shape
carat
color
clarity

G vs H cushion for the color conscious

flilow

Rough_Rock
Hey friends,

After spending some time with a J color cushion set in a halo in different environments, I've found that to my eye the warmth of the J color can sometimes be distracting against the bright-white F/G halo single cuts.

I've read through past threads on the subject, but I was hoping to get some advice for my specific situation. For a 2ct ideal cut cushion, with the knowledge that I am color sensitive, if I'm looking for a stone that will not contrast against the F/G single-cuts. Should I be safe and go with a G, or could I get away with an H color cushion?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not sure anyone else can answer that for you, but I would personally be fine with H. You are going to have a different look from melee to a larger stone anyway, so I do not believe that difference would bother me at all. I color usually faces up quite white, but I usually can see some tint in a J. Still, I have seen J's in a halo that looked great! The key is finding the best cushion regardless of whether it is G or H!

flilow

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1430097739|3868234 said:
I am not sure anyone else can answer that for you, but I would personally be fine with H. You are going to have a different look from melee to a larger stone anyway, so I do not believe that difference would bother me at all. I color usually faces up quite white, but I usually can see some tint in a J. Still, I have seen J's in a halo that looked great! The key is finding the best cushion regardless of whether it is G or H!

Thanks for the input. In this case I'm between the following Ideal000 stones, both with similarly great ASETs:
1. 7.41x7.32, G, VS2, medium culet
2. 7.65x7.46, H, VS1, large culet

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
flilow|1430107593|3868286 said:
diamondseeker2006|1430097739|3868234 said:

Thanks for the input. In this case I'm between the following Ideal000 stones, both with similarly great ASETs:
1. 7.41x7.32, G, VS2, medium culet
2. 7.65x7.46, H, VS1, large culet
Can you post the lab reports?

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
flilow|1430096701|3868231 said:
Hey friends,

After spending some time with a J color cushion set in a halo in different environments, I've found that to my eye the warmth of the J color can sometimes be distracting against the bright-white F/G halo single cuts.

I've read through past threads on the subject, but I was hoping to get some advice for my specific situation. For a 2ct ideal cut cushion, with the knowledge that I am color sensitive, if I'm looking for a stone that will not contrast against the F/G single-cuts. Should I be safe and go with a G, or could I get away with an H color cushion?

Answer depends from Cushion cuts. There are Cushion cut with short ray length path and long ray length path ( crushed ice cushions ).
cut with longer ray path will looks more yellow from table than cut with shorter ray path( if both diamonds have same colour grade from pavilion)

see DC images for Marquise cuts.
for spectrums which give G and J colours in round cut

screenshot_2015-04-27_10.png

screenshot_2015-04-27_0.png

flilow

Rough_Rock

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
flilow|1430174820|3868662 said:
So did I. I went to pull the trigger this afternoon and it sold this morning... pretty heartbreaking.

;( Ouch. Sorry to hear that. The G colored cushion did look nicer.

emmebee

Shiny_Rock
Serg|1430120870|3868309 said:
Hey friends,

Answer depends from Cushion cuts. There are Cushion cut with short ray length path and long ray length path ( crushed ice cushions ).
cut with longer ray path will looks more yellow from table than cut with shorter ray path( if both diamonds have same colour grade from pavilion)

This is so interesting! I heard of this before, but to see it demonstrated like this.. so helpful. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
This is my take; when I was shopping for a cushion and btw I saw tons of them. I was choosing between a G and an H cushion. The cut of the diamond made my H diamond whiter than the G cushion diamond. I ended up with the H color VVS2 cushion diamond.
Here is a photo so you can see how white it looks even with the halo. It faces up very white for an H color diamond.

cushion_0.png

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
emmebee|1430175413|3868669 said:
Serg|1430120870|3868309 said:
Hey friends,

This is so interesting! I heard of this before, but to see it demonstrated like this.. so helpful. Thanks for sharing those pictures.

http://cutwise.com/stone/10_M-1216-123?format=video360Girdle
http://cutwise.com/stone/6_MSSCUSHION9?format=video360Girdle

screenshot_2015-04-28_09.png

flilow

Rough_Rock
Madison, that's a gorgeous ring! Sorry for the late reply I've been trying to regroup after intending to buy the G and then it sold. Do you find that you notice any tint under the table? Any real contrast against the halo?

I was hoping to revive this thread rather than start a new one. Those are my two biggest concerns.. I don't want to notice yellow even when the diamond is on a tilt, and I don't want a stark contrast against the halo. Should I be safe with an ideal cut H?

Thanks all!

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
flilow|1430336393|3869779 said:
Madison, that's a gorgeous ring! Sorry for the late reply I've been trying to regroup after intending to buy the G and then it sold. Do you find that you notice any tint under the table? Any real contrast against the halo?

I was hoping to revive this thread rather than start a new one. Those are my two biggest concerns.. I don't want to notice yellow even when the diamond is on a tilt, and I don't want a stark contrast against the halo. Should I be safe with an ideal cut H?

Thanks all!

Hello flilow,
Thanks for the compliment on my cushion diamond ring :D
No there is no yellow tint under the table even when the diamond was purchased loose and not set in the setting. When we bought the diamond we kept saying it faces up so white, and I was told because it is such a well cut H cushion diamond. Its also VVS2 however I don't think its necessary that you go VVS2.
My diamond is set on a slight tilt, Mark T at Brilliantly Engaged set my diamond and custom made my setting. All I see is white ice brilliance like you wouldn't believe. Its very hard to capture the beauty in pics but IRL, its stunning and I get many many compliments all the time.
There is no contrast between the halo and center diamond that I see, all I see is fire and brilliance.
Here is another picture, do you see yellow, I don't.

cushion_on_3.jpg

flilow

Rough_Rock
Hi Madison,
It looks beautiful to my eye! Thank you again for the pics and input. I'll have to come back and update on the outcome.
May you wear yours in good health!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both those stones have very (very) good light return under the table so should be very bright stones. The H would not bother
me* (but that's if it were for me). Do you have pictures of the H? I wonder if Victor has a halo setting he could plop it in
to show what the contrast might be? (You can always ask).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results