp

Its hard to say as each diamond with a very thin girdle needs individual evaluation by a professional, get a trusted vendor or appraiser to check it out as there are so many possible scenarios - very thin girdles are not created equal. It could be fine or it might not be so get it checked is the safest way. Also any diamond can chip and not just due to the girdle, hit it on a cleavage plane with a dose of bad luck and chips and breakage can happen.

Faceted girdle is not an issue in anyway, just means the girdle is faceted.

Really it wouldn't be responsible of me to tell you no it will be ok and is unlikely to chip, get a professional to check it as it has to be a stone by stone call and I don't want to tell you oh it will probably be ok and it might not be. If you are purchasing from a trusted vendor they will be truthful with you concerning the girdle.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results