shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting Started

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
I figure I''ll post to get started at this. I''ve been lurking for a month or two now and find this site very imformative. I''m going to be soon in the market for a ring, haven''t decided when.

Budget is a sliding scale, Don''t really know how much I want to spend or "should" spend. Some people say that to get something nice you have to spend 10K.... I doubt that.
my G/F of 5 years is down to earth and doesn''t want something huge. However, being on LI large does have a different perspective than from other parts.

I''m thinking around 1ct is the right size, Platnium ring.
right now spec-wise thinking VS2 H&A(maybe) G-H color
Budget for me seems to be about 5-7K that is stone and ring. I don''t want to cheap out on the stone, but if I can save money for no noticable difference why not?

I''ve been through the tutorials and know all the terminology. I really need to actually look at stones. I want to see if I can go shy on the weight and if its noticable. I want to see if the color range I''m looking in is in fact white to everyone and also to see if I will be happy without the H&A specs and see what is close.

Question is, I''m 23 and look 23, am I going to be taken seriously? Also where to start? Chain store? B&M? I''m planning on buying from Online venders, between one of you guys and Blue Nile. Also GOG seems to be right in my area.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated

Chris

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

My suggestion would be to start at GOG......you're right in his backyard, and it would be a crime not to go see an example of beautiful diamonds.

Then go take a look at the maul and see how that compares. You'll learn in a huge hurry!

Sounds like a sane plan, and you are on the right track!

Oh.....and as far as what you should spend? What you can afford, and what you feel comfortable spending. Don't let anyone else tell you that you should spend at a level that sends you into debt....it's a horrible way to start your life together.

TooMuchInformation

Rough_Rock
If someone doesn't take you seriously because you're 23, then you should be certain that they're not worth dealing with. I'm 24, and I've had no problems at all (unless you count the fact that most of the people I've spoken with in retail didn't have much of a clue with regards to what they were talking about).

I'm currently working with GoodOldGold, and although I haven't actually finished up everything with them and received my diamond and such (I'm waiting on information from a third party about settings), I would very much recommend them. Jonathan (Rhino) has been awesome to deal with, and has always answered my questions quickly.

Anyways, what *should* you spend? Whatever you're comfortable with. If a salesperson tells you that you need to spend X dollars for your wife-to-be to be happy, or that it has to be X % of your salary, then they're not worth dealing with.
1.gif
Figure out what you can afford, and then find what fits your budget.

I don't know what some of the people on this list think, but personally, I think 1ct is very large and very nice. It's a good balance between size and quality. If you get too big, I think you can really ruin the balance of the ring (okay, I'm sure some will disagree with me). Go with what you want, and what you're girl wants (if you know).

For 5-7K on the stone, I'm sure you can get something outrageous.
1.gif
I hardly think that you'll have to cheap out on a 1ct stone with tha tkind of budget.

So, just relax, and be comfortable with everything you do. This forum is GREAT for help and advice (I was in your position a month or so ago, and knew much less than you), and I'm sure you won't be sorry if you go with GOG.

Oh, and personally, I'd sacrifice carat size for cut any day. I'm going for a .98ct myself.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
You are talking a chunk of change there so any reputable person will take you seriously regardless of your youthful appearance.

The amount you spend on a diamond should be based on what you are comfortable in spending. However, I caution you that if you are planning to finance the purchase through either loans or credit card, then perhaps you are spending a bit too much.

During your search, you'll find many nice diamonds within your budget. And do go with cut over weight if it comes down to choosing between diamonds. You plan to actually check out diamonds at B&M stores makes perfect sense - there is nothing like actually seeing the diamonds to reaffirm what you have learned and also see what your real preferences are in terms of diamond quality.

rodent.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Chris,

You'll be in great hands with Jonathan at GOG, he is without a doubt our favorite competitor because of his attention to detail, he's impressive to us... Ask Jonathan to show you the various clarity and color combinations that are available in your price range and then select a diamond that makes sense for your desired budget. Don't worry about your age, it's not a concern to us and therefore shouldn't be a concern to you
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Hello Chris,

Welcome aboard!!
9.gif

What should you spend? Just what you feel comfortable spending, not a cent more. You don't have to spend $10K to get a nice rock. Not at all!! With $3.5-4K you can get an Hearts & Arrows SuperIdeal diamond in the J/SI range, which looks great to the naked eye and gives you a great bang for the buck... Not bad at all! Otherwise, you can get a great 0.75-0.85ct stone, H&A superideal in the I/VS or H/SI 1 range at about $3K.
With 5-6K you can get a VS 1-SI 1 stone in H color (H&A symmetry). But my suggestion is please don't be set on size and *especially** quality. Be flexible. Remember, an excellenty cut diamond faces up whiter than its body color, has great sparkle that covers very well the imperfections and looks cool!
1.gif
In fact, a $1000 H&A great cut diamond will look MUCH MUCH better than those 1ct specials you see at the mall. Yummy K color / I 2 clarity with a great looking 70% depth and 66% table.
9.gif
2.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto everyone else on the spending bit. Spend what you can comfortably afford. Don't go into debt! An engagement ring just isn't that necessary.
1.gif

If you're near GOG, my advice would be to check them out. Jonathan has an excellent reputation for selling beautiful stones.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice guys.
as far as the money thing, I'm spending cash. The idea of saving money is only an issue b.c so many expensive things happen at the same time. We get engaged, year and a half later married and buy a house.
Doing all those things at once is not easy, but can be doable.

Mainly I want something she will be happy with. I think 1ct in size is the size i'm looking for. now it comes down to cut clarity and color. I'm going for ideal or H&A cut depending on what i see. Clarity and color are also depending on what I see.

i think i will take a trip to GOG sometime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results