shape
carat
color
clarity

Getting my stone today, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

garek007

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

So after months of research I finally bought a stone. If you''ve been following my story you should know that I had a choice between two stones, one of which was EGL certified and cheaper. In the end I decided the EGL certification was too risky, especially since I was buying on line sight unseen. Plus, the price for the better quality stone was not really that much more, and Union Diamond gave me a really good price.

In the end I bought this one

Princess Cut
G
VVS1
Table 69%
Depth 71.5%
Crown height: 8.5%
I forget the exact measurements at the moment.

So what now? I''m taking it to a local jeweler tonight and I will get him going on settings.

Do I need to insure it before it goes to him? Have the stone independently appraised by itself before I get it set? I know that this jeweler will take care of the appraisal for insurance purposes, but do I want to do the stone by itself? One other thing. I''m getting the stone today and have no way of ''looking at it'' you know through microscope. I would like to do that before I leave it with him so that I can be sure he doesn''t swap my stone (not that I think he would but can''t be too careful).

tallchickbarbara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 10:49:50 AM
Author:garek007
Hi,

So after months of research I finally bought a stone. If you''ve been following my story you should know that I had a choice between two stones, one of which was EGL certified and cheaper. In the end I decided the EGL certification was too risky, especially since I was buying on line sight unseen. Plus, the price for the better quality stone was not really that much more, and Union Diamond gave me a really good price.

In the end I bought this one

Princess Cut
G
VVS1
Table 69%
Depth 71.5%
Crown height: 8.5%
I forget the exact measurements at the moment.

So what now? I''m taking it to a local jeweler tonight and I will get him going on settings.

Do I need to insure it before it goes to him? Have the stone independently appraised by itself before I get it set? I know that this jeweler will take care of the appraisal for insurance purposes, but do I want to do the stone by itself? One other thing. I''m getting the stone today and have no way of ''looking at it'' you know through microscope. I would like to do that before I leave it with him so that I can be sure he doesn''t swap my stone (not that I think he would but can''t be too careful).
Hi Garek,

Thank you for posting this. Just my two cents - is there any way to have it independently appraised prior to taking it to your local jeweler? That way you do get to see it under the microscope loose and the opinion you''ll receive on the diamond will be one coming from a source that is not biased prior to it being set. Is that a possibility?

garek007

Shiny_Rock
I think so. I need to find an independent appraiser in San Diego though...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most jewelry stores will not take responsibility for your stone while it''s being set so I would recommend getting your stone insured while it''s being set. Jewelers mutual offers this service if you proceed to go ahead and get your completed ring insured with them. A princess has a greater chance of being chipped and it''s not worth taking the chance IMO. But, definitely check the policy of the store you''re working with. Pearlmans is the only PS vendor I know of who will take responsibility for a diamond they didn''t sell while it''s being set into on of their designer settings so that is something you might want to keep in mind as well if you don''t want to go the Jewelers mutual route or the store you''re working with won''t cover it. Of course, Union Diamond would probably cover the setting process if you buy a setting from them b/c that is where you got the stone. Congrats on your purchase. I can''t wait to see the finished ring!

tallchickbarbara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:41:22 PM
Author: garek007
I think so. I need to find an independent appraiser in San Diego though...
And if all else fails, you''re not far from Carlsbad (30-45 minutes, yes?), so you may be able to make an appointment with the GIA themselves since that''s where the school and labs are, and at least get to see the diamond through their instruments.

garek007

Shiny_Rock
The GIA doesn''t do appraisals, I tried
7.gif

I believe the jeweler covers it while it is being set.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 4:27:37 PM
7.gif

check this and get it in writing. Princess cuts are more prone to chipping during the setting process.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 12:46:01 PM
Author: mrssalvo
Most jewelry stores will not take responsibility for your stone while it''s being set so I would recommend getting your stone insured while it''s being set. Jewelers mutual offers this service if you proceed to go ahead and get your completed ring insured with them. A princess has a greater chance of being chipped and it''s not worth taking the chance IMO. But, definitely check the policy of the store you''re working with. Pearlmans is the only PS vendor I know of who will take responsibility for a diamond they didn''t sell while it''s being set into on of their designer settings so that is something you might want to keep in mind as well if you don''t want to go the Jewelers mutual route or the store you''re working with won''t cover it. Of course, Union Diamond would probably cover the setting process if you buy a setting from them b/c that is where you got the stone. Congrats on your purchase. I can''t wait to see the finished ring!
Yes. Get it insured. Or send it back to Union for setting, they will take responsibility for a diamond they sold while setting (though confirm this).

tallchickbarbara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 4:27:37 PM
7.gif

One other question then, Garek -

Even though they won''t do an actual appraisal, will they at least verify the diamond to assure you that it matches the certificate properly? If you even wanted them to, that is. I know you mentioned not being able to see it through a microscope, and I thought that might be a good way to do so, with your own eyes.

garek007

Shiny_Rock
I''m going to an appraiser today at 4:15pm. GIA would do that, but they would charge for it. Appraiser is just as good no?

The insurance won''t cover a loose stone, so I dont'' know what to do while it''s being set!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2010 5:29:33 PM

The insurance won''t cover a loose stone, so I dont'' know what to do while it''s being set!

jewelers mutual is the only insurance I know of that will cover a loose stone while being set so that is an option. Some insurance policy''s will cover a stone that is being reset so you might consider finding an inexpensive solitaire setting from UD and having your stone set and then get in on your insurance as a completed ring. Then you can re-set it into it''s permanent setting and that part of the process would be insured. But, you need to check with your insurance company to be sure. Or you try to find the setting at UD where you don''t have to worry about the loose stone being covered or you use a jeweler like Pearlmans for the setting who will cover it as well. This in one of the reasons we recommend getting a stone and setting from the same place if at all possible. It really can be quite a hassle when you don''t.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If GIA graded the stone their facility in Carlsbad, California can verify the stone matches the report.
It is not an appraisal; it is a verifications service.
It does not matter which GIA facility graded the stone.

I have taken two stones there for this service.
Both times it was free, but I think they began charging a nominal fee last year.
They give you a laminated letter of verification.

You do not have to be in the trade to get your GIA-graded stone verified.
Just look up their phone number and call them to make an appointment.
Ask for the lab.

Both times I dropped off the stone in person.
The first time I picked it up at the end of the same day, and the second time they had it for 3 days.
They also have a wonderful display of gems in another building you can look at.
It is an impressive facility with a great ocean view and is near Legoland.
Very cool.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results