shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA Report- what to do with no crown and pavillion numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

synth19

Rough_Rock
I just got a GIA report for a ring I''m thinking of getting. I''m trying to use the cut advisor tool, but it won''t allow me to use it because I have no crown or pavillion numbers. Here is the GIA report specs:

July 1, 2002
Laser Inscription Registry: GIA 11902358
Shape and Cutting Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 6.04-6.12 x 3.86 mm
wt: .90 carat

Proportions---
Depth: 63.5%
Table: 60%
Girdle: Slighly Think, FACETED
Culet: NONE

Finish---
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: VERY Good

Clarity Grade: VS2
Color Grade: F
Florescence: NONE

Comments:
Crown Angles are greater than 35 degrees
Additional Clouds are not shown.

So is this a good stone or not? thanks!!!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Can't really tell without the angles...

I CAN tell you that this stone has the diameter of a well-cut 0.80 ct diamond. So you're probably paying for a lot of weight that you can't see.

There's a chance this is actually a Fiery Ideal Cut-type stone, but I wouldn't count on it. It's also somewhat out-of-round (there is a bit more variation in the diameter than would be ideal).

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask for a Sarin scan angles for crown and pavilion
and /or an ideal-scope photo.

It could be ok - it has a very intelligent girdle.
1.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
LOL, Garry.
1.gif

Synth19: Get a Sarin.
1.gif

synth19

Rough_Rock
The Price btw for this ring is 4k. I can't seem to find anything else with these specs for a cheaper price. He insists this is a GREAT stone even though he doenst have the angles for crown and pavilion. I know two other people and have been very satisfied with him. Should I just purchase it and then have it seperately appraised? If it doesnt stand up, I can return it.

synth19

Rough_Rock
Is sarin a machine? I take it all jewelers can not provide this kind of info?

synth19

Rough_Rock
Okay guys, thanks for the advice. I will NOT be purchasing the stone from this particular jeweler. Since they don't have the angles I simply asked the guy if he could get the angles from an appraiser. Why should I take his word for it that this stone is "ideal?" I even told the guy I would pay to have the pavillion and crown measurements taken before I purcahsed the ring. He basically said he won't do that, and he never in his life dealt with someone like myself "with all these questions." imo, these were some very simple requests, he felt the GIA report was good enough for him...and should be for me.
angryfire.gif

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/24/2004 1:13:38 PM synth19 wrote:

I even told the guy I would pay to have the pavillion and crown measurements taken before I purcahsed the ring. He basically said he won't do that, and he never in his life dealt with someone like myself 'with all these questions.' imo, these were some very simple requests, he felt the GIA report was good enough for him...and should be for me.
angryfire.gif
----------------

YIKES, what an experience.
eek.gif
So sorry!
Well, look at the bright side... you have found PS, and will be able to find a GREAT stone at a great price right here!
appl.gif

Happy hunting! (And keep us posted!)
1.gif

Lynn

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Please! Even when I ask GOG to find me stones online that they don't own, J gladly gets me sarin info. Good move walking away. The vendor obviously felt threatened.

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Yuck, I really HATE hearing about jewelers doing this. It's just so stupid. Unless they're trying to pull a fast one, they should be thrilled to have knowledgeable consumers.

Ugh. My jeweler told me I was "overeducated" and "impossible to please." I seem to have pleased myself fine with the diamonds I found on my own!
2.gif

So good for you for walking away! I don't know if you really want to go the B&M route, or if you are willing to look at online vendors too, but I'm convinced you can find someone who will be happy to accommodate your requests
1.gif

travl4me1

Rough_Rock
Garry... (or anyone)

Hypothetically, Lets assume you have a 2 one carat diamonds. One GIA and one AGS.

They are identical. Diameter measurements are exactly identical, girdle, symmetry, polish, culet, etc. EVERYTHING exactly the same !

Could one logically assume that that the crown and pavillion info provided on the AGS cert would apply to the unknown angles on the GIA ?

Could they be very far off from each other ?

Just curious more than anything,
TRAV

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results