shape
carat
color
clarity

Geez Louise!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stoberto

Rough_Rock
Ok, I''m a new member of the forum, but not a new reader. I am young (21) and am getting engaged this summer, and since I''m usually a perfectionist I always do lots of research before buying things. I''d like to say that I have really enjoyed reading all the info here and have learned so much, and finally feel like I am ready to ask a question. I do need to warn you that this post may be long, and sorry if you''ve heard these questions before, I tried to read as much as I could about them on these forums...

After some good research I went to see my mom''s jeweler the other day. I almost feel bad because I took up about 3 hours of her time just asking questions and telling her what I want. She ended up calling her cutters and getting the descriptions of some diamonds similar to what I wanted....all that to say I think I have decided to buy online because I was not happy with the information available on those diamonds, many were EGL which I don''t want, and none of them were exactly what I wanted. I AM extremely nervous about doing this online though, ''cause I don''t want to screw it up...

So here''s my question. I have read on here that places like GOG and niceice are great places to buy diamonds, and I have contacted them about looking for the diamond I want. The problem is that for what I was hoping to get, their prices seem waaaaaay out of my price rang. I am hoping to get for my center diamond:

Cut: Ideal
Color: D-G
Clarity: IF (ha)-SI1
Carat: .60-.65
HCA under 2

My price range for the diamond alone is 2,000ish. I have found a few diamonds that fit that description on bluenile like these:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00969858&filter_id=0 (my fav HCA = 1.2)

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00907888&filter_id=0 (2nd fav HCA = 0.9)

But I can''t seem to find diamonds like this on GOG or niceice. Diamonds in that carat range are way more expensive on there, which is confusing to me because I had read on here that bluenile was sometimes a little more. I must say that I haven''t talked in person to GOG, I sent them and USACerted a message tonight to get in contact with them.

So, the question I want answered is, if I am hoping to get a diamond in this carat size and these qualities, am I going to have to buy somewhere like bluenile? Should I go for a smaller carat size (like 0.5) and buy from GOG, or do you think I have a good chance of getting a great diamond through bluenile....basically am I going about this the right way.

Thanks for any help you can give, I really am sorry this is such a monster of a post. I''m thankful for how much you guys/gals have helped me already. I really just want to get my girlfriend a beautiful diamond to go right along with how beautiful she is (cheesy I know).....you can see us here if you want to know what we look like: www.clemson.edu/~stoeber.

THANKS!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you done a search using the Pricescope search engine on the front page? There are quite a few vendors that list stones there -- and if you find a stone you like, do a search on the vendor & see what their rep is too!

I''m sure folks will help ya too! WELCOME!
35.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
First of all welcome to PS
35.gif

Bluenile is more expensive than many of the oneline vendors and most of their stones are virtual. You can''t call them and ask their opinions on a stone as you could with GOG, and many of the PS vendors. Plus the info they give you on their stones is lacking, IMHO. No Sarins, idealscopes etc... I would call GOG on Tuesday as they are closed on Mondays. Ask for Jonathon or Tim. Tell them what you are looking for, they are great to work with. I have bought from them myself. I would recommend that you look beyond a G, H and I''s will allow you to get a bigger stone. SI1, even SI2, as long as they are eye clean are your best bet. HTH, good luck

stoberto

Rough_Rock
OK, I will definitely be calling GOG next week to talk to them about what I could do with the stone. Thanks for the help. And yes, I have done some searches on pricescope as well. I guess the best thing for me to do would be to call and talk to some real people, so that will be next on my list....thanks

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
the reason GOG is more expensive b/c you''re looking at ideal cut H&A stones.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2006 6:17:50 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
the reason GOG is more expensive b/c you''re looking at ideal cut H&A stones.

''Guess so.

The respective G/VS1 looks great though.

And those at Blue Nile... I wish there pictures, and with even more that the diamonds would be at least as nice (i.e. with good optical symmetry) as the one at WF. Given that the shop does not provide such info on their stones, the only way to find out which is what would be to buy one and use the return policy for inspection.

How about the setting? If both ring and diamond turn out in the same shop, it means less hassle, of course... although things can be done differently. And any shop could deliver diamonds in a ''temporary setting'' if you want to go that way.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no allegiance to any of these vendors and have found all of the ones I've talked to relatively nice and responsive. But two weeks ago my brother-in-law wanted to buy a good quality diamond fairly quickly (proposing this weekend) and I directed him to the Expert Selection diamonds at WhiteFlash. They are in stock and they give you all the numbers,etc., and can talk to you about them. Right now there are not a lot in your size range, though. But from my searching, I think the prices generally run a little less at WF than GOG (but I think Jonathan is wonderful and would buy from him if he had what I wanted).

I love the one Julie gave you. That would definitely be my personal choice:

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-2362014.htm

I would also encourage you to consider H. I originally was stuck on G as my limit until I saw a beautiful GIA certified H and it is as white as can be in an excellent cut stone.

stoberto

Rough_Rock
thanks for your help again, i will keep you posted as to what happens. I''ve got a few months so i''m planning to take my time. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s great if you have some time. I''d tell the folks at GOG and WhiteFlash what you are looking for so they can call you when new diamonds come in. But I''d also recommend checking the sites every day or two. I finally found my stone that way. It was newly listed and was just what I wanted!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/29/2006 1:38:35 AM
Author:stoberto
Ok, I''m a new member of the forum, but not a new reader. I am young (21) and am getting engaged this summer, and since I''m usually a perfectionist I always do lots of research before buying things. I''d like to say that I have really enjoyed reading all the info here and have learned so much, and finally feel like I am ready to ask a question. I do need to warn you that this post may be long, and sorry if you''ve heard these questions before, I tried to read as much as I could about them on these forums...

After some good research I went to see my mom''s jeweler the other day. I almost feel bad because I took up about 3 hours of her time just asking questions and telling her what I want. She ended up calling her cutters and getting the descriptions of some diamonds similar to what I wanted....all that to say I think I have decided to buy online because I was not happy with the information available on those diamonds, many were EGL which I don''t want, and none of them were exactly what I wanted. I AM extremely nervous about doing this online though, ''cause I don''t want to screw it up...

So here''s my question. I have read on here that places like GOG and niceice are great places to buy diamonds, and I have contacted them about looking for the diamond I want. The problem is that for what I was hoping to get, their prices seem waaaaaay out of my price rang. I am hoping to get for my center diamond:

Cut: Ideal
Color: D-G
Clarity: IF (ha)-SI1
Carat: .60-.65
HCA under 2

My price range for the diamond alone is 2,000ish. I have found a few diamonds that fit that description on bluenile like these:

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00969858&filter_id=0 (my fav HCA = 1.2)

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00907888&filter_id=0 (2nd fav HCA = 0.9)

But I can''t seem to find diamonds like this on GOG or niceice. Diamonds in that carat range are way more expensive on there, which is confusing to me because I had read on here that bluenile was sometimes a little more. I must say that I haven''t talked in person to GOG, I sent them and USACerted a message tonight to get in contact with them.

So, the question I want answered is, if I am hoping to get a diamond in this carat size and these qualities, am I going to have to buy somewhere like bluenile? Should I go for a smaller carat size (like 0.5) and buy from GOG, or do you think I have a good chance of getting a great diamond through bluenile....basically am I going about this the right way.

Thanks for any help you can give, I really am sorry this is such a monster of a post. I''m thankful for how much you guys/gals have helped me already. I really just want to get my girlfriend a beautiful diamond to go right along with how beautiful she is (cheesy I know).....you can see us here if you want to know what we look like: www.clemson.edu/~stoeber.

THANKS!
There are stones out there in your price range, you won''t find any D-IF''s at that price, but they are available in the lower ranges, even D-SI1''s should be available in your range.

You might consider calling the people that have made your list, they will often have stones that are not yet up on their sites, or know where to grab one for you that fits your needs.

It is an all day every day task to keep those sites fully up to date, and most of the on line vendors here have to also run their businesses, so often not all of the stones are available. You need not worry, your size and price expectations are tight, but duable.

Wink

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t seem to get onto Whiteflash''s web site, but I would recommend checking out their "expert selection" stones. From what I hear you really can''t tell any difference between them and the "A Cut Above" stones anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results