shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA report shows two chips in Emerald Cut... Big Deal?

AndyRue

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

Just joined the forum after reading a couple threads on here and I had some very specific questions. I just purchased a diamond online. It is a .98ct, F VVS1 Emerald cut with VG cut and polish. On the report there are 2 small chips and a couple of other inclusions. GIA number:2165137924

I was working with a local jeweler to purchase a similar diamond (1.01ct I in color, VS1) and have it set in a setting that only they can get but I was never happy with the diamonds they were able to show me and got fed up with their high pressure sales tactics. I still have to work with them to get this diamond set (which is already proving to be a pain).

My concern: when I told the jeweler I was sourcing the diamond somewhere else they asked for the GIA number and I gave it to them. They then told me that chips can lead to a diamond being worth 30-40% less and that they believe this diamond was a salvage from a insurance company or the like. I had assumed that since chips are included in the GIA report they would be reflected in the clarity grading... Is this not correct?

Diamond arrives Monday and I will go look at it under magnification.

Anyway, thank you for your input.

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is just my personal opinion, and not a professional one: chips and indented naturals are deal breakers for me. Just knowing there's an area that I can feel with my nail would drive me nuts, and if it's on the girdle I'd be constantly seeking it out with my nail.

Where are the chips located?

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had the opportunity to buy a pair of TIffany studs online -no one else bid because of a chip and I did not have a problem with it, so I got them for the starting bid. I paid ~1K and they appraised at 4,200. I love them and the chip is so minute it takes some doing to locate it with a 10x. One stone was worth 2x what I paid for the pair.
So - a steal/deal - and not a lot of $.
But I would only get the stone you are talking about if the chips were tiny, the diamond was over-the-top beautiful and the price was a deal you can't refuse.

oh-just checked out the GIA.
Since it's a VVS1 the things in question may not be a problem, but I would caution against the very thin girdle unless you are bezel setting it. In that case none of the dings would be an issue.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AndyRue|1400332481|3674835 said:
Hey guys,

Just joined the forum after reading a couple threads on here and I had some very specific questions. I just purchased a diamond online. It is a .98ct, F VVS1 Emerald cut with VG cut and polish. On the report there are 2 small chips and a couple of other inclusions. GIA number:2165137924

I was working with a local jeweler to purchase a similar diamond (1.01ct I in color, VS1) and have it set in a setting that only they can get but I was never happy with the diamonds they were able to show me and got fed up with their high pressure sales tactics. I still have to work with them to get this diamond set (which is already proving to be a pain).

My concern: when I told the jeweler I was sourcing the diamond somewhere else they asked for the GIA number and I gave it to them. They then told me that chips can lead to a diamond being worth 30-40% less and that they believe this diamond was a salvage from a insurance company or the like. I had assumed that since chips are included in the GIA report they would be reflected in the clarity grading... Is this not correct?

Diamond arrives Monday and I will go look at it under magnification.

Anyway, thank you for your input.

Hi Andy and welcome!

I would start by saying that usually chips that are clarity characteristics in a VVS1 clarity are not of any concern to the best of my knowledge. I will post below the report so everyone can see what's on it and follow the discussion.

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?reportno=2165137924&childpagename=GIA%2FPage%2FReportCheck&pagename=GIA%2FDispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

I can see from the report that the chip inclusion is one of the grade making inclusions, I also see a natural is mentioned which also shouldn't be of concern, a feather, which will be minuscule in this grade and an extra facet which is also not a big deal. The main thing that jumps out at me are that the girdle notes being extremely thin. I would definitely want an independent appraiser to check that out during the approval period - make sure you have one! It could be that the ex thin part is not of concern and only measures in the microns in a non vulnerable area, or it might be a genuine weakness in the stone, I would definitely advise getting this checked by an expert.

Also the depth and table proportions are showing that the table % is considerably larger than the depth, normally the reverse is preferred but there are some of these proportion configurations that work together. A large table can give a glassy effect to the stone in some cases, there is a lot to consider with the proportions and faceting of an EC that is way beyond the scope of this thread, but I would say to make sure you look at as many EC's as possible so you know exactly what type and length to width ratio you like.

It is always best I believe to get a totally independent expert's opinion on your potential diamond purchase rather than that of someone with the potential of a vested interest in selling you something of theirs.

I hope this gives you some helpful info before you finalize the deal.

AndyRue

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the quick and helpful replies!

Diamond got here this morning. My girlfriend was still sleeping but Fedex rang the doorbell... Surprise ruined but oh well. :)

Anyway,

I am going to take it to a local independent appraiser on Monday morning. I looked at it with a 10x loop and could not see any chips.

I am concerned about the extremely thin - medium girdle and I hope the appraiser can help me identify whether this will be an issue. I should also have said that my girlfriend wants a halo setting around the stone so this may offer some protection against dings and chipping.

Length to width is spot on what she wands... Finally, I was somewhat concerned about the depth and table %... but after seeing the diamond it looks great!

One last question... Has anyone dealt with Atara Jewelry? They are based in New York and make the setting that my girlfriend likes. Here is a link to the setting: http://atarajewelry.com/images/jimages/rfc1pt.jpg

Imagine it with an emerald cut :).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AndyRue|1400346148|3674958 said:
Thank you for the quick and helpful replies!

Diamond got here this morning. My girlfriend was still sleeping but Fedex rang the doorbell... Surprise ruined but oh well. :)

Anyway,

I am going to take it to a local independent appraiser on Monday morning. I looked at it with a 10x loop and could not see any chips.

I am concerned about the extremely thin - medium girdle and I hope the appraiser can help me identify whether this will be an issue. I should also have said that my girlfriend wants a halo setting around the stone so this may offer some protection against dings and chipping.

Length to width is spot on what she wands... Finally, I was somewhat concerned about the depth and table %... but after seeing the diamond it looks great!

One last question... Has anyone dealt with Atara Jewelry? They are based in New York and make the setting that my girlfriend likes. Here is a link to the setting: http://atarajewelry.com/images/jimages/rfc1pt.jpg

Imagine it with an emerald cut :).

Oh no! How typical when it's a surprise but never mind. :mad:

It sounds as if you have everything well in hand with the appraiser and so on and it is quite possible the halo would offer some protection if the girdle isn't deemed a potential durability issue by the appraiser, but see what they say. Even if it did turn out to be a potential durability risk, you might want to consider looking at others in case anything went wrong while setting the stone, your fiancé's ring hand takes an unlucky hit or resetting in future.

Good that L/W is right, I would add concerning the cut and resultant performance, do compare some others if you can and check this diamond out in various everyday lighting conditions to be sure it shows life and sparkle. Can't judge a diamond by a couple of measurements without seeing at least an image, so do compare with others if at all possible to make sure it compares favourably.

I haven't dealt with Atara but some of the others might, you could try a search here to see if there are any reviews or some of the others might know. As to the setting, there was a poster here years back that had an EC in a sparkly halo with matching shank, it looked like an icy pool surrounded by a glittering bank of sparkling snow....It was just gorgeous. :love: So it's a thumbs up from me with the setting because I so loved that look, if they have one to fit an EC. If not, it might be possible you could get one adapted or made for the stone you end up with.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results