shape
carat
color
clarity

Gary/Cut Rock please look....long

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gray hilsman

Rough_Rock
Last week I posted a stone...modern cushion radiant..8.39x7.76x5.79..GIA G/VS2 depth 74.6 table 67...you commented on its poor proportion and gave an idealscope example of how stone would look. The stone actually doesn''t look at all like this under a local jewelers idealscope....neither does the stone''s cut conform to the shape you related in your post. Further searches on this sites venders gave several stones with essentially identical dimension and were graded as "very good" in 4/5 instances.

Is it possible that the actual "look" of the stone could be in error to your computer sketch? It is as bright and brilliant as several stones at the dealers graded as ideal to excellent. Others have told me that when it comes to modern cushions there is no magic set of numbers to equal a brilliant and bright stone.

I am now looking at another stone 3.2 radaint with 1B numbers and the same cut/clarity and the cushion looks just as bright and may even have more "sparkle".

Help if you can..as both the jeweler and myself "see" the cushion as the nicer looking stone. I am aware that the radiant has a bigger footprint and does look a tad bigger when compared to the cushion.

I really respect your opinion and would love to here your comments....thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hey Gray, I think the image Garry posted was meant to show you what a Regent Cut looked like, not what that stone looked like.

Otherwise, I'm still not quite sure why he blasted the cushion cut. Could have been the depth (74.6%), but it's fairly common for cushion cuts to run deep. It makes them look smaller to the eye, but often makes for a fiery stone, especially when the table is significantly smaller than the depth, which was the case with this stone (67% table versus 74.6% depth).

So you examined the cushion under an IdealScope? How did it look? Was the stone overall pinks and blacks, or did you see any significant areas of white?

Can the vendor snap a picture of the cushion under the IdealScope?

gray hilsman

Rough_Rock
Richard,

Mostly pinks and black...can't get photo...it really is a bright stone to the eye....thanks for your input...gray

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is very possible that my model was way out since I have no crown and pavilion angles.
It worries me that the stone (and the radiant) look so good.
Can you get to some natural daylight with these stones and some rounds that look great in the ideal-scope.
Not direct sunlight though!
I suspect that may change the results you are seeing.

But please remeber that personal preference out rules nerds like me every time
1.gif

Richard or another appraiser could certainly give you an expert opinion, however there is nothing wrong with your working with a proffesional retailer, who obviously you trust and have a good relationship with.

Let us know how you get on
1.gif

gray hilsman

Rough_Rock
Gary and others,

Took stone out in sunlight today and it sparkles even more than in artificial light! I compared to a known round and the sparkle was as bright as ideal and brighter than 1B radiant....what do you think?....thanks, Gray

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results