carat
color
clarity

G/H no fluo vs I med/strong fluo? Pls help! Vendors pls look

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I'm considering a pair of studs. All things equal (price nearly the same so I'm not concerned about price), which would look whiter under most lighting conditions? Not just under UV light.

G/H no fluo vs I med/strong fluo

Does anyone happen to have a G/H no fluo diamond and a I fluo diamond? Can someone pls share a photo and your observations if you happen to have such diamonds? Vendors, you see the most diamonds. Can you pls help too?

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Re: G/H no fluo vs I med/strong fluo? Pls help!

I have both. My studs are BGD Signature H no fluor and my pendant stone is BGD Blue line Very Strong Blue Fluor. Studs are .50ct each, pendant is .55ct. All three are beautiful and have no noticeable tint to my eyes. I would also say that the I diamond is brighter than the H's.
I'm not great at pictures and with my stones being on the smaller side I don't think my pics would help you anyway.
I can say that H-I diamonds appear to be my sweet spot and I would choose fluor over non-fluor if I were purchasing another MRB.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Re: G/H no fluo vs I med/strong fluo? Pls help! Vendors pls

is cut quality equal? in your position I'd go for the pair with the better cut. with a slightly preference for fluor cos its awesome

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

If ideal cut and all things equal, I'd go with the G/H

I with fluor does improve color in some condition mainly when under sunlight but its going to perform as an I without UV in opposed to a G which will always perform as a G. If what you want is whiter stones (in opposed to fluor) why not just get the G/H?

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock

GreenBling|1397224420|3651743 said:

I with fluor does improve color in some condition mainly when under sunlight but its going to perform as an I without UV in opposed to a G which will always perform as a G. If what you want is whiter stones (in opposed to fluor) why not just get the G/H?

actually i agree. i answered with my own preferences in mind and I'm very color tolerant. but you're probably more sensitive to color if you want "which would look whiter under most lighting conditions" if cut is equal go the G/H. but if its not go for the better cut regardless

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What does G-H mean? If it is not a GIA graded diamond, I would not trust the color grade at all. I also would want both stones in a pair to be the same color. Certainly choose the higher color grade without regard to fluorescence if your aim is higher color most of the time. But all the stones should be graded by GIA (or AGS).

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: G/H no fluo vs I med/strong fluo? Pls help!

woofmama|1397217541|3651693 said:
I have both. My studs are BGD Signature H no fluor and my pendant stone is BGD Blue line Very Strong Blue Fluor. Studs are .50ct each, pendant is .55ct. All three are beautiful and have no noticeable tint to my eyes. I would also say that the I diamond is brighter than the H's.
I'm not great at pictures and with my stones being on the smaller side I don't think my pics would help you anyway.
I can say that H-I diamonds appear to be my sweet spot and I would choose fluor over non-fluor if I were purchasing another MRB.

Thanks, Woofmama, for your observations. I'm looking at BGD H&A G/H diamonds and BGD Blue I with fluo too. Weighing my options. Seems that I with fluo is white enough... hmm.

hippi_pixi said:
is cut quality equal? in your position I'd go for the pair with the better cut. with a slightly preference for fluor cos its awesome

All diamonds are cut equal. There will definitely be some slight differences resulting in different flavors but cut is excellent overall. I like fluo too but not so sure of I color.

GreenBling said:

Yes, a very valid point. That's what I'm concerned about. That I color will still look like an I color when not under UV light. JA uses a white background for rotation and it's easy to see the tint. Seeing JA diamonds made me realise that not all I colors, H colors etc are equal. Even with the same grade, some are more tinted than others. BGD uses a very posh black background but I can't see the tint. I squinted my eyes for so long just to figure out if an I diamond has tint but it's next to impossible. Either that or my screen is not optimal for this task.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1397225792|3651755 said:
What does G-H mean? If it is not a GIA graded diamond, I would not trust the color grade at all. I also would want both stones in a pair to be the same color. Certainly choose the higher color grade without regard to fluorescence if your aim is higher color most of the time. But all the stones should be graded by GIA (or AGS).

I might get one G diamond and one H diamond for my studs. I will try to get both same colors if I can find a matched pair in terms of diameters. Else, I will take one of each color so long as the diameters match. I'm still considering if it's more important to match color or diameter.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

thecat|1397238757|3651865 said:

I might get one G diamond and one H diamond for my studs. I will try to get both same colors if I can find a matched pair in terms of diameters. Else, I will take one of each color so long as the diameters match. I'm still considering if it's more important to match color or diameter.

My studs are one F SI1 med blue one G VS2 no fluor. I bought the 2 stones separately and my criteria when getting the F was dimension and $. I had no intention to upgrade or sell in future. Can't tell them apart when placed side by side, let alone on ears. As to diameter it depends on your earlobes i suppose.

How is shape and size of your earlobes? Would the uncovered area be significantly different?

Will you sell / upgrade in future? Would the difference in color / diameter be issue for prospect buyer?

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Your question can be anwered in many ways, depending on how you see the question.

If the question is what is white or colorless enough, either option might do. I with or without fluorescence in a great cut is more than sufficiently colorless for many observers.

If the question is however if fluorescence is going to have a major positive effect on color-perception, the answer is maybe. The popular belief on PS seems to have become that fluorescence makes a stone appear whiter, period. That is not correct, I am afraid. It can have a positive effect on color-perception, but it can also have no effect.

Live long,

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

GreenBling|1397324053|3652418 said:
thecat|1397238757|3651865 said:

My studs are one F SI1 med blue one G VS2 no fluor. I bought the 2 stones separately and my criteria when getting the F was dimension and $. I had no intention to upgrade or sell in future. Can't tell them apart when placed side by side, let alone on ears. As to diameter it depends on your earlobes i suppose.

How is shape and size of your earlobes? Would the uncovered area be significantly different?

Will you sell / upgrade in future? Would the difference in color / diameter be issue for prospect buyer?
Greenbling, thanks for sharing your experience. In fact, I'm considering one pair of either F and G or G and H. Glad to know that it looks alright on the ears. I'm not sure if I will upgrade or sell in future.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Paul-Antwerp|1397337934|3652499 said:
If the question is however if fluorescence is going to have a major positive effect on color-perception, the answer is maybe. The popular belief on PS seems to have become that fluorescence makes a stone appear whiter, period. That is not correct, I am afraid. It can have a positive effect on color-perception, but it can also have no effect.

Live long,

Thanks for correcting my misconception of fluorescence on diamonds, Paul. :))

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I would concur with Paul. Visual effects of fluoro are far from automatic.

One of the concerns surrounding fluorescent diamonds in the market relates to the possibility that the property leads to over grading of color at the lab. So if the I color got the benefit of the doubt at the lab because of the fluoro, then it won't look like an H. But it might look like a J under light environments weak in UV.

The general bias in the market (pricing) of fluoro diamonds derives in part from this concern. Many shoppers look for diamonds with none or negligible fluoro in order to have extra confidence that if they are paying for a H they are getting an H.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Texas Leaguer|1397491113|3653259 said:

One of the concerns surrounding fluorescent diamonds in the market relates to the possibility that the property leads to over grading of color at the lab. So if the I color got the benefit of the doubt at the lab because of the fluoro, then it won't look like an H. But it might look like a J under light environments weak in UV.

The general bias in the market (pricing) of fluoro diamonds derives in part from this concern. Many shoppers look for diamonds with none or negligible fluoro in order to have extra confidence that if they are paying for a H they are getting an H.
Thanks for sharing this info. :)) I never knew that.

GreenBling

Brilliant_Rock

Very interesting. Two jewelers i frequently use advised me against fluor based on same concern.

I would expect GIA and AGS, being industry leaders have measures in place to ensure colors are accurately graded. And fluor being such common feature, that they should not misgrade because of it. Are you suggesting that that's not the case? When you say "...concerns...in the market...", are you referring to customer concerns or trades people concern?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

GreenBling|1397552192|3653629 said:

Very interesting. Two jewelers i frequently use advised me against fluor based on same concern.

I would expect GIA and AGS, being industry leaders have measures in place to ensure colors are accurately graded. And fluor being such common feature, that they should not misgrade because of it. Are you suggesting that that's not the case? When you say "...concerns...in the market...", are you referring to customer concerns or trades people concern?

There is and always has been concern in the trade about it. From early times diamond dealers paid lower prices for flourescent diamonds because they tended to mask their true color. The fact that fluorescence can sometimes negatively impact transparency added to the bias. Somewhat ironically, the latter problem is probably more of a concern for the consumer yet is by most estimates fairly rare. The overgrading problem is of most concern to the trade because it is likely much more prevalent.

There is a very interesting study on this topic by Michael Cowing. He rather persuasively lays out the issue and documents discrepancies of multiple color grades due to the influence of fluouresecence. http://www.acagemlab.com/temp/CowingOvergrading.pdf

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Just a short post to state that I think the problem of overgrading raised by Bryan has been overcome in the labs by now (I think, at least), and I do not see it as a concern in any case.

What concerns me more is the automatic assumption that fluorescence improves the perceived color of the stone. This may be the case, but it should not be assumed to be a given.

Live long,

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Paul-Antwerp|1397582252|3653845 said:
Just a short post to state that I think the problem of overgrading raised by Bryan has been overcome in the labs by now (I think, at least), and I do not see it as a concern in any case.

Live long,
Paul, I would be interested to understand what the labs have done to solve the overgrading issue with regard to fluorescent diamonds. It seems like there are some pretty well respected folks lobbying for new standards with regard to lighting environments and procedures, and a lot of the focus is on this particular issue. I understand that the Accredited Gemologists Association is launching “Phase 2” of their Task Force on Lighting and Color Grading.

From a consumer protection perspective, if there is a systematic overgrading problem with a significant subset of diamonds, it should be a concern.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would not limit myself to three diamonds when you can very easily match size, cut, and color for a pair of studs. I like fluorescence but would never buy unless both stones have it. If I went to a night club or somewhere with UV lighting (which is pretty rare), I'd want both stones to glow!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results