shape
carat
color
clarity

GIA clarity wrong!!! Do I have any recourse?

cmaha33

Rough_Rock
Hello, All.

After searching 5 years to find a GIA graded Internally Flawless diamond, a trusted Pricescope appraiser has now infomed me that he feels the stone is actually a VVS2!

I am so disappointed....I wanted IF, if for anything, it being MIND CLEAN.

I am past the refund date of my vendor. Another problem is that this was not a direct purchase by me. The vendor actually purchased the stone from Blue Nile, and then I purchased it from the vendor (along with a trade-in of another diamond).

So, while I am waiting to hear back from my appraiser, I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about what I can do.

I do not want to get the GIA certificate corrected/downgraded because, obviously, that would affect the price of my diamond if I decide to resell it.

Also, because the appraisal report now has it graded as a VVS2, if I decide to keep it and ever file insurace, I would only be able to claim a VVS2 value, and not an IF value, therefore losing approximately $4000.

Do I have any kind of recourse? Thanks in advance for your reply.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you'd have *more* recourse if you'd done your appraisal DURING the return window (which is what it's for.) Legally, I don't think you have any recourse, as grades are "estimates" by humans & not assumed to be 100% accurate. You could take it to another appraiser & see what they say. Did the appraiser SHOW you the flaw or just tell you about it? Maybe you can negotiate some kind of credit from your vendor?

Or will you only be happy with an IF stone that everyone in the world agrees is IF? In which case, I think you're going to a) be waiting a long time and b) lose a lot of $$ -- selling at laymen "used stone" prices & re-buying at retail.

Is it possible you can think of the *flaw* as a birthmark? A unique identifier that shows it *is* your stone? After all, CZs are "flawless".

cmaha33

Rough_Rock
Forgot to add that I did get an appraisal from my vendor when I bought the stone, but the value on that report is so obviously inflated that I would be paying double my annual insurance premium if I went by their appraisal value. That's why I requested a second appraisal, only to find out that the clarity is different:(

mrb09

Rough_Rock
wouldn't the GIA report trump any other appraisal? I could be wrong, but I think the certification is the final word when it comes to determining value.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
cmaha33 said:
Forgot to add that I did get an appraisal from my vendor when I bought the stone, but the value on that report is so obviously inflated that I would be paying double my annual insurance premium if I went by their appraisal value. That's why I requested a second appraisal, only to find out that the clarity is different:(

Yea- appraisals done by the vendor you purchase from are inflated and skewed towards the vendor,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aside from agreeing that the appraisal should have come before the return period was up, you just need to insure with the sales receipt from the diamond seller as well as your GIA cert.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amys Bling|1332507295|3155016 said:
cmaha33 said:

Yea- appraisals done by the vendor you purchase from are inflated and skewed towards the vendor,

I would agree that appraisals are inflated, but I don't agree with the "skewed towards the vendor" part necessarily. Every appraisal I have gotten from a jeweler that was not the seller of the item inflated the value as well. It is just usual practice for them to value an item at it's highest retail, whereas most of us never purchase an item at that pricing (if we are smart!).

If your insurance doesn't accept sales receipt and GIA report, then go to jewelers that do appraisals, tell them you need an insurance appraisal and give them a copy of the sales receipt and GIA report and you are likely to get an appraisal that comes out close to what you want. Those kinds of appraisals are usually inexpensive. The GIA report is what you want to be the definer of value.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results