shape
carat
color
clarity

G vs D-E color question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
I just had a question in regards to color. I purchased a ring that was G color. My girlfriends mother has an E color, and sister has a D color (uncertified diamond). I want to know that say they put the rings side by side, are they going to notice a huge difference in color, being that the G color will be a faint more yellow, or alot more yellow? I know its kinda silly to compare rings like that, but trust me it will happen im sure. I spent a TON of money on this ring....its a 1.68ct G color VVS2 princess cut. Should i have went down in clarity, and up in color? To me the ring is beautiful either way. Just a general question i guess. at the time, any diamond over 1.50ct VS? and D,E color was too much money just for the diamond itself.

Thanks

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/28/2004 9:39:40 AM mikey71497 wrote:

I want to know that say they put the rings side by side, are they going to notice a huge difference in color, being that the G color will be a faint more yellow, or alot more yellow?

----------------

NO
angryfire.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I think a G princess is very white face up...But if you're comparing a G princess to a D or E round, the rounds will look whiter...but the G will not look "yellow"...

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
whats with the angry face? You get testy quite often. I notice that from browsing these boards. I never knew that an internet message board would make some people so frustrated. If i knew the answer to the question, i would have asked it. Thanks for your reply though. One of the diamonds is round, (D) and the (E) is princess. Thanks for the replies...i just wanted to make sure that the (G) diamond wouldnt look a faint yellow compared to the other colors.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
There are a lot of questions very similar which would be remedied by a quick search on the forum. However, sometimes the search can be a bit quirky to work with. No worries.

Don't get too caught up in slight variations in differences. I was a total nut when it came to differences so minute it nearly drove me insane. Your G is still in the nearly colorless range. No one is going to notice the difference once set, even if they're comparing side-by-side, which also... rarely happens (if ever). No one would dare say anything even if it did.

It's true that princess cuts show more body color esp in the corners, but it shouldn't be anything to worry about. As long as you got the rock within the budget and priorities you set out with, you're golden! CONGRATS!

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
Mikey,
I know what you are talking about when it comes to the comparisons. I think you will notice a very slight difference and the square shape of the princess may reveal a little more. I think the lighting also will make a difference. Either way it will be so slight and if your ring is "clean" it will be even harder to notice because of the sparkle. Dirty rings tend to look more yellow.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 6/28/2004 11:12:34 AM mikey71497 wrote:

whats with the angry face? You get testy quite often.

----------------

Oups... I didn't mean to sound mean
sad.gif
And I hope I have not been making the same mistake very often.

I know as matter of fact that I could never tell an F from a D face up, even if their cut is very different - and I would assume most non-professionals will be in the same situation. G and F are also very close - so I would maintain the non-angry statement.

Between two colorless stones the more brilliant one would look "whiter" and one with less contrast might too. I bet all three stones D, E and G will look different enough due to their cut (both shape and brilliance being at play) but not due to their body color.

Hope this helps,

... with my apologies, of course
5.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I actually have a 3+ ct "I" colored princess cut stone, and it faces up just as white as the "G's" I've seen--when comparing them side by side. My stone does appear a little warmer in some light than those in the colorless range (and even then only near the prongs), but there's definitely no yellow! It's like comparing paint in homes--some are stark white, others have just the slightest warmth to them. But, with your "G" I doubt there will be any difference in color.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I agree. A G colored diamond, when compared with a D-E stone won't look yellow at all, just ''less white''. I know it may sound stupid, but you have to see it to believe it. I doubt you'll see a yellow hue, just a less clear and crisp tint. But G is still very white.
1.gif
Generally speaking, a round brilliant mounted stone begins to show some visible body color at K-L, while fancy shapes tend to display color more easily. A J colored fancy shaped diamond may already look a little yellow.
2.gif

All in all, if you got a G color, very well cut princess, you made a very wise choice, both in terms of value and look. Congrats.
9.gif

katrina_33

Shiny_Rock
The different shades of white paint was a great analogy.

It's not about looking "yellow," which, as someone else stated, doesn't start to happen until the J range for most stones I believe.

Although I'd read all of the color threads here, I didn't really understand it until I finally went out and compared stones side by side this weekend. Looking at a D and G side by side, there was a slight difference, but I couldn't really put my finger on it. The D was a little bit of a cooler shade of white, but I had to really look even to pick up on this. Looking at a G and an I side by side, I had the same experience. It was only in looking at a D and an I side by side there was a definite color difference, and even then, the I didn't look at all "yellow", it just looked like a warmer, off-white shade of white. I didn't mind this at all, even side by side.

Before this, I felt nervous about going with a G or H color, now I know I'd be comfortable down to an I, even if I did ever compare it side by side with someone elses D or E diamond. Even if theirs looked a little 'cooler' white, a G won't look yellow to anyone.

mm

Rough_Rock
I took a stone to be graded today, and got the chance to look at the appraisers set of round brilliant master stones (about 1.5 carat each) between D and L.

Face up, I was so surprised at how little difference there was- I mean I could not see any difference to speak of. The appraiser got them out and, obviously side on, they showed the expected colour range.

This demonstrated to me how important cut is in colour and light return. if you can prevent a stone being seen from the side or below (6 claw setting, bezel setting), and the stone is well cut, then you could get away with more colour than you would think.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Val could never be mean!
1.gif
She's too good natured.

D/E/F/G...not really visible in terms of differences, also don't know if anyone else mentioned this but cut of the stones makes a difference too. Princesses may return a tiny tiny bit more color but if the cut is very good, then it may face up whiter.

Anyway, I had a G VS and honestly that thing was so blindingly white to me. Now I have an almoat H&A H and it looks clear to me entirely, the only time I maybe ever see something is from side view and it seems only in certain lightings (and mostly yellow lightings so maybe that is giving it a tint!!!) and it's not yellow at all, it's more of a tiny warmness. But honestly it's so rare that I see it and the diamond is stunning so no one is looking at it from the SIDE.
2.gif
My husband has an E H&A and it looks just as white as my H face up.

As a general rule princesses are cheaper than round brilliant stones, so wondering what a 'ton' of money was for something like this unless the setting was expensive.
confused.gif

Anyway I think you are fine with a G!
1.gif
Make sure it's well cut and you are golden. Good luck and congrats.

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
well, what do you think the price of the stone i mentioned would be? Im not comparing round to princess, so thats irrelevant. I am just saying the ring was a lot of money.

JC

Shiny_Rock
True "G" colored diamonds are beautiful. In all actuality most people can't tell the difference between a "G" colored diamond when compared to colorless stones as long as each diamond has been accurately graded. I would stick with the "G". It would suck to pay more money for something that would essentially look the same. Wouldn't it? Good luck....

1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm a quickie search on Pscope shows stones around $11-12k for around that size and G VVS2. But doesn't note cut at all...so there could be a range within a range for exceptional to icky. Is that close to your cost?

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Mara,
You should keep in mind that what may not be a lot of money to spend on a diamond for you is a lot of money to someone else. I have a friend who put away money every year for 6 years so he could buy his wife a ring she'd been dreaming about since the day they were married. Although they both make good money, they have 4 kids and bills that keep them from spending on extra perks like diamonds. The ring he finally bought cost about $14500, but to my friend it might as well have been millions. Just something to keep in mind!

kevinng

Shiny_Rock
Some people have great eyes for these things... but that's the extreme minority. I have a friend who can tell a G from say a D or E. 2 colours apart is obvious to her. But she's the only one I know who can do that. Also, it's probably because most diamonds are not cut well.

I went to the Tiffany boutique the other day and asked them to show me an E and a H. I looked and looked... and I could not tell the colors apart, no matter which way I looked, because of the lighting and the mounting.

It's more obvious in a gem lab. I was a busy-body when my gemologist was at work. He had a row of reference stones, placed on a white holder with the pavilions up, and the light was white. Only under these extreme conditions were the differences obvious.

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
Mara,
You should keep in mind that what may not be a lot of money to spend on a diamond for you is a lot of money to someone else

AMEN! To that....
rolleyes.gif

Greg

Rough_Rock
I think it depends on your eye for color. My fiancée and I could easily spot the color in any stone less than an E. We could spot a G stone even without putting it beside something whiter (even face up), with the F grade, we were sometime-ish. We're both artists though, and both have a keen eye for color.

A lot of posters here seem to think that little matters besides cut quality. I personally think that anything about the stone that's visible is important. I'd agree that cut is the most important attribute of a stone, but color is a VERY VERY close second.

Speaking strictly what your paying for vs. what the diamond looks like, I think a lower clarity for a more colorless diamond would definitely a good trade-off.

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
I here you gregg. The diamond is already bought and set, and i am giving it to her in about two weeks. I guess i could have went for a less clarity and maybe one up to an "F" color, but i am more than happy with the ring that i purchased, and to me thats all that matters. I dont compare and constrast rings with others, i could care less what others think of the ring. What means most to me is what that ring symbolizes on her finger. Thanks for all the replies

wavey.gif

Greg

Rough_Rock
If you're happy, that's all that matters. After certain point, it's all just splitting hairs. G is a great color (there'd only be a cause for concern if you had dipped down to the I-K range for the VVS2 clarity).

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
I would never go that low on the color scale. To me thats just too low. I will post pics of the ring soon so you can all see what it looks like.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/29/2004 1:21:25 PM researcher wrote:

Mara,
You should keep in mind that what may not be a lot of money to spend on a diamond for you is a lot of money to someone else. ----------------

I'm not sure here, but I suspect you may have misinterpreted the intent of Mara's comment regarding the money.

I don't think her comment "what is a ton of money" meant compared to what others spend....I think it was "what is a ton of money" relative to what to what comparable stones would run. (For example, $5K might be a ton of money to spend to only get a .75 RB I, SI1 stone, but it would be a fantastic price on a 1.25 RB H, SI1).

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/29/2004 1:57:36 PM mikey71497 wrote:

I dont compare and constrast rings with others, i could care less what others think of the ring

----------------

Mike, I think you misinterpreted Mara's comment....she wasn't suggesting you should try to "keep up with the Joneses (or others)".

Quick question....if you don't compare and contrast rings with other and could care less what others think of the ring, then why did you open the thread with this?

My girlfriends mother has an E color, and sister has a D color (uncertified diamond). I want to know that say they put the rings side by side, are they going to notice a huge difference in color, being that the G color will be a faint more yellow, or alot more yellow?

Um.....putting them side by side and observing differences IS called comparing where I come from.

2.gif

mikey71497

Rough_Rock
If you read it, it says that "say THEY put the rings together" meaning that if THEY do it, NOT ME. I think thats dumb to do that, but girls can be silly, and love to compare. I could care less. The reason for starting this thread was for a general answer to YES you will see a difference, or NO you wont.
2.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/29/2004 2:29:06 PM mikey71497 wrote:

If you read it, it says that 'say THEY put the rings together' meaning that if THEY do it, NOT ME----------------

Right, but it's *you* who seems concerned at the possibility of them seeing a color difference.....

"I want to know....if they will notice a difference in color." If you don't care what people think, then I'd imagine you wouldn't be worried about it if they did happen to see a slight difference in color.

I don't mean this freshly, by the way.

twirl.gif
Heck, if I'd have spent a lot of money on a ring for my love, I wouldn't be thrilled at the prospect of someone potentially finding fault with it either, and I can understand how that would feel awful.

And to your original question.....don't worry. *No*, most people won't see that difference at all.

9.gif

Greg

Rough_Rock
I disagree with aljdewey on on two points.

1). Rather than a definitive *No*, I think a maybe/maybe not answer is more accurate. It depends on a variety of things (the setting, lighting, and your fiancée's eye for color).

2). It's perfectly fine to start a thread just for curiosity's sake.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/29/2004 2:53:29 PM Greg wrote:

I disagree with aljdewey on on two points.

1). Rather than a definitive *No*, I think a maybe/maybe not answer is more accurate. It depends on a variety of things (the setting, lighting, and your fiancée's eye for color).

2). It's perfectly fine to start a thread just for curiosity's sake.
----------------

Greg, we agree....it's absolutely fine to start a thread for curiosity's sake. I'm not trying to be contentious at all.....it just didn't seem like this was a rhetorical question because he then questioned if he should have bought higher color/less clarity based on the possibility that they would see a difference.

Also, just for clarity, my *no* wasn't definitive.....my comment was "most people won't see it"....not all. Most means *most*, it doesn't say that *no one* will see it.

Mikey asked for general comments (I take that to mean offer opinions), and I gave him mine. Please don't think it was offered as a fact...it wasn't. /idealbb/images/smilies/21.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think the question you need to ask is not whether you will see a difference. It's quite possible in a side by side comparision. It's also possible no one will notice. Much has to do with the size, setting & cut. No one can give you a definitive answer without being in the "ring of comparision" so to speak.

The question is *will it* bother you or your to be if there is a difference?

Also, I've known Mara's writing style long enough to know that some how her wording/phrasing was *indeed* miscontrued.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results