shape
carat
color
clarity

Generic Classic setting vs Style/Custom Setting?

Psylence

Rough_Rock
I am trying to decide whether to go with the 4 prong classic $325 or the tiffany half round with a truth 4 prong head on instead of the 6 $850. Im having a hard time swallowing the price difference of over double? I emailed them and asked them about this and they said that the style rings are made specifically for the stone and ring size so they are better. Is this true and would the stone not sit as well as the generic 4 prong classic?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5342

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/ring-details/?product_id=5540

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well to me there is a HUGE difference. if the tapered 6 prong is in budget I would absolutely go for that one, as the prongs look less 'bulky' to me and the whole ring looks more fluid and elegant. Plus it would be made specifically for the size center stone you have.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ditto slg, they look very different to me too - it would be enough for me to cough up the extra, but that doesn't really help you decide!

if you do a search you'll find quite a few pics of the tapered setting on here.

Psylence

Rough_Rock
What I am trying to know mostly is since the generic ring is not made to the exact stone size what does this mean exactly? Does it mean that the prongs wont look nearly as good as the tapered half round made to stone size ?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, the generic solitaire setting is just that - but rest assured your diamond will be properly mounted in the appropriate-size "stock" head and the prongs will be finished very nicely - it will be a beautiful presentation.

The Tiffany half-round shank with the 4-prong Truth head - this combo is designer-ish with the tapered shank and the signature BGD Truth custom head - this head will be created especially for your gemstone.

I do not believe you will see a difference in setting quality if you are focused only on how the diamond sits in the head and how the prongs will be finished -- however, in terms of overall presentation, frankly, yes, IMHO I think you will see a huge difference in terms of style and look.

If this is to be a permanent setting, and you are choosing between the two, unless your GF has explicitly stated she prefers that generic setting, if you can afford the couple extra hundred, I would go with the Tiffany half-round/Truth head combo -- it will be a custom ring created especially for your girl and its design aesthetics makes for a gorgeous classic look that will last a lifetime and beyond.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
TRUTH!!!! Hands down get the tiffany half round with the truth head. YAY! It will be stunning. The other ring is supplied outside of BGD. So they would order it with the head that is appropriate for your size stone. I believe the truth head would be custom made based on your actual measurements. You don't risk quality the other way. Especially not when you are having the work done by BGD. You want my honest opinion? The generic setting will be similar to what you find going to any local store. The Tiffany with truth head will be more designer-ish and you will notice a difference in the overall appearance of the ring. I have the truth head with a princess stone and I had a generic setting from a mall store before. That truth head is STUNNING! I'd pay the price difference hands down, no question about it and no regrets later! :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only time I recommend the plain stock setting is if the person needs to put their whole budget into the diamond and wants to wait and let the girl pick out a permanent setting later on. Back in the day, my original setting was one of the generic kinds and so was everyone elses! But now, there are beautiful and elegant choices, and they are certainly worth the extra money if you have it. The plain stock settings just have V-prongs that do support the diamond just fine, but the setting should compliment the stone rather than just hold it.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
slg47|1299100699|2863193 said:
well to me there is a HUGE difference. if the tapered 6 prong is in budget I would absolutely go for that one, as the prongs look less 'bulky' to me and the whole ring looks more fluid and elegant. Plus it would be made specifically for the size center stone you have.

I agree! I'd go for the $850 ring. I know it's much more expensive than the first one you linked, but I MUCH prefer these prongs to the others in the first link. As Slg said, the whole ring looks more elegant.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Did I read this correct? For the tapered tiffany you would replace the head with the truth head correct? Everyone keeps mentioning the prongs on that ring, but really what we see in the link isn't what you would do? Which is why I voted for that one- cause you said you'd get the truth head! :) YAY TRUTH!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
There is an enormous quality difference between a soldered on peg head and one made just for the diamond it is going to cradle. I think the more expensive setting is well worth the price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results