carat
color
clarity

GIA, or AGSL, which do you prefer for cut grading and why

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: GIA, or AGSL, which do you prefer for cut grading and wh

Technical differences have become almost entirely the realm of Internet sellers. A few jewelers will admit that there’s a difference within the range of GIA-x but decidedly few are prepared to explain what that difference is, much less provide a way of identifying what is the most excellent. GIA doesn’t teach it, and never has. Excellent is excellent.

At the risk of annoying the AGS management, I agree that they’re dropping the ball here. It’s their DUTY to support their member firms and I think they’re missing on this. The fact that it would benefit the lab too is just gravy. This is exactly the sort of thing that AGS members could and should be using to differentiate themselves. They’ll come around. Meanwhile the online vendors will continue to eat their lunch.

Online merchants are generally better at Google placement than the local stores. That’s no great surprise but it’s a problem at the stores. Some of these stores, say Jared or Ben Bridge, are very large outfits and you would think they would take this seriously and get pretty good at it. This too is an area where I’m a bit harsh on AGS. They are a society of literally thousands of high quality jewelry stores dedicated to customer education and to selling high quality goods responsibly. Mostly these are 'old school' sorts of stores and HTML isn't their first language. They own one of the most technically proficient and well regarded diamond labs in the world. Even so, a Google search for ‘Ideal Cut Diamond’, THEIR term, doesn’t land them in the top 5 pages and the technical education they present on the AGS site is, umm, weak.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Rockdiamond|1414531776|3774056 said:
Neil's post was spot on.
For me, as a buyer, I find that using a narrow filter restricts my ability to buy the best, most desirable diamonds. This makes AGSL style grading less desirable.

I love some Fancy Shaped diamonds that show a lot of leakage for example- and I won't be discouraged from buying them because as Paul alluded- people don't wear the wrapper, they need to eat the chocolate. I'm mixing metaphors here, but the fact is that people are led down a given path , trying the buy what is known as "the best cut"- who wouldn't love the best cut, right? They are expecting a certain result, which can lead to a lot of disappointment.
There's been a lot of heated discussions about ASET charts, green, leakage and other factors.
If one was buying based on ASET signatures it takes the brains out of the job- but also the heart and soul.
Personally I hope AGSL does start to offer wider cut grades on Fancy Shapes- and this may indeed be in the cards.

Bryan, the figure of 90% who don't want to buy online- would you say that's total diamond shoppers?
Because if we're speaking of folks spending $5k or more- or even folks looking for an AGSL graded stone, I would disagree that 90% don't want to buy online.
It seems to me that very few in that demographic do NOT shop online.
I have no idea what you mean by "AGSL style grading is less desirable" or that it limits your ability to buy whatever you please, or "takes the brains out of the job".

Regarding the 90%, that is a general estimate based on the number of total shoppers who actually do buy locally vs online. Clearly that number is different if you consider only shoppers specifically looking for AGSL graded diamonds as there are so few in local stores. But the number of buyers actually fitting that profile is also very small. The number of consumers buying online has increased by several points over the years and will continue to do so. But there is a reason the preponderance of consumers buy locally. They feel much more comfortable transacting something so financially and emotionally important with someone face to face.

Now, that estimate is in sharp contrast to the number of consumers who are researching and shopping online. We are talking about an ENTIRELY different breed of shopper today (especially in the bridal market). These are people who were raised with google in their pocket and they know how to use it to their advantage. Still, relatively few of them start out thinking they will actually buy online. That only starts to become a real possibility for many of them as they see the differences between what is being offered online vs their local jewelers.

And that is where many jewelers are missing opportunities, and where the sharp ones are enhancing theirs.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I think we all agree that many Brick and Mortar stores have not developed an adequate response to online shopping.
When I used to sell on the road, AGS stores were always the best shops in town- and usually had flagship brands, like Rolex.
Are there numbers showing the number of member stores over the years?
Just curious as to how that segment of the retail market is doing.

What I meant about AGSL cut grading, and how it does not work for me- I should have specified that I'm referring to Fancy Shaped Diamonds only.
If I'm shopping for princess cuts, I might pick an entirely different style of princess cut, which by definition of AGSL cut grades, is not as well cut.
So, the more discriminating AGSL0 cut grade is culling certain stones I find to be just as well cut.
That's why I would be pleased as punch if AGSL begins to consider quality of cut on stones that are currently penalized for things like leakage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results