shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting the timing right

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
Some diamonds just appeared online that I think are a great deal based on my research over the past couple of weeks. I'm trying to think through the timing and make sure I understand what order everything is supposed to happen but want to make sure I can secure these diamonds but still have recourse if things don't turn out well for whatever reason. I apologize for the newbie questions but any help is greatly appreciated.

How much time should I give myself to buy a ring, get it appraised, and insured? Is it okay to have the proposal outside of the vendor's full return policy window? What are the risks of holding onto the ring for a couple of weeks past the stated full refund window (other than her saying no!)?"

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
simplesimon|1418653587|3801452 said:
Some diamonds just appeared online that I think are a great deal based on my research over the past couple of weeks. I'm trying to think through the timing and make sure I understand what order everything is supposed to happen but want to make sure I can secure these diamonds but still have recourse if things don't turn out well for whatever reason. I apologize for the newbie questions but any help is greatly appreciated.

How much time should I give myself to buy a ring, get it appraised, and insured? Is it okay to have the proposal outside of the vendor's full return policy window? What are the risks of holding onto the ring for a couple of weeks past the stated full refund window (other than her saying no!)?"

IMO, NO...you need to ask within the window and make sure your GF has no issues with the ring. A lot of girls will tell their
BF's they'll love whatever they get them but don't realize how picky they are until they get the ring.

Are you planning on having the ring set where you buy the stone? Maybe you can buy the stone early but have them hold onto it
until you decide on the setting (at a later date) that way hopefully your 30 days (or whatever it is) doesn't start until you get the
ring.

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
I do plan on having the ring set there too. The lead time is stated to be up to 15 days to get the ring completed, but it may be sooner, which would start the full refund countdown earlier than I would like. I like your idea of having them hold the diamond (I'll make a deposit if necessary).

I would have to get the ring independently appraised, insured, AND have the proposal all within the refund period...whew! For this particular vendor the refund period is 15 days...

SB621

Ideal_Rock
simplesimon|1418654834|3801472 said:
I do plan on having the ring set there too. The lead time is stated to be up to 15 days to get the ring completed, but it may be sooner, which would start the full refund countdown earlier than I would like. I like your idea of having them hold the diamond (I'll make a deposit if necessary).

I would have to get the ring independently appraised, insured, AND have the proposal all within the refund period...whew! For this particular vendor the refund period is 15 days...

You can probably hold off on having the ring appraised if you want. I know my company who I have insurance for just asked for the receipts of what I paid for my diamond and my setting and we insured it for that exact amount. I don't understand the point of having an additional appraisal on top of that especially if your diamond is certed with GIA or AGL lab report. At that point I think the appraisal is pointless and a waste of money. However if you were buying an old cut or something with an EGL or less lab report then I see the point and would recommend against buying it in the first place.

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
Thanks SB621. It might give me more peace of mind that the diamond I'm getting matches the cert I have. I realize that vendors like BGD, WF, and GOG are very reputable but I still want to be able to show that the diamond and the ring is what I ordered and not just rely on internet images. Is that a legit concern or am I paranoid?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
simplesimon|1418667696|3801592 said:
Thanks SB621. It might give me more peace of mind that the diamond I'm getting matches the cert I have. I realize that vendors like BGD, WF, and GOG are very reputable but I still want to be able to show that the diamond and the ring is what I ordered and not just rely on internet images. Is that a legit concern or am I paranoid?

Honestly it depends on where you got it from. I think if you bought from a PS vendor or someone who has a large internet presence then I personally wouldn't have any worries. They aren't going to ruin their business reputation but switching diamonds on you. But then again you are talking to someone who will buy completely uncerted diamonds off ebay with no return policy and I'm perfectly comfortable with that.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm with SB - waste of money for an additional appraisal if you are buying a certed stone.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are having the setting made separately, right?

The jewelers who are making your setting can verify that it matches the report for you.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
JulieN|1418671670|3801623 said:
You are having the setting made separately, right?

The jewelers who are making your setting can verify that it matches the report for you.

Excellent point!

simplesimon

Rough_Rock
So the way to think about it is [proposal date] plus [number of days for full refund policy] plus a week or two lead time = purchase date?

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
simplesimon|1418667696|3801592 said:

Paranoid.....When you see your ring under a loupe your will learn to recognize your own stone. any of PS vendors will show you what to look for with the Certificate. its so not necessary unless as others stated its a vintage stone or cetified by EGL or other non reliable labs.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results